GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

R32 in-tank pump into GTI: Ankle grabbing fiasco

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door
I've been trying to install a MKV R32 fuel pump into my 2008 GTI (meant as an upgrade to support my new K04+ tune) and running into all sorts of problems with the installation.

So far the fuel lines on the pump have been a total bitch to deal with.I had to cut the retaining ring to be able to get it on around a fuel line that wouldn't come off the new pump (I put a fuel line back on before I remembered I needed the retaining ring first), and now the white top of the pump isn't going down far enough to seat itself where it's supposed to seal with the tank. It's sticking up about an inch too high. This pump is a tota PITA to install, and I don't know why it isn't seating properly.

Has anyone actually installed one of these? Is it supposed to fit without having to modify the "roof" or stilts part? Why won't it seat?

The R32 pump looks quite different from the MKV GTI pump. It has three corrugated tubes, one of which I blocked off hoping it's the crossover tube. The GTI pump only has one line, and what looks to be a vent tube. I'm not sure how the R32 pump's tubes/lines are supposed to connect with the fuel lines of the GTI itself. The GTI itself has a blue fuel line and a black one. I'm not sure how these should plug into the pump. Can anyone help with this? Like I said, the R32 pump isn't all that similar to the GTI one, so looking at the two didn't tell me much about how to connect fuel lines to the new pump.

I've searched like crazy and haven't found much information, or pictures of other people installing the R32 in-tank pump as a replacement/ upgrade in a GTI, and I'm in a bit of a panic since I need to get my car up and running tomorrow. If you can answer my questions or post a link that has useful picture, that'd be a big help. Thanks in advance.

vegasGTI

Go Kart Champion
Wish I could help haven't done this install before

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Try a post in the R32 discussion forum? Someone there may have experience with the pump at least.

eurocars

5/17/15 - Never forget
Car(s)
2006 GTI
So, like I posted in the fb group, you got the correct line capped off. Shouldn't have to cut anything, make sure the uninstalled heights are the same. USUALLY, people just swap the physical pump but you should be able to swap the basket as well. Any more problems, pm me your cell number and I'll try to guide you thru it. Good luck

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door
So, like I posted in the fb group, you got the correct line capped off. Shouldn't have to cut anything, make sure the uninstalled heights are the same. USUALLY, people just swap the physical pump but you should be able to swap the basket as well. Any more problems, pm me your cell number and I'll try to guide you thru it. Good luck

Thank you, Eric and vegas.

I should have compared the uninstalled heights; don't know why I didn't think to do that, I guess I assumed it was going to be a straightforward installation. Lol at njdubber's comment in another thread that it's a 15 minute job, heh. I took that literally, and underestimated the level of difficulty and the amount of time it would take to deal with fuel lines etc., ended up hurrying to try to get my car running to be able to go out tonight, and ran out of daylight. The fact that it was raining and below 40 degrees F outside while I was working didn't make the job any funner. :frown:

I'll try again in the morning. I'll probably take you up on your offer to guide me through some of the steps.

the fuel lines are a bit weird, you have to pinch them just right and then they pop right off.

the pressure regulator is in the fuel filter so there is one feed and one return, on non-AWD cars.

i did my lpfp swap at 1fastgli's house in henderson nv, but i just shoved in the pump that he pulled out of his GLI. I don't even know if he has an account here - that's his vortex handle.

He had paid an ungodly sum of money for an upgraded pump that had a yellow hat and looked like it had an extra corrugated line that was looped back or something.

In both cases, it was a 15 minute job.

sorry to hear this has gone pear shaped for you.

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3
I can't offer help on a R32 pump, but am wondering why you need this at all. My original in-tank pump did fail on my 08 w/K04, I installed the latest VW OEM part and ran another 3 yrs at the track without issues. I consume over a tank a day at track day conditions so it gets a workout!

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door
In retrospect I would have gotten the revision pump. This @%#@$ job is kicking my ass. It shouldn't be so hard, but for the life of me I can't get my rusty mangled piece of shit retaining ring on. It's 30* outside and falling, it's dark, and I'm so frustrated I feel like crying. Fuck this fucking shit.

Is there any way to get a new retaining ring in a hurry?

It appears to be part number 12 in the diagram, but I can't find a part number for it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VOLKSWAGEN-...es&fits=Model:GTI&hash=item2a35a876d0&vxp=mtr

Last edited:
Car(s)
Subaru
In retrospect I would have gotten the revision pump. This @%#@$ job is kicking my ass. It shouldn't be so hard, but for the life of me I can't get my rusty mangled piece of shit retaining ring on. It's 30* outside and falling, it's dark, and I'm so frustrated I feel like crying. Fuck this fucking shit.

It appears to be part number 12 in the diagram, but I can't find a part number for it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VOLKSWAGEN-...es&fits=Model:GTI&hash=item2a35a876d0&vxp=mtr

can you go to hoemdepot or lowes or somehing? idk what they look like but might be able to use something like that, right?

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door
can you go to hoemdepot or lowes or somehing? idk what they look like but might be able to use something like that, right?

The lock ring is too precisely fitted a part, with angled teeth and seven notches around the edge, so I couldn't fab something well enough to make it fit.

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3
I may have a spare lock ring, I also have the correct lock ring tool, which is really preferable to installing with a hammer and screwdriver, the tool allows you to tighten to correct torque. If you are interested in borrowing the tool drop me a PM.

eurocars

5/17/15 - Never forget
Car(s)
2006 GTI

that ring only goes in one direction. You will have to line up the tabs to locate it correctly. Put your orange sealing ring on the tank first

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door
Got this fucker running again. I was able to get the @@#%^&## ring on by spending a couple of hours prying the tabs on the tank, filing rust off the ring, and carefully knife-edging the leading edges of all the teeth on the ring, and hogging out the notches so I'd have more room to work with when getting them to slide under all those crappy tabs.

I'm not sure it's seated properly because I'm still smelling gas, but I'm not sure if it's residual vapors or fuel seepage, but I'll check it out more closely tomorrow because it's time to get on with my life.