GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Question for Driver Gear spring owners

Simmsled

Parking Garage > Tree
Car(s)
its not special.
I just ordered the DG springs and will be having them installed the same time I put my 18" Detroits on in a couple weeks. I have 225/50/17 winter tires on the car right now, should I be worried about them rubbing when I put them back on next winter? Thanks

.....and sorry for resurrecting this old thread

No problem whatsoever. You'll love them! What dampers (shocks) are you using?

vandub

Good to know. I'm just gonna use the stock dampers for now. The dealership said it would be no problem. When they do eventually die I'll spring for a set of Koni fsd. The stock ride height has bugged me ever since I bought the car, I'm sick of pulling up next to minivans with less wheel gap lol. This thread sold me on the DG's, can't wait to see what it looks like in person.

VancouverGTI

Go Kart Champion
You'll love `em. They're designed to work with the stock dampers, and they work well! The car will settle over a few weeks to a really nice height, and it's the best overall, most problem-free way to drop your car.

Best mod I've made, at least in the "no problems" department.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
has any1 pair dg springs with koni yellows?

I don't think so, and I don't think you'd probably like the results either....well for the money spent anyways (DG springs are $240 + Konis are $600)

DG springs + stock dampers is the best setup & cheapest solution
Had them on my MKV & even now on my MKVI

But if you had the Konis laying around....then yeah I'd try it. Shouldn't be any issues at all

Simmsled

Parking Garage > Tree
Car(s)
its not special.
I don't think so, and I don't think you'd probably like the results either....well for the money spent anyways (DG springs are $240 + Konis are $600)

DG springs + stock dampers is the best setup & cheapest solution
Had them on my MKV & even now on my MKVI

But if you had the Konis laying around....then yeah I'd try it. Shouldn't be any issues at all

I am going to agree and then disagree with you on this one, Dan. I agree that merely installing them together would likely produce less than optimal results. Now, because the Koni Sports (yellows) are adjustable for rebound, they could be tuned to pair very well with the DG springs. Koni Sports have come down in price thus making them a more attractive buy. You can get a new set for around $480.

However, I would not recommend the Koni Sports over a good lower mileage set of stock dampers for two reasons;
1. Cost savings. [Why buy new dampers if yours still have a lot of life in them?]
2. The stock dampers work great with the DG springs. [Rides & handles! …think enjoyment, not headaches]

On the other hand, if you’re up for replacing the stock dampers anyway… I believe the Koni Sports would be an absolutely perfect upgrade if you’re willing to tune them. When my stock dampers wear out, I’ll have Koni Sports. FSDs do not satisfy IMHO, and Bilstein HD’s are still too pricey (but a great alternative if you don’t feel like tuning the ride yourself).

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Well my whole point was yes they would work & they're a great damper

BUT I wouldn't go out of my way to spend $500 if I had a good/newer set of stock dampers laying around

Even so if they did wear out....I'd probably find a set of newer take-offs for $100 and do the stock damper setup again instead of paying $500 for Konis still

Why spend the extra money when you don't have to? That's my take on it.

Plus I'm de-modding and on a budget now anyways, lol

I was going to buy the DG springs, but the VW dealer catalog don't show DG springs for 5-door. I didn't know if I should get them, at the end, I went with the H&R.

So did you endup finding DG springs for the 5-door?

strubby

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
07 GTI DSG
Resurrecting this thread! A lot of great info in here.

I'm thinking of getting the Driver Gear springs for our '07 GTI DSG because the g/f's last car ('00 Cougar) had Sportlines and Koni Yellow Adj and she hated how low it was (though it looked great). Unfotunately I have to compromise with her, as she drives the car as much as me. Stock dampers have around 20k on them, so I think it'd be a great, affordable upgrade. On Keffer VW's site, part# 1K0071678A (I believe is correct for 2-door DSG) is $213.75 plus shipping. Can Paul do better than this? It's otherwise the BEST price I've found. Any other comments/suggestions? I can't wait to make this great car look like, well, a car!

Edit: Forgot to ask, now that many of you should have put miles on this setup, are you still happy? Sounds like it'll be great for a DD (and sometimes-ditzy-female-driver).

DUSlider

Ready to race!
Car(s)
16' GTI SE/PP
Really doubt Paul can do better than $213. That's actually a good price for those springs, retail is $285.

Only thing I can say is to go to your local dealer and see if they can match Pauls price, or Pauls price plus what you'd pay for shipping so you don't have to wait.

strubby

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
07 GTI DSG
Thanks for the info, shot Paul an email anyways. I noticed these springs are $20-30 LESS than some of the other part numbers. Maybe some other numbers I checked were for MKVIs?

So my local VW dealer would have these in stock? I thought they still ordered them. I can call tomorrow and ask. But I'm more than willing to pay the $213 if not.

DUSlider

Ready to race!
Car(s)
16' GTI SE/PP
They'd probably have to order them as well. I'd just like to give my local dealer business if they are worthy of it.

strubby

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
07 GTI DSG
They'd probably have to order them as well. I'd just like to give my local dealer business if they are worthy of it.

Agreed! Shipped price from Keffer's is $227.74, we'll see what VW of Daytona says tomorrow. :cool:

dave80

Go Kart Champion
Agreed! Shipped price from Keffer's is $227.74, we'll see what VW of Daytona says tomorrow. :cool:

I doubt they will beat $230, and you will get the springs from Keffer in like 3-5 days. My local dealers would only sell the dg springs at retail price:thumbdown: