GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Question for Driver Gear spring owners

seanmcd

World's Greatest Driver
Car(s)
2008 VW Rabbit
So does this confirm oe part #, or are they different from stock?
Those are the part numbers of the buffers/bumpstops that come with the Driver Gear springs. They are different from the stock ones, at least on the Rabbit.

KiwiKawaii

Ready to race!
I just got the drivergear springs at the dealer, and they also included these suspension limiters. They said that it's required when installing the springs for cars with 17" and 18" wheels. Are these definitely required? I don't really remember many people installing these while putting springs on.

KiwiKawaii

Ready to race!
It's not that I don't want to install them but just from the thinking I've been doing, it doesn't seem to make much sense.

By installing the drivergear springs (which are shorter than stock) already reduces suspension travel.
Putting on these suspension limiters which I suppose are installed under the bumpstop, therefore raising the height of the bumpstops, thus causing the suspension to make contact with the bumpstops more often? :iono:

Maybe it's to prevent the stock dampers from wearing out prematurely?

Btw hows the stock dampers doing with the springs VancouverGTI?

VancouverGTI

Go Kart Champion
Well, you've got me there... I thought suspension limiters and bump stops were the same thing!

The stock dampers are doing really well though. The car's still nice and tight, without a hint of wiggle, and rebound is perfectly controlled. Makes me think I'll get at least another year or two out of `em, and anything after that'll be a bonus. :biggrin:

rba

My GTI is at Capilano getting the springs installed, and my Huffs back on. I won't miss the Altimax snow tires ploughing through the corners. I am looking forward to seeing how different it feels. I have a Golf MK6, automatic, as a loaner.

By the way, Capilano is doing it for $440 including alignment.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Looks great! Feels a bit tighter, slightly firmer, and the nose doesn't lift up when you accelerate.

Me happy!

Add a bigger rear sway bar & it'll handle even better!!! (I promise)

I used to have these springs, but wanted to go lower & so I went with the Eibach Sportlines.
Perfect height now, but since they're progressive springs....the handling is soft at first

I love how the DG springs handled, but just weren't low enough

vandub

I just ordered the DG springs and will be having them installed the same time I put my 18" Detroits on in a couple weeks. I have 225/50/17 winter tires on the car right now, should I be worried about them rubbing when I put them back on next winter? Thanks

.....and sorry for resurrecting this old thread