GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Question about cam follower

Lord

Hi, I'm new here :help: :thumbsup:

Maybe it will be stupid question for someone.. But I need help...

I'm looking to buy MK5 GTI, and read a lot of this car. I found this little problem for FSI engine, cam follower. For me it's not problem to change, but problem is how can I determine when buying car is cam follower in good condition, or maybe he changed cam follower but camshaft is ruined, without opening HPFP?

Thanks in advance!

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
You can't without removing the HPFP. Removing the HPFP allows you to see the actual cam lobe and see if it is smooth and shiny with only an appearance of light wear.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Definitely look at the cam lobe. I helped a guy with an Audi A4w/2.0t FSI. He checked his CF and found the CF worn completely through, the hpfp piston's cap was gone and the piston-tip was worn as well. All that means the cam lobe was worn too and he asked me for a slightly used CF. He put it into his car...then I found he was selling it and he described in his Advertisement that he had checked the CF and found it to be in great shape.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Definitely look at the cam lobe. I helped a guy with an Audi A4w/2.0t FSI. He checked his CF and found the CF worn completely through, the hpfp piston's cap was gone and the piston-tip was worn as well. All that means the cam lobe was worn too and he asked me for a slightly used CF. He put it into his car...then I found he was selling it and he described in his Advertisement that he had checked the CF and found it to be in great shape.

WOOOOOW, man are their some shady ass people in the world.

vwengineer

Ready to race!
Exactly my thoughts, while I can understand the descision to try to get rid of the car. If you don't mind screwing someone just say nothing. If I bought the car of a guy saying the cam follower is in a good shape! only to get an EPC light and fuel cuts 1000 miles later for sure the guy would ear from me

Lord

Thanks for answering! :thumbsup:

I will call an authorized service for vw, they will check the car before buying.

I think that's the best way to do it.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Exactly my thoughts, while I can understand the descision to try to get rid of the car. If you don't mind screwing someone just say nothing. If I bought the car of a guy saying the cam follower is in a good shape! only to get an EPC light and fuel cuts 1000 miles later for sure the guy would ear from me
Yeah, I know. He made a point to say in his Ad, "one of the common problems with these is the HPFP's CF, but he checked it and all was in good shape". He had recently bought the car and I advised him to check the CF because it had 180k miles on it and the CF service was not listed on its full service history.

I gave him one of my CF's I replaced at one of my recent CF interval swaps that still had most of the DLC on it...just to get him through to the time he could get a new HPFP and intake cam. That's what he asked for anyhow :iono:

So, with our engines and those looking to but one, I tell them all to have the CF and cam checked.