GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Porsche Boxster Caliper, swap crosstube?

Vento 3

Oettinger GLi
I have just got my NQSBBK (Boxter Non-S + Stock GTI rotor) installed a week ago, and just remember i read from here that i am suppose to swap the cross tub because Porsche mount them in and we mount them out?

Not 100% sure what does swapping the cross tube will do, but i am seeing a small amount of surface (closer to the hub) that has not been touch by the pads on the rotor, thou i have not "run-in" the pads yet. Not sure if thats the problem.

also, swapping it will need to re-do my brake fluid?

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
You need to swap the tube so the bleeder is located towards the top of the caliper. From Porsche they arre mounted the other way (towards the rear) so the orientation changes when we use them mounted on the front and the bleeder is at the bottom of the caliper. You will need to bleed the front brakes when you do this as air will be in the caliper.

Just make sure you use a line pinch tool on the rubber line (if stainless braided you can't do this) to keep fluid from draining out of the line and air going in.

Vento 3

Oettinger GLi
thanks for your reply, so would this make the caliper grab evenly?
i already have my bleeder facing upwards, does that mean my mechanic install it Left/Right incorrectly? he just told me the bleeder valve/cap has to face up.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
thanks for your reply, so would this make the caliper grab evenly?
i already have my bleeder facing upwards, does that mechanic install it Left/Right incorrectly? he just told me the bleeder valve/cap has to face up.

Did you buy the setup used? There is a left and right caliper, however that shouldn't make a difference as to how much surface area the pad makes contact with. If you could post a picture that might help. The pad should not overlap the rotor, there will be a small edge on the inner and outer edge it won't contact.

If the system was not bled properly the pistons will hit unevenly, causing the pad to wear at an angle or heavier wear on the inner or outer pad.