GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

POLL- Do You Have The Throw Out Bearing -TOB -Squeal/Howl Noise? Vid Clip Included

Do You Have The Throw out Bearing- TOB- Squeal/Howl?

• YES

Votes: 146 67.9%
  • NO

Votes: 69 32.1%

• Total voters

Lloyd Dobbler

Passed Driver's Ed
I just bought my car (CPO 2009 GTI) and of course didn't get the sound driving it off the warm showroom floor.

Took it in two weeks later as it keeps making this squeal when cold and they tell me it needs a clutch, flywheel and throw-out bearing and that will not be covered by warranty.

I'm following up with the sales department, cuz this is a joke. How do you certify a car and then tell me it needs a new clutch?

I can live with the sound if they won't fix it for free, but really...

Hadoukyuu

Passed Driver's Ed
Update on my car: Took it to the dealer. Apparently, they found a small fluid leak in the transmission and they ordered the parts that were affected by it. Since they're an APR dealer as well, I asked to install the APR DXD clutch system in the car since they already took the transmission apart. It'll be a week before I get the car back, I'll keep you guys posted when I get the details after the job is done.

nicolasl46

Go Kart Champion
Wow, and I always thought this was normal. It doesn't happen on my '11, but it used to happen on my '09, and it was a lot worst when cold.

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
Update on my car: Took it to the dealer. Apparently, they found a small fluid leak in the transmission and they ordered the parts that were affected by it. Since they're an APR dealer as well, I asked to install the APR DXD clutch system in the car since they already took the transmission apart. It'll be a week before I get the car back, I'll keep you guys posted when I get the details after the job is done.

We need specifics on the parts they ordered and where the leak was caused from. This could be big.

Hadoukyuu

Passed Driver's Ed
We need specifics on the parts they ordered and where the leak was caused from. This could be big.

Same thing as Sieran from Allset's other thread. Slave cylinder had a small leak. Since I ordered the APR DXD Clutch kit I'm assuming they're replacing the other parts not included in the kit? Once I get the repair order from Douglas VW Ill post it online.

Just got my GTI back... Major difference on how the clutch feels too. Looks like i had more wrong than just the squeal. I wish i could have taken pictures of the parts that were removed...

I will post more updates as I drive it more.

allset

Go Kart Champion

if u had the squeal and they said u have a small fluid leak, its probably the slave cylinder seal which is the cause of most of this nonsense

Hadoukyuu

Passed Driver's Ed
Yea, while browsing your other thread Sieran had the same thing as me. Now I can't wait to see what the car feels like with the Sound Bend DXD clutch kit installed.

allset

Go Kart Champion
Yea, while browsing your other thread Sieran had the same thing as me. Now I can't wait to see what the car feels like with the Sound Bend DXD clutch kit installed.

from what i hear its a good kit. Its going to bite harder off the line and into each gear.

GTIIIIIIIII!!!!

Ready to race!
I also have this clutch squeal.

cameltoejoe

Wow, and I always thought this was normal. It doesn't happen on my '11, but it used to happen on my '09, and it was a lot worst when cold.

Same, but this happens on my 2011(62000KM) mostly while its cold out. Fawk I wonder what else happens on my car that I think is normal...

MerkXR4

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey all - just became a MKVI owner, 2010 Autobahn Carbon Gray. It was bought used from a Mitsubishi dealer and I test drove it earlier in the month (I'm in Bergen County, NJ) when it was warmer and didn't hear the sound at all. It is now colder (16 degrees F driving to work today) and I heard it. I've also heard it a few times before today as well. The car has 36,000 miles and is stock/unmodified.

I bought an additional warranty from the Mitsu dealer with the car for 5years/60,000 miles. Have people out there had success bringing it into the dealer and at least having them replace some parts to try and fix the issue? I wouldn't love to have VW take some action on this issue.

New question: for those of you who have had this issue for more than 10,000 miles - have you ever had any other issues related to it, such as a failed transmission or anything? I'm just worried about the long-term effects of it being like this.

allset

Go Kart Champion
Hey all - just became a MKVI owner, 2010 Autobahn Carbon Gray. It was bought used from a Mitsubishi dealer and I test drove it earlier in the month (I'm in Bergen County, NJ) when it was warmer and didn't hear the sound at all. It is now colder (16 degrees F driving to work today) and I heard it. I've also heard it a few times before today as well. The car has 36,000 miles and is stock/unmodified.

I bought an additional warranty from the Mitsu dealer with the car for 5years/60,000 miles. Have people out there had success bringing it into the dealer and at least having them replace some parts to try and fix the issue? I wouldn't love to have VW take some action on this issue.

New question: for those of you who have had this issue for more than 10,000 miles - have you ever had any other issues related to it, such as a failed transmission or anything? I'm just worried about the long-term effects of it being like this.

see this thread:

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28837&highlight=throw+bearing

allset

Go Kart Champion

if u have the squeal from a stop as u engage into 1st especially in the cold u prob have the faulty leaking TOB. The fact u have a 2010 i can almost guarantee u have the faulty 2 piece slave TOB "E" version.

The o ring leaks fluid onto the flywheel disc and pressure plate causing friction issues. u are slowly losing brake and clutch fluid since they draw from the same reserve. i had it for 28,000 miles b4 i changed it. i didnt have any damage but many have. It can cause scorching and blueing of the flywheel and eventual failure. get it addressed under warranty while u can. on the link above is all the info u will need