GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

POLL- Do You Have The Throw Out Bearing -TOB -Squeal/Howl Noise? Vid Clip Included

Do You Have The Throw out Bearing- TOB- Squeal/Howl?

• YES

Votes: 146 67.9%
  • NO

Votes: 69 32.1%

• Total voters

DJEuphoria

Go Kart Champion
i got the noise at just under 20k on my 2011

i was worried i was alone in this. i saw a thread about it before too that made me fell a bit better knowing it's not just me haha

i brought it up at my 20k service but it usually only happens on cold starts and the service department really had no interest to sit there and try and replicate the sound.

allset

Go Kart Champion

allset

Go Kart Champion
i got the noise at just under 20k on my 2011

i was worried i was alone in this. i saw a thread about it before too that made me fell a bit better knowing it's not just me haha

i brought it up at my 20k service but it usually only happens on cold starts and the service department really had no interest to sit there and try and replicate the sound.

in the begining it only happened cold too. Now it happens warm, cold, etc.

Sieran

Ready to race!
in the begining it only happened cold too. Now it happens warm, cold, etc.

Mine has now evolved into doing this also... it's to the point that i dread going to any parking complex because everyone stops and stares as I stop and go in traffic looking for a parking spot.

There is no way this should be accepted as "characteristic". I can't think of any other stock vehicle that turns dozens of heads in a parking lot just from stopping and going. I mean this car is pretty and all... but not that damn pretty.

Has anyone had any luck with this yet? Going to start making appointments with my dealer now.

allset

Go Kart Champion
Mine has now evolved into doing this also... it's to the point that i dread going to any parking complex because everyone stops and stares as I stop and go in traffic looking for a parking spot.

There is no way this should be accepted as "characteristic". I can't think of any other stock vehicle that turns dozens of heads in a parking lot just from stopping and going. I mean this car is pretty and all... but not that damn pretty.

Has anyone had any luck with this yet? Going to start making appointments with my dealer now.

lol, i know. its embarrasing. mine now does it from a level start. no hill or load required.

Im putting in the revised TOB this friday as part of a clutch upgrade but iv heard that one alos squeals, so we'll see i guess. There is no other option right now.

OldDirty

Ready to race!
It seems like it can't be just the ToB if Hyde replaced it and the new one started doing it two weeks later. The vast majority of cars don't exhibit this behavior, so Hyde would have to be extremely unlucky to get two bad ToBs in a row if that part is the sole source of the problem.

jjhan85

Passed Driver's Ed
Is this covered by warranty?

I have this same issue too. Im at like 32,000 - 33,000 miles right now...

03boostedGTi

Ready to race!
2011 with 15k stage2 makes the noise. i found out its only when the trans is still cold. or when there is stress on it, I.E getting up a steep drive way or hill or just taking off at 3k rpm but since i have the tq insert and the trans insert i noticed it does it almost 100% of the time in reverse, im currently saving up for a clutch since mine slips way to much anyway so im not to worried but does anyone have this problem not flashed?

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
It seems like it can't be just the ToB if Hyde replaced it and the new one started doing it two weeks later. The vast majority of cars don't exhibit this behavior, so Hyde would have to be extremely unlucky to get two bad ToBs in a row if that part is the sole source of the problem.

Word

Sieran

Ready to race!
2011 but since i have the tq insert and the trans insert i noticed it does it almost 100% of the time in reverse

So, how many people that have this noise have installed the trans mount and insert?

I installed the one that slides into the torque mount about 9 months ago. I wonder if i should be removing that now. However, my noise existed before installing the mount insert and didn't seem to get worse until this winter hit.

CobraKing

Ready to race!

It's more than the just the ToB - I've had Revisions D & F in my car. There's an engineering or parts deficiency with the manual transmission equipped on 2008.5+ TFSI motor vehicles.

I'd venture to say that almost all the 2008.5+ 6MT cars have this issue however those of us in colder climates experience it the most. Some people have other 'noises' coming from their car so this one takes a back seat. Others could simply care less.

For those that do care and who have stock/unmodified cars and have had warranty work performed already - PLEASE CALL VWoA / VWoC Client Relations and complain. Expect some resistance but don't let this obvious defect slide.