GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

POLL- Do You Have The Throw Out Bearing -TOB -Squeal/Howl Noise? Vid Clip Included

Do You Have The Throw out Bearing- TOB- Squeal/Howl?

• YES

Votes: 146 67.9%
  • NO

Votes: 69 32.1%

• Total voters

allset

Go Kart Champion
Im trying to get a count on how many forum members have this problem. VW issued a revised TOB which also seems to be faulty, so right now there is no option to fix this horrible noise. A couple of us in the forum are collecting info and pooling resources from multiple points on this TOB issue and are contacting VW and the companies that make the TOB. There is no TOB available at this point that hasnt failed in this manner.

I will use the numbers as part of an appeal to VWOA on this part.

Other thread on this issue where u can add your info and get more on the issue: http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?p=462232&posted=1#post462232

Vid clip of the TOB squeal:

Last edited:

allset

Go Kart Champion
ttt

OldDirty

Ready to race!
For reference I don't have the noise, and I replaced my ToB when I had my Southbend disc only installed this year.....no problems with it just figured I should. I bought the new ToB from my dealership.

2010 GTI built in 2009, about 10k miles on the original ToB and 4k miles on the new one. My car gets stored for the winter, hence the low miles.

BeauG

Ready to race!
2011, no squeal here.

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
Paul (Bender), I know you had the scientific clutch failure thread, Paul (Allset) is trying to create a list of MKVI owners who have this issue to raise the concern to VWOA.
This poll is really to bring out the people who have the issue, not really establish a percentage which as you said can be skewed. We’re trying to create a list to show the quantity of unexplained noises when engaging 1st or reverse. Do you have any theories on what could cause it?

kthor7031

Go Kart Champion
Just started hearing it recently in the Cold. 23k miles. Stage 2.

Bender1

Banned
Paul (Bender), I know you had the scientific clutch failure thread, Paul (Allset) is trying to create a list of MKVI owners who have this issue to raise the concern to VWOA.
This poll is really to bring out the people who have the issue, not really establish a percentage which as you said can be skewed. We’re trying to create a list to show the quantity of unexplained noises when engaging 1st or reverse. Do you have any theories on what could cause it?

Totally understand, just calling it out as to get any action from VW you will need statistically reliable numbers and/or loads of complaints. You get everyone that reports it on here to issue it as a complaint you are well on your way.

I am sure its a TOB issue. My guess is that it would be jjuuusssttt out of spec.

allset

Go Kart Champion
Totally understand, just calling it out as to get any action from VW you will need statistically reliable numbers and/or loads of complaints. You get everyone that reports it on here to issue it as a complaint you are well on your way.

I am sure its a TOB issue. My guess is that it would be jjuuusssttt out of spec.

damn bender, we have the same/close build date and year......... i had it since 2k and u dont.

it will be impossible to ID a pattern; VW must fix this, its embarrasing when it happens in traffic.

allset

Go Kart Champion
BTW, simply by being here you are likely to get a skewed answer in favor of HAVING the noise.

Same thing with clutch failures. Failure rate here was about 10% but in real world it is likely more like 2-3%

actually its going the other way, wow.didnt expect this.

12/8/11 @ 6:50pm : 12 yes have the noise - 21 No dont have the noise

Bender1

Banned
Not sure didnt know a clutch could be misaligned.

Well its unlikely yours is now.

Pilot Bearing is still possible if not part of your new kit.?

Could be harmonics of a specific vibration... it might not be a mechanical issue, frankly.