GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Pistons

taaj

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI mkv
hi, tried to find a thread that talked about changing the OEM piston to lower compression pistons
however has anyone with a k03 changed their pistons from 10.5 to 9.5 on OEM bore? what were the gains? any Pictures of the install?
do you need to change the Rods as well to compliment the lower compression pistons?

eurocars

5/17/15 - Never forget
Car(s)
2006 GTI
hi, tried to find a thread that talked about changing the OEM piston to lower compression pistons
however has anyone with a k03 changed their pistons from 10.5 to 9.5 on OEM bore? what were the gains? any Pictures of the install?
do you need to change the Rods as well to compliment the lower compression pistons?

by lowering compression, you will will lose horsepower especially with a k03. The reason you would have to lower compression is for a high-boost big turbo application. Rod length stays the same with lower compression pistons. If you're looking to make more power than stock internals can handle, upgrade the rods first.

taaj

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI mkv
i plan to stay k03 turbo, but make power using alternatives to K04
is Water methanol an alterantive solution, waht other options do i explore
right now i got a 3" DP, Remus catback, KN intake, Stage 2Unitronic, R8 coilpacks, S3 IC

Car(s)
Subaru
i plan to stay k03 turbo, but make power using alternatives to K04
is Water methanol an alterantive solution, waht other options do i explore
right now i got a 3" DP, Remus catback, KN intake, Stage 2Unitronic, R8 coilpacks, S3 IC

you pretty much maxed out the k03. you could go s2+, but its not really worth it if you dont plan on going with a bigger turbo later imo.

Fernas

Mexibahn Native
Car(s)
MKV GLI "Red Baron"
With a k03 you are limited to something around 240whp, no need (and no benefit) to do internal work to the engine, you should think about doing rods once going bigger than K04/F23T, this last one might benefit from doing it because of the bigger than k04 power it makes.

taaj

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI mkv
would it be beneficial to bore the piston chamber to 83,5mm but retain the piston compression 10.5 of course chagning rods too

Duster117

Ready to race!
would it be beneficial to bore the piston chamber to 83,5mm but retain the piston compression 10.5 of course chagning rods too

The problem is your wanting to stay stock k03 turbo. It is maxed out at this point.
Until u upgrade the turbo there is no reason to do engine upgrades.
U will not gain anything without a turbo upgrade.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
I think everyone has drilled it in but rods and pistons would be "supporting mods" and are not "power making mods" for our cars. The stock rods and pistons can "support" anything you might do with a K03 turbo. The K03 turbo only flows so much and the stock motor can handle it fine. In fact the stock motor seems to do quite well even when you put a larger K04 turbo on it in most cases.

zecgti

IDGAF
If ur in dire need of more power with ur k03..get a hpfp and water/meth (and s2+ tune ofcourse)

Those r ur last options for power on k03
ofcourse there a whole bunch of mods that will help u put ur power to the ground effecitvely: suspension components, engine/trans mounts, lsd etc etc

mrbikle

Go Kart Champion
put rods in it,lower compression, run nitrous. Wizards of nos have a FSi specific kit, you can make ~350-400 whp easily.

taaj

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI mkv
i have opened the engine
viewing connecting rod options, kindly advice best to go with OEM pistons and Golf R K04

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Why do you want lower comp pistons?

Disregarding the danger of detonation...by lowering the compression you will lose low-end torque and driveability as well as not gain much at the top-end due to it being a K03. Then you will also need to run more boost pressure if you lower the compression to maintain previous boost levels...another thing the K03 will have trouble with. It feels like you have some sort of fascination with lower comp pistons that are great for a huge turbo and together running the motor at top revs for extended durations of time.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI