GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Passenger Occupancy Sensor/Airbag Fault – Anyone Repair This Themselves?

TycoGTI

Fix Or Sell?
'07 GTI. My airbag light is on. The problem is with the passenger occupancy sensor. Took it to the dealer and they quoted me $2200 to fix the problem. Said there was no signal coming from the sensor and they have to replace the whole seat.

I've taken the seats out several times to fix the clip that makes the seats go back to the right place when you slide them (it's a 2-door) and last year I swapped out my camshaft, so I feel competent to do this kind of repair myself.

Has anyone fixed this themselves? I've searched here and on Votex and have either seen people cough up the money to have the dealer do it or have someway disabled the airbag light. I'm interested in a legit repair. My inspection is up soon and it won't pass with the airbag light on.

The chances of the part being faulty are very slim. More than likely, you moved the seat funny or had a loose connection.

Unplug battery, unclip airbag harness plug, clean everything out with contact cleaner, dry, clip back in, and plug in battery. After that's done, have someone with VCDS clear your airbag fault. Chances are, it wont come back

Spectre

Ready to race!
Mine came on after I replaced the head unit. I coded it off but had to unplug the battery and it's back on. Whatever.

LilRaverBoi

Optometrist Prime
The dealership that I bought my car from replaced some sensor in the passenger seat for the airbag the day I took possession of the car. The part, they said was cheap enough, but the whole process looked like a bit of a pain in the ass since they had to remove and disassemble the seat to replace it.

$2200 is insane, though. That's crazy money for something so stupid.

Last edited:

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
I believe you can jumper the sensor and be done with it.

TycoGTI

Fix Or Sell?
No joy.

The chances of the part being faulty are very slim. More than likely, you moved the seat funny or had a loose connection.

Unplug battery, unclip airbag harness plug, clean everything out with contact cleaner, dry, clip back in, and plug in battery. After that's done, have someone with VCDS clear your airbag fault. Chances are, it wont come back

Tried this last weekend. Got the airbag light off for a few seconds but came back on again. I'm hoping that I can plug a good sensor in and get it to pass state inspection, then deal with taking apart the seat when I have the time.

As far as jumping the sensor, ideally I'd like to fix the problem, so that if I get in an accident and there is a passenger in the car the airbag will deploy properly.

Anyone know the part # for this? I'm having trouble tracking it down. It looks like you may have to order the entire bottom of the seat. A new one goes for around $1500 which would make the dealership estimate with labor about right. Obviously, I'd just buy a used passenger seat before spending that kind of money.

As far as jumping the sensor, ideally I'd like to fix the problem, so that if I get in an accident and there is a passenger in the car the airbag will deploy properly.

Anyone know the part # for this? I'm having trouble tracking it down. It looks like you may have to order the entire bottom of the seat. A new one goes for around $1500 which would make the dealership estimate with labor about right. Obviously, I'd just buy a used passenger seat before spending that kind of money.

Airbag will go off if it senses someone in the passenger seat. Jumping the sensor in this case would force the seat to believe someone is there, even when the seat is empty. http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...Airbag-Resistor-trick-w-Pressure-Sensor-Trick. Likely not legal but do what you gotta do.

Check here for more info including part #. http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?6908553-Passenger-seat-occupancy-sensor-installation