GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

oil change gone bad

Red-Vader

Ready to race!
yesterday before work, i got an oil change at a local place. after 14 miles of driving, i parked my car, and noticed oil all over the ground........apparently something to do with the oil filter.....anyways, im pissed.

so here's my question: even thought there was no oil on the dipstick, the shop said there was still 3 quarts or so in the car. If i drove 14 miles of normal driving, would that be enough to cause engine damage?

shortwave360

dub junkie
Car(s)
'08 GTi 6MT
You are fine buddy. Sounds like the plastic housing is done for around your filter. ECS IIRC makes an alloy version. They should do the work... but after the screw up I'd just ask for money to make the repairs on your own.

Red-Vader

Ready to race!
You are fine buddy. Sounds like the plastic housing is done for around your filter. ECS IIRC makes an alloy version. They should do the work... but after the screw up I'd just ask for money to make the repairs on your own.

so how is it the car still had oil in it??? there was a massive puddle of oil in the road....wouldnt that cause rings and bearings to be shot?

shortwave360

dub junkie
Car(s)
'08 GTi 6MT
I can't speak gospel about the issue, but I can give you my experience with low oil. I've gotten many cars down to dry sticks and run the piss out of them with loud lifters before I brought the levels back up. No issues ever came of my many many abusive runs with prior and current VWs.

I've been to a meet before where you buy a raffle ticket and guess how many minutes a old 1.8 8v can run without any oil. I think it was over 5 mins or something crazy. Bone dry!

If you really had 3 quarts in there, that would jive with a dry stick on the mkv IIRC. The filter housing is no where near the lowest point in the system and was only leaking while under pressure most likely. Lots of people here have driven on a dry stick I can guarantee it. Our cars guzzle/burn oil like a fiend and some of the people here don't watch it very close at all.

You caught it real quick and that will be your savior. I wouldn't just let it be though. Check the paperwork, talk to a lawyer if you need to, have a VW dealership verify engine health and never have someone change your oil again that doesn't LOVE VWs and knows their stuff. I think that most likely you are protected to a certain extent. Don't let them just blow you off completely if you really feel you are at risk. Cracked filter housings are a common thing on our cars and most knowledgable techs are aware of the weakness.

Good luck man. I really think it'll be okay though. I really don't think you will have a problem. Your oil pressure buzzer would have gone off if you were really low and thats a precursor to a problem. You didn't hear that so I feel like you are good to go. Replace with alloy housing and don't worry about it again.

Red-Vader

Ready to race!
I can't speak gospel about the issue, but I can give you my experience with low oil. I've gotten many cars down to dry sticks and run the piss out of them with loud lifters before I brought the levels back up. No issues ever came of my many many abusive runs with prior and current VWs.

I've been to a meet before where you buy a raffle ticket and guess how many minutes a old 1.8 8v can run without any oil. I think it was over 5 mins or something crazy. Bone dry!

If you really had 3 quarts in there, that would jive with a dry stick on the mkv IIRC. The filter housing is no where near the lowest point in the system and was only leaking while under pressure most likely. Lots of people here have driven on a dry stick I can guarantee it. Our cars guzzle/burn oil like a fiend and some of the people here don't watch it very close at all.

You caught it real quick and that will be your savior. I wouldn't just let it be though. Check the paperwork, talk to a lawyer if you need to, have a VW dealership verify engine health and never have someone change your oil again that doesn't LOVE VWs and knows their stuff. I think that most likely you are protected to a certain extent. Don't let them just blow you off completely if you really feel you are at risk. Cracked filter housings are a common thing on our cars and most knowledgable techs are aware of the weakness.

Good luck man. I really think it'll be okay though. I really don't think you will have a problem. Your oil pressure buzzer would have gone off if you were really low and thats a precursor to a problem. You didn't hear that so I feel like you are good to go. Replace with alloy housing and don't worry about it again.

thank you. i will re-post my results when i get an answer from them in the morning. thank you again :thumbsup:

poonpower

Ready to race!
will the ecs really solve the problem though? its a metal part that screws into a plastic part. I thought about getting it too, but I heard that it leaks and such

Car(s)
Subaru
will the ecs really solve the problem though? its a metal part that screws into a plastic part. I thought about getting it too, but I heard that it leaks and such

yeah, its fixed

they prolly cracked the oem one or something by over tightening it, maybe didnt put on a new seal when they took that one out, or left the nipple cocked when they tightened it back on. change your own oil is what you should take out of this experience

xola3que

euroturd
About a year ago I let my oil went unchecked for about three weeks and oil got seriously low. Engine started to produce that whinning noise and click clackty like you hear at the first few seconds after an oil change. I had at best a mere 2.5 quarts in there. Now I'm keep an eye on the oil level real closely but car runs no ill effects *finger crossed*

MavericDubber

Passed Driver's Ed
I wonder how valuable a compression test is, after questionably long periods allowed between oil checks/changes. I've gotten that precursor chime and low pressure oil light a few times during hard cornering.

HereticByDefault

Go Kart Champion
Yeah if you've gotten that chime a few times and ran the car til the next day, you're likely to have a hole in your cam follower, and possibly low compression.

My rings are shot cause there was a hole in my oil pan and it only leaked when I was driving so I didnt see any spots on my driveway. Checked the oil one day when the chattering started and my dipstick was bone dry. On top of past problems with oil consumption, that was the last straw.

Compression is 140, 110, 110, 130 after that fiasco.

Check your oil, yall. lol

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Red-Vader

Ready to race!
i never got an oil chime......car still had about 3 quarts of oil in it!!!..car seems to be running good, but im gonna get the compression checked just to be on the safe side and for peace of mind...... thank you for all the great advice, and only oil changes at the dealer from here out!

Mataleao9380

Ready to race!
About a year ago I let my oil went unchecked for about three weeks and oil got seriously low. Engine started to produce that whinning noise and click clackty like you hear at the first few seconds after an oil change. I had at best a mere 2.5 quarts in there. Now I'm keep an eye on the oil level real closely but car runs no ill effects *finger crossed*

I hate that "click clackty" sound. I remember the first time I changed my oil, it scared the shit out of me.

Anyways, OP, definitely change your own oil. You'll feel much better about it.