GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New Member, New Owner, New Question (Search Not Yielding Results)

ByatisNox

Hello GolfMKV world!

So, I recently purchased an '06 GTI from a lot here in town and need a little help from y'all to figure out something that's not going to show on the CarFax, namely, has the car's ECU been re-flashed?

I was only able to get seat time in three other MkV GTIs before I found this one, and while the one I purchased felt like it had more oompf, the other three might not have been in as good of shape, and the traffic really limited my test drives with them.

I'd like to take it to a shop that works with ECU flashes, but I'd like to get a shop recommendation from y'all since a shop has a $500+ reason to tell me, "No, it's not tuned."

Paranoid much? Yep.

Any way, thanks in advance!

Eric6014

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2 Door 2008 GTI DSG
There could be a lot of reasons the other cars didn't seem to have as much power, especially on an '06. Try and time your 0-60. Stock is around 6-6.5 seconds. If it's less than that it's probably tuned. You can also contact the tuning companies and see if any of them have your vin on file.

707Stang

I'm Hella From Nor*Cal
I found local tuning shops and had them check if it was tuned, namely cuz I knew it was no was stock was pushing 21psi. So in my case, a boost gauge was a good start

Tallawah

I just got my "pocket-rocket" in December 2017 and drove it from NYC to Mexico City and back and again to Mexico City, and I have been maxing at 140mph on each trip (on select stretches of course). I had heard that the American Mk5 GTI was electronically governed at 130mph...does this mean that I have a flashed ECU?

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
Any preferred VAG-COMs? I was expecting to see $300+ prices, but Amazon is crawling with sub-$100 offerings. Am I missing something here?

(Searched before asking.)
Probably. There are cables being sold that do not contain
the Ross-Tech license chip included in a real Ross-Tech VAG-COM cable.
They supply a disc or flash drive with a hacked / illegal copy
of the Ross-Tech VAG-COM software that bypasses the license check.
You will be stuck at that version of the software,
if you allow the hacked software to update,
the cable will not work with a legitimate copy of the software.

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
I just got my "pocket-rocket" in December 2017 and drove it from NYC to Mexico City and back and again to Mexico City, and I have been maxing at 140mph on each trip (on select stretches of course). I had heard that the American Mk5 GTI was electronically governed at 130mph...does this mean that I have a flashed ECU?

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

Same deal - get your VIN and call tuners and see if they'll run it against the major players software databases to see if it's tuned. They probably won't tell you what exact file it has but if you know it's tuned at least that'll be one step.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ByatisNox

Probably. There are cables being sold that do not contain
the Ross-Tech license chip included in a real Ross-Tech VAG-COM cable.
They supply a disc or flash drive with a hacked / illegal copy
of the Ross-Tech VAG-COM software that bypasses the license check.
You will be stuck at that version of the software,
if you allow the hacked software to update,
the cable will not work with a legitimate copy of the software.

Thanks for the info! I'll spring for the Ross-Tech.