GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New engine ... explain it to a moron

dvdre

Where is pancakes house?
I am seriously considering a used A3 or GTI, so maybe a new engine might actually help lower the price for used cars.

Can someone explain, in very simple terms for a journalist with a masters degree (no words over 8 letters, please) what the new engine means versus the old engine?

Wouldn't a new engine possibly bring in reliability issues? Or at least questions?

Does the new engine go into both the A3s and GTIs?

Why is a new engine even necessary?

dvdre

Where is pancakes house?
yeah, I guess I am asking for FSI or TSI?

I thought I knew a lot about GTIs and then I started seeing these terms. Cars.com even has this when you look to price a new car:

4-Door - Late Availability Styles

4-Door EOP CW 21/08 Styles

That threw me ... Late Availability? What are they talking about?

WakeHead

WakeHead
Car(s)
2008 R32 #0146
Note that the TSI has FSI technology. In the TSI, the supercharger provides power in the low rpms and the turbo in the high rpms.

FSI

As opposed to conventional petrol engines, the fuel is not injected into the intake manifold, but rather directly into the combustion chamber via electronically controlled injection valves under the inlet channels. The electromagnetic valves, which switch very quickly, are supplied with fuel via a shared storage line (Common Rail). As opposed to intake manifold injectors that work with an injection pressure of approximately four bars, this is injected at pressures between 50 and 100 bars and is thus atomised particularly finely. The injection pressure is generated by a high-pressure pump driven directly by the camshaft.

TSI

TSI technology is unique in that it features direct petrol injection (FSI) and a twincharger combining a supercharger and a turbocharger. The twincharger gives the new 1.4L 170bhp TSI engine generous torque over a wide engine speed range (1,500-4,750rpm). This innovative combination ensures power delivery throughout the speed range with no turbo lag, allowing this unique Volkswagen technology and engine to not only deliver outstanding power, but also a better fuel consumption.

The engine features a mechanically-driven supercharger and a turbocharger along with the Volkswagen FSI direct fuel injection technology provides an ideal basis for economical fuel consumption and high efficiency. The result is the world's first direct-injection petrol engine with twin charging technology: the 1.4 TSI from Volkswagen.

soze

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Something Else

WakeHead

WakeHead
Car(s)
2008 R32 #0146
In the United States, TSI is actually the PZEV CCTA motor and not the euro twin charger one. So really it's...

Non-PZEV vs. PZEV

I think there is some confusion. The VW 2.0T engine will have a timing chain, PCV upgrade, etc..

http://www.audiworld.com/news/06/paris-audi-18tfsi-engine/

These changes may be somewhat related to PZEV but don't actually make a vehicle PZEV since a large portion of it is in the fuel cell and also a 15year/150k mile warranty. These cars are generally limited to CARB states.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PZEV

For 2008 here is a list of PZEV vehicles.

http://www.driveclean.ca.gov/en/gv/vsearch/cleansearch_result.asp?vehicletypeid=16

Last edited:

Jerome81

Autocross Newbie
I'm researching as well.....

Is it true that the new engine has a chain instead of a belt? If so, this is definitely a big plus in my book. Timing belt replacements are $$$$.

How can you tell which engine? Are they sold all over the US (say....in Chicago :) )?

staulkor

V-Dubber
Car(s)
VW GTI MkV Fahrenhei
All 2.0t since March 08 has the new CCTA engine (TSI). Just pop the hood and EVERYTHING will look drastically different from the BPY motor (in looks, still throws out the same numbers for now)

Timing chain instead of belt. Better PCV. Fuel pump runs on the exhaust cam and has a roller instead of a follower, 4 lobe cam, and runs at 150bar. Airbox separate from cover. Oil filter on top and dipstick on the left. Encrypted ECU. Noise pipe is still there >.<

cmdrfire

FIA World Rally Car Champion
All of VW's forced induction engines are being rebranded TSI, regardless of it being a twincharger or just a turbocharger.