GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Need Help; Screwed the Pooch!!!

Moses

Go Kart Champion
so i took the plug out of my throttle body (noise pipe delete mod) and dropped it in a rain gutter.

my car lies stationary... i don't know what to do, i threw my old plug out.

i have the old hose, and hose clamp, and i tried putting that on (hose is plugged), but i can't get that fucking clamp over the hose.

do you think i could drive to the store for a new plug w/o popping my hose off? i haven't tried my good plyers yet, but my other ones weren't cutting it. do you think if i don't hit boost, it won't pop off though?

maybe zip ties?

Moses

Go Kart Champion
well i just ordered pizza i think it will have to wait till tomorrow.

stores in vermont usually aren't even open on sunday, much less open past 4.

but this will be like the time when i was really low on oil, and drove 18 miles keeping my car under 2000 RPM the whole time. i averaged 39 mpg :biggrin:

Moses

Go Kart Champion
my state is run by folks from the depression era. you can't even buy a new car on a sunday in vermont.

dbduke

Go Kart Champion
Just plug it up as best you can and don't get into boost. Under light driving, if you don't get into boost the charge piping is usually in very slight positive pressure, like 1 psi or less. That won't be enough to blow the plugged hose off even without a clamp.

The other option is to use a hose clamp instead of the OEM spring clamps. The OEM clamps are a huge pita if you don't have the right tool. You need one of these:

http://www.toolfetch.com/Category/Automotive/Vehicle_Specialty_Tools/Hose_Clamp_Pliers/LIS17100.htm

Or you could just lift up the storm drain cover. I had to lift one of those before to free a trapped cat. It weighed maybe 100-150 lbs, not too bad if you have a friend help you.

Moses

Go Kart Champion
Just plug it up as best you can and don't get into boost. Under light driving, if you don't get into boost the charge piping is usually in very slight positive pressure, like 1 psi or less. That won't be enough to blow the plugged hose off even without a clamp.

The other option is to use a hose clamp instead of the OEM spring clamps. The OEM clamps are a huge pita if you don't have the right tool. You need one of these:

http://www.toolfetch.com/Category/Automotive/Vehicle_Specialty_Tools/Hose_Clamp_Pliers/LIS17100.htm

Or you could just lift up the storm drain cover. I had to lift one of those before to free a trapped cat. It weighed maybe 100-150 lbs, not too bad if you have a friend help you.

it's about 5 feet down in mucky leaves and disgusting mud stuff. no way am i getting that plug.

i'm stuck in the middle of vermont man. any place to buy hose clamps is driving distance. and the only ones i have are maybe 1-2'' max.

josein06gli

GLI OWNER
Car(s)
VW Jetta GLI
home depot or something...

langer

i fix teefs

That plier would've been handy for my intake installation. I struggled with that clamp for 30 minutes.

Moses

Go Kart Champion
you know i actually got it to go over the plastic part of the TB with my hands. i just couldn't get it open wide enough to get it to fit over the rubber hose that i'd slid onto the TBP.