GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Need help after accident!

TDI_DSG

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf MK5
Try hitting your local RTA for some compo too.

that would only work in a very limited number of cases.

1st, it would only work if the damage was casued by bad road maintenence.
and or a pot hole etc.

2nd, you would have to prove that the council / rta knew about the poor road condition, and failed to repair it sufficiently.

in this case, it's clearly not an RTA / Council issue, as some drill bit has fallen off the back of some tradies ute. this is highly unlikely to be malicious. just plain old fashined bad luck.

Jason.

buckets

Ready to race!
that would only work in a very limited number of cases.

1st, it would only work if the damage was casued by bad road maintenence.
and or a pot hole etc.

2nd, you would have to prove that the council / rta knew about the poor road condition, and failed to repair it sufficiently.

in this case, it's clearly not an RTA / Council issue, as some drill bit has fallen off the back of some tradies ute. this is highly unlikely to be malicious. just plain old fashined bad luck.

Jason.

Dead right Jason. A mate of mine sustained some serious front quarter panel damage on his commodore when a part sheet of plaster was lifted off the road by a truck travelling in front of him. The story from Vicroads - "we didn't know about the debris so call your insurance company"!

TDI_DSG

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf MK5
there's even a legal term for it.

Nonfeasance, which means to ignore and take no indicated action = neglect.

but you will have a really tough time proving anything like that.
as the onus would be on YOU to prove their neglect, not the council / RTA to prove otherwise.

Jason.

Maverick

Go Kart Champion
but you will have a really tough time proving anything like that.
as the onus would be on YOU to prove their neglect, not the council / RTA to prove otherwise.

It's not that hard to prove, you can start by checking to see if they have an inspection regime in place for regular inspections of assets (footpaths, trees and so on are included) and to see if previous repairs were undertaken in the same area (ie roadworks to fix a pothole, a few months later a pothole develops on the edge of the repair - this is local or state governments incompetence so they're liable). And so on and so forth.

GP_GTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI
I don't know what's wrong with the world today.

Some shit happens and half the posters think compensation is called for. But they probably think nothing of paying $300 a month for a stupid mobile phone plan.

The OP's problem can be fixed with the application of some money. Full stop. Fixed and gone.

When on your deathbed, you can cogitate about how the whole course of your life was altered by such an event......or not, most likely.

Put it in perspective - a hailstorm cost me $1000 earlier this year, as it did for many others. Compensation - yeah, I'm still contemplating who I can sue for not warning me to move my cars under shelter - not.

Some people's houses have been drowned this week, in NZ their town has fallen over, etc, etc the world over. Hell, in South America one guy's missus has found out about his mistress......

This problem is a small one.

brad1.8T

Ready to race!
Try hitting your local RTA for some compo too.

I've heard in Vic if you sustain damage from debris on the road and the road is controlled by Vic Roads (major ones etc) they will in some circumstances pay an amount of compensation for repairs.

They've amended the law on this. The are allowed a "reasonable amount of time" to clear debris or repair the road. eg: the speed bit might have only been sitting on the road 5 minutes before the OP hit it, therefore it's unreasonable to expect the owner of the road to have cleaned it up in that time frame.

To the OP: That rim is repairable & done properly would be stronger than new, but for the price of a 2nd hand 17" rim, possibly not worth the trouble?

Good excuse to buy something else - even 2nd hand?