GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Need help after accident!

Ice Halo

Ready to race!
Driving home last night during the rain... some idiot has left a concrete drill bit (about 10cm and sharp as hell) in the middle of the road- heard a massive BANG and then a scraping noise. Stop the car and have a look:

Basically the damage done is the drill bit has punctured through the walls of the rear tyre (in the centre of the tyre), and then THROUGH the wheel rim, and as its rotated around embedded inside the wheel, has scored the surface of the rear brake caliper (about 2mm deep), as well as scored and cut through part of the rear brake dust cover (the cut itself is only 0.5cm long, but the score mark extends around its entrie circumference). The rotor looks fine (ie. not marked), and all hoses/ABS cables etc. are fine (not cut).

I therefore need a new Denver 17" wheel, new tyre, and I wondered what everyone though regarding a new brake caliper and dust cover- how much would these cost to replace from the VW dealership (the tyre will of course be bought and fitted at the tyre shop)?

Cheers!

bj240z

I have a dust cover for you if u need. It's in Gold Coast, and is yours FOC for pickup, or what ever the postage costs. I wouldn't worry about the brake caliper too much, unless it's actually bent it, or the scrape is causing leakage.

Booba

Ready to race!
Dude, that blows. Maybe insurance will payout and fix it all. You could explain your case and it might not cost you ratings etc.

Ice Halo

Ready to race!
Some pics, not sure how to resize:

Ice Halo

Ready to race!
I have a dust cover for you if u need. It's in Gold Coast, and is yours FOC for pickup, or what ever the postage costs. I wouldn't worry about the brake caliper too much, unless it's actually bent it, or the scrape is causing leakage.

Thanks for the offer mate, will call around tomorrow and see how it goes first with the stealership and others.

Cheers

TDI_DSG

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf MK5
it might sound funny, but that wheel could possibly be repaired ?
maybe it could be welded up ?

though i guess if it were me, id be forever worried about the wheel failing again in future.

how much is a wheel worth at the dealer level ?
might be able to get a single one from ebay.

Jason.

bj240z

Yeah...I reckon that could be fixed! Also, it's actually a wood drill bit, not a concrete one :p

triode12

Go Kart Champion
You have my commiserations, the bright side of it is that you weren't hurt.

I'm sure insurance will be able to fix you up and you will only be out of pocket for the excess - still not what you want to hear but I'm sure the excess is less than what the repairs will cost.

It is best to let insurance handle the repairs as they are guaranteed. If there are any problems resulting from repairs you commission yourself, you might be up for more $$.

KWICKS

Now older and wiser
Car(s)
GTI, Liberty 3.0RB
This is what insurance is for, assuming you have it. Great pics, amazing story, sh1t bad luck though. Get brand new VW parts via insurance for all marked bits, and get a set of trained eyes (smash repairer) to have a look.

Jester_Fu

My Name is Angela.
Car(s)
Daytona Grey TT RS
Also, it's actually a wood drill bit, not a concrete one :p
And it's called a "speed bore".

If you can find a decent tig welder they'll be able to fix the rim as the penetration is a fairly neat shape. I'd talk to the tyre place about how easy the wheel will be to balance after a repair, though, as any weld is going to leave you with a heavy spot and weak points in the metal around where the weld is done.

Ice Halo

Ready to race!
Thanks guys,

Not sure if I want to risk it getting it welded. Certainly wouldn't want my family in the car knowing the wheel is less strong that it should be.

Will call around tomorrow to get a quote, and see if insurance assessors will replace the wheel with a new one or not. If not, think I'll pay the extra to get it done properly. Will keep this thread updated.

funny

VCDS guru & soon Dad x2 !
Car(s)
Golf MkV GTI MY07
Now that's one hellava story, with pic too!
I'd say go insurance?

RobbyJai

Passed Driver's Ed
fark me.. i would call up the insurance company and ask what their story would be.. and it would also depend on your excess and what you have to pay.. if there is bugger all difference between your excess and you paying out of pocket... go the out of the pocket route so it doesnt stuff up your insurance claim history even tho you are not at fault.

call around the various dealers and see who will do it at a more competitive price. dealers are surprisingly negotiable! good luck!

tooraktrash

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 Golf GTI
Try hitting your local RTA for some compo too.

I've heard in Vic if you sustain damage from debris on the road and the road is controlled by Vic Roads (major ones etc) they will in some circumstances pay an amount of compensation for repairs.