GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Need advice on purchasing Mk5 or Mk7

NUTSHELL

I'm in the market for a new car and have narrowed my options to a new 2016 VW Golf or a used 2007 VW GTI. I'd greatly appreciate if you guys can give me your thoughts on the 07 VW GTI...
72k miles
DSG
4 door
bone stock
1 owner
$9,500

I looked over the Carfax and it's a bit concerning if this thing will be a money pit. It seems there is quite a bit of unscheduled dealership visits.
@6.5k miles
A/C condenser replaced
Drive belt(s) replaced
A/C system serviced
A/C refrigerant recharged
Engine/powertrain computer/module reprogrammed
A/C compressor replaced
A/C expansion/orifice valve replaced

@7.3k miles
Engine/powertrain computer/module checked
Fuel system checked
Air filter replaced

@8k miles
Body electrical wiring repaired
Seat(s) checked
Engine/powertrain computer/module checked
Battery/charging system checked

@9k miles
Headlights replaced

@40k miles
Airbag system checked

@44.7k miles
Intake air tempature sensor replaced

@47k miles
PCV valve replaced

@61k miles
Engine oil/fluid leak checked

@61.2k miles
Turbocharger blow-off valve replaced

Beyond the oil changes at 5k mile intervals, seems it requires a bit more upkeep than some Japanese brands? I see spark plugs replaced every 30k, fluids flushed and filters replaced every 15-20k.

nkresho

suck, squish, bang, blow
Car(s)
2022 Q3
I think a DSG service needs to be in there somewhere.

Check out the cam follower too, if they aren't mentioning it. You'll want to take a look at it every 10k or so, IMO. Especially if you get it tuned.

At 72k, you're going to be in the market for a timing belt in the next 10-30k. That can be expensive if you're not doing it yourself. It's a mid-level experience job.

Check out the brake rotors and pads.

The AC wouldn't worry me too much. Hopefully they put one of the newer sanden compressors in. Those seem to be the better lot. I had to replace the one on my 07 as well.

What are you driving now? If you won't miss the power, you may be better off with a new car. Also, what's your DIY experience level. Most of the maintenance stuff you're going to get into can be pretty cheap to do on your own.

That said, I love my 07. Been paid off for quite some time. I've been checking out the new GTIs, as they put down a little more power than my k04 (with a tune, but i'd need to get the IS38 turbo). That payment is keeping me from getting too serious about it. If I owed 10k on my car, as it sits, i'd be much less satisfied with it.

NUTSHELL

I appreciate your thorough feedback.
The car I'm currently driving is a 2013 Prius, my attempt to grow up and get a practical car... Wasn't so bad because I had an 08 Kawasaki ZX-10R and 04 Kawasaki Z1000 to fulfill the fun factor. Prior to the Prius, 08 Tacoma 4x4 6spd MT, 04 Tacoma S Runner, and some ricer Hondas.
Ultimately, the top of my list of requirements is reliability, followed up by efficiency and fun to drive. The fun to drive bar hasn't been set very high, given the car I'm currently driving. I just finished checking out the used GTI before you posted. It appears to be in typical for its age shape. I didn't quite know what to look for or what to ask, but I noticed it started up pretty rough. Didn't take it for a test drive. One thing that may be a deal breaker is there was dog hair everywhere... Air vents, crevices, buried in the fabric. Very surprising that the dealer didn't do a better job cleaning it because it's an AutoNation Volvo dealer.
My Prius lease is up in a month and my plan was, if I get used, it would just be a fun beater car to last ~3 years and save some money. If I get the new Golf, I'd likely keep it for 5+ years if it proves to be reliable.

nkresho

suck, squish, bang, blow
Car(s)
2022 Q3
LOL @ prius. Sorry. Had to.

I vote golf, if you consider that an even option, monthly price-wise.

the mk5 is going to be a decent amount of work, coming from a previous car with dealer support.

If you've been dealing with prius power, I assume you'll be fine with the golf.

Golf's got my vote.

Had you said hachiroku, i'd say GTI for sure. Boost would feed your thirst, and you'd surely know you're way around a garage.

NUTSHELL

LOL there's a reason I didn't specify which Toyota in my profile.
While getting my car appraised at CarMax, I checked out a 2012 GTI, but at $18k and 50k miles it's still more expensive than the new Golf and still in the same predicament that you mentioned earlier. Plus only ~$4k more would put me in a new GTI.
Surprisingly, the VW dealer offered the best deal for my Prius trade in at $13.5k. CarMax offer was $11.5k. Residual is $15.7k, additional fees associated with simply returning:
- $350 disposition
- approximately $1800 excess mileage
- needs paint repair, so $750 for insurance deductible.

I'll be returning to the VW dealer as soon as I get my tax return to get the MK7 Golf. :smile:

nkresho

suck, squish, bang, blow
Car(s)
2022 Q3
Reading reviews, I think you'll be happy. You'll still be getting a great piece of german engineering. We all appreciate that here. Fit and finish is top notch on all the human-interactive parts. If you had been thirsty to shred tires, shorten lap times, or hang with V8 street cars, I might have recommended differently.

I'm a tinkerer by nature. I overclock my PCs, I build ARs, I added a bathroom to my basement (where there was none), and I have been tweaking cars since the 90s, and I tend to DIY everything in my life that is financially feasible to do so. When I bought my GTI in 2010, I had intentions of DIYing everything on it, from the regular maintenance to the bigger stuff. I paid APR to tune it, but besides that, it's never seen a paid mechanic in 60k+. That said, I've got thousands into it, in parts, but I expected most of it (not having to replace the entire engine) by either regular maintenance intervals or in support of mods I did.

I don't want to steer you wrong, as this, in my opinion, is generally a tinkerer's car. If that's for you, we'll welcome you with open arms. But, it is disappointing sometimes, when I see posts on here where someone expected the car to be maintenance free and they get to a slipping clutch or a worn-through cam follower and are devastated financially. It's a great car, but past the manufacturer's warranty it requires some careful attention. If that's not something you're ready for, it can be a nightmare.

I wish you well on your quest for the next DD. Hopefully my responses don't sound too jaded. I was really hoping someone else would chime in by now, and maybe oppose my opinion. I have to assume they agree with me, for the most part?

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Well shit..... now you got me involved lol. I Agee with nkresho, the MKV GTI in any configuration (manual/DSG/TSI/FSI) is absolutely a tinkerers car. They are picky and finicky but so flawless almost to a fault. If you do your homework and know these cars almost inside and out they are fantastic and fun. But even then they can be expensive to maintain or repair.

My vote is for the MKV, but I don't know you and what your skills, needs, or wants from your car really are. If you plan on spending weekend nights out in the garage just working on maintenence stuff (that most consider heavy repairs) but loving every second you get to drive, then a GTI is the way to go. I'm a fan boy and will always be biased in this case, but these cars capture a certain sesame of being behind the wheel. Even stock it's such a joy to drive! But if you don't want grease on your hands and don't like tinkering or DIY'ing then get the MK7. New, warranty, when your done you trade it in for something better/newer. My $.02

NUTSHELL

I appreciate the realistic, unbiased feedback. I thought I might be wasting time asking on a forum and get nothing but die hard fan boy responses.
I am a tinkerer (sounds odd?) or I used to be. It's hard to tinker when you no longer have a garage, park on the street, and your tools are 60 miles away. Some of my old toys I used to tinker on...
To satisfy my desire to tinker, I've become a sort of tech geek. So the newer tech in the MK7 certainly appeals to me. The warranty and fairly strong resale value after 3 years helps as well, in case I decide to bail since I rarely keep my vehicles for longer than that. If I decide to keep it for longer, I wouldn't tinker too much... moderate drop, GTI wheels, stage 1, stereo upgrade, leather interior. For some reason, I wouldn't dare go back to tinkering Japanese cars, but tinkering Euro cars seems to be a perfectly reasonable and mature hobby.
For the immediate future though, reliability is a must, since I've been in between jobs for almost a year and dealing with some financial challenges.

Attachments

• Picture 005ms.JPG
    Picture 005ms.JPG
    218.9 KB · Views: 279
  • IMG_20121008_164534~01.jpg
    IMG_20121008_164534~01.jpg
    348.6 KB · Views: 370
  • DSC02112~01.jpg
    DSC02112~01.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 361

NUTSHELL

Thanks fellas. I like and miss my old toys too, particularly the black Z1000. The ZX10R looks a bit odd with the green gas tank, but I couldn't find a carbon fiber tank to match the rest of the body work.
Got my taxes done yesterday, should be seeing $3k in a couple weeks :headbang:

Last picture, Z1000 with Marchesini wheels and 10R with the track day bodywork. :biggrin: I tinkered the fitment and paint myself.

Attachments

• 0228091812~01.jpg
    0228091812~01.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 274
  • DSC01220~01.jpg
    DSC01220~01.jpg
    355.7 KB · Views: 289

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Torn myself as to which I would suggest for a wise choice. I love my MK5, but one must be really into learning about what you have and how to keep it in top notch shape. The MK7 TSI Golf is a great one too...and with just a tune it can surpass a stock MK5. I would personally go with a MK7 GTI...I mean "My God"! ...290 to 320 HP with a just a tune and DP! Much less than what I had to do to get there with my MK5. But then again, what I had to do to surpass the MK4 was next to nothing.

The warnings or notes for the MK5 are watch the cam follower in the stock HPFP as they will detonate somewhere between 80k and 120k miles and the DSG servicing should be done every 40k miles. Other than those two issues...you can or should be able to wait on error codes/CEL.

NUTSHELL

I think I've ruled out the MK5 GTI. Personal preference in the interior and exterior styling and the 80k mile examples I've found seems like they'd be immediate money pits.
I've found a few MK6 GTI around $14k, but they're sold by the time I go to check it out...!
So for now I've narrowed my choices to new MK7 Golf or MK6 GLI. To be honest, I had no clue of the GLI's existence until last week. The one I'm going to check out today is 2012 GLI Autobahn, 6 speed manual, navi, Fender, 60k miles for $14k. Decent deal?

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Yes fair deal. I would probably get a used mk7 if its in your price range.