GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My modest build

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
While I agree it's the right amount of power I don't know if I'd put a k04 on again if I could do it again. They run so hot, id put a bigger turbo on and de-,tune it to around the same power.

This is fair. The power also comes on too quickly given its smaller size. While it is very exciting it is not linear enough for track purposes

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
That’s been my only concern, especially since I could feel awful heat soak at stock power in these TX summers. I hope WM and a big IE IC can help a bit.

Completely stock, I saw my IATs hit around 187F once in stop-and-go traffic in Houston:(

One reason I went with w/m is because i lived in the high desert of SoCal for years. Saw simliar IATs (less humidity thankfully thought). The bigger IC wont help as much as it can never be lower than ambient temps. W/M on the other hand... i remember seeing IATs of 65 degrees on full throttle in 95 degree heat. Now one HUGE caveat that people forget is that this does NOT improve air density for the turbo. The turbo is still receiving hot air from outside... therefore it will spool later and run out of breath quicker because its intake air density has not been improved by either IC or WM. My youtube channel demonstrates this with 30-100 pulls in different heat under the same setup.

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion
One reason I went with w/m is because i lived in the high desert of SoCal for years. Saw simliar IATs (less humidity thankfully thought). The bigger IC wont help as much as it can never be lower than ambient temps. W/M on the other hand... i remember seeing IATs of 65 degrees on full throttle in 95 degree heat. Now one HUGE caveat that people forget is that this does NOT improve air density for the turbo. The turbo is still receiving hot air from outside... therefore it will spool later and run out of breath quicker because its intake air density has not been improved by either IC or WM. My youtube channel demonstrates this with 30-100 pulls in different heat under the same setup.
Can you run WM pre-turbo or will you affect the interior bits of the spooly-boy? I was going to direct-port the WM since I've heard that has the best results. And the rest makes sense, I've heard larger IC for consistency in high heat but WM for fuel/extreme cooling. Does E30 burn hotter or cooler? I have E85 local to me and I'm considering it whenever I custom tune. People have also suggested to me that I ceramic coat and P&P the KO4 then slap on a blanket, not sure how significantly those affect heat rejection to be honest. Then there's wrapping the intake etc. in heat shielding which I would consider as well.
This is fair. The power also comes on too quickly given its smaller size. While it is very exciting it is not linear enough for track purposes
Shoot man, don't tell me this before I install! 🤣

Do you think an LSD would help this?

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
To your first topic idk that i would run WM pre turbo. I am sure someone does it but the effects of IAD on turbo are less than that on combustion. so it is still worth it regardless. As is the larger IC. I will not comment on e85 as I have little experience with that fueling.

As for the k04 dont worry. I think myself and Jay are speaking in perfect worlds with more capital. For the money i still love my K04. I have played with the idea of going BT but jesus it is > twice the money. Tires and mounts will be your best friend for K04 peakiness. LSD will certainly help but really shows itself in the corners better. I will let Jay comment more on that since he has one installed and I am too fucking lazy. lol

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
^ For the money a k04 is outstanding and reliable. I had no idea I was going to turn my car into a track car when I put the k04 on though. I still don't regret it. At the time I didn't have $5k+ for a BT setup and k04 hit all my needs.

An LSD on these cars is amazing.... completely changes the dynamics of how they behave during cornering. I don't notice too much of a difference in a straight line with the LSD, corners though :eek:

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion
^ For the money a k04 is outstanding and reliable. I had no idea I was going to turn my car into a track car when I put the k04 on though. I still don't regret it. At the time I didn't have $5k+ for a BT setup and k04 hit all my needs.

An LSD on these cars is amazing.... completely changes the dynamics of how they behave during cornering. I don't notice too much of a difference in a straight line with the LSD, corners though :eek:
I’m going to be due for a clutch soon now that mine slips a bit during WOT peak torque. The Wavetrac seems to be a bit better than others at having one wheel unloaded, but I admittedly don’t know much about LSDs and have never run a car with one.

Do you still have XDS on/set aggressively with your LSD? Does it make much of a difference?

jay745

I’m going to be due for a clutch soon now that mine slips a bit during WOT peak torque. The Wavetrac seems to be a bit better than others at having one wheel unloaded, but I admittedly don’t know much about LSDs and have never run a car with one.

Do you still have XDS on/set aggressively with your LSD? Does it make much of a difference?
I turned xds off entirely as it fights the actual LSD.

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion

torga

Autocross Champion

I'd love to know the difference between XDS and an actual LSD. I only just recently switched on XDS and I could immediately tell the difference in turns.

jay745

Do you think the same is true for a larger RSB?
Not at all, completely different components at play
I'd love to know the difference between XDS and an actual LSD. I only just recently switched on XDS and I could immediately tell the difference in turns.
Xds uses the brakes to mimic the effects of an LSD and help the car through corners. For example of you're on a right turn the xds system will apply brakes to the right front tire to help the car turn.

torga

Autocross Champion
Xds uses the brakes to mimic the effects of an LSD and help the car through corners. For example of you're on a right turn the xds system will apply brakes to the right front tire to help the car turn.
I know the technical difference, but I'd like to feel the butt dyno difference.

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
So a couple of smaller (but still quite relevant) upgrades lately.

The first is swapping out my ratty ass floor mats. I spent years in the Army and you can see where the heal of my boot drove right through the floor mat. Alot of that dirt and grunge is just stained on there too fyi. This looks a hell of a lot better.

00000IMG_00000_BURST20200605184412904_COVER.jpg

The second is my installation of Rennline's pedals and & heal toe extension. I started noticing in the wet weather that my feet were slipping off the clutch and brake pedal with uncomfortable frequency. Well, like my floor mats, there was a layer of grunge that was pretty much fixed on the pedals causing slippage. Not to mention that the OE pedals on the GTI are alot crappier than they look at first glance. These Rennline however... gorgeous. Installation was pretty easy. I only had to drill through the plastic of the dead pedal and throttle. The medal brake and clutch pedal had applicable holes that lined up perfectly with the new pedals.

Now I have ALWAYS hated the pedal alignment for heal toe in these cars. I have found it needlessly difficult. Because of my seating arrangement as well it is hard for me to properly heal toe; I usually use the side of my foot to blip while braking. The lift brings the throttle another 5mm higher; and the pedal itself another 5mm also. Not mention the extensions make it easier (and safer) to blip while more of my foot is the brake for braking. This kit is a bit pricey but I am really loving the look and practicality of it all.

IMG_20200605_185402.jpg

usefulidiot

Go Kart Champion
So a couple of smaller (but still quite relevant) upgrades lately.

The first is swapping out my ratty ass floor mats. I spent years in the Army and you can see where the heal of my boot drove right through the floor mat. Alot of that dirt and grunge is just stained on there too fyi. This looks a hell of a lot better.

View attachment 175910

The second is my installation of Rennline's pedals and & heal toe extension. I started noticing in the wet weather that my feet were slipping off the clutch and brake pedal with uncomfortable frequency. Well, like my floor mats, there was a layer of grunge that was pretty much fixed on the pedals causing slippage. Not to mention that the OE pedals on the GTI are alot crappier than they look at first glance. These Rennline however... gorgeous. Installation was pretty easy. I only had to drill through the plastic of the dead pedal and throttle. The medal brake and clutch pedal had applicable holes that lined up perfectly with the new pedals.

Now I have ALWAYS hated the pedal alignment for heal toe in these cars. I have found it needlessly difficult. Because of my seating arrangement as well it is hard for me to properly heal toe; I usually use the side of my foot to blip while braking. The lift brings the throttle another 5mm higher; and the pedal itself another 5mm also. Not mention the extensions make it easier (and safer) to blip while more of my foot is the brake for braking. This kit is a bit pricey but I am really loving the look and practicality of it all.

View attachment 175913
That's a very sexy pedal box:love::love:

torga

Autocross Champion

View attachment 175913
Good to know there's another happy Rennline pedal customer on this forum. I'm really considering them as well, at the very least the throttle pedal and extensions. I'm only able to keep 40-50% of my foot on the brake if I actually wanna cleanly heel-toe, and that's too little. I always feel like I'm struggling to actually brake at the expense of a clean downshift. The extension would likely let me keep 75-80% of my foot on the brake.