GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My modest build

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
Manual or not it is tough to get a FWD turbo car into the low 13's, high 12's.

Used to have a cobalt - ~200 factory horsepower managed a 14.1
When it had 380 whp and drag slicks, i think my best was a 13.1. lol. I'm not the best driver but still

Im on Federal 595RSRR tires dropped to 20psi... i still feather the throttle in first and still have issues hooking. Its definitely tough.

Suspension, braces, mounts all help

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
So I have been making some upgrades to my shifter to tighten everything up even more.

I bought some 42DD shifter bracket bushings (pictured all the way in the back). They went in with zero difficulty so long as you have a swivel to get to one of the 13mm bolts. Just from that I noticed enough of an improvement to go ahead and get the shifter linkage bushings.
For those I went with 034 motorsports. I have always been a big supporter of that business and typically their products are extremely well designed.

However, for these bushings I was extremely disappointed for a few reasons:

#1: The Fore/Aft (rectangle) shifter bushings were too large to fit within the recess on the OEM linkage. Maybe by .5 mm or so. I filed down all the edges and got it to sneak in pretty snug.
#2: The Left/Right shifter bushing insert (bronze piece) was too long to allow for the OEM clip spring to catch on the metal linkage. Now 034 motorsports provides 4 versions of this kit. I quadruple checked and indeed I do have the right version for my car. So when i had to file down almost 2mm off the surface of a bronze sleeve I was pretty pissed.

The bushings sit in there nicely (now) but it was far too much work considering the ease of this job typically. Rowing through the gears feels fantastic now. I can tell there is still some play in the linkages so I might look into finding a solution for that as well.
Sorry for being a bit long winded. Just wanted to put out a little buyer beware.

0502191611.jpg

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
Sucks when parts don't fit like they should. 034 is on the down swing unfortunately, they just aren't producing the quality they once did. As an installer for a lot of people in chicago I see issues with various 034 parts all the time. They are the new cts.

Can confirm. All MK6 related FB groups I see posts everyday about warranting their shit products that are failing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
To be honest, I wouldn't even bother replacing the bushing in the factory cable ends. The DG spherical bushing cable ends are miles above anything that can be installed in the OEM cable ends.

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Can confirm. All MK6 related FB groups I see posts everyday about warranting their shit products that are failing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm still upset with 034 for stringing along mk6 owners promising development and release of their dynamic+ camber mounts, only to come back later and claim that it can't be done. :rolleyes:

Camber plates fit yet dynamic camber mounts don't, got it. I've moved on to other companies.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
To be honest, I wouldn't even bother replacing the bushing in the factory cable ends. The DG spherical bushing cable ends are miles above anything that can be installed in the OEM cable ends.

Yeah but who wants to spend almost $200 for them? woof. They don't sell just the linkages on their own. I personally hate the feeling of the DG shifter, it's just way too short. For a track car I'd be significantly worried about missing and going to 3rd instead of 5th.

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
Lots of good thoughts here.

Sucks when parts don't fit like they should. 034 is on the down swing unfortunately, they just aren't producing the quality they once did. As an installer for a lot of people in chicago I see issues with various 034 parts all the time. They are the new cts.

Ive noticed this too. I hope they turn it around because I do appreciate how they are a more track focused company. But that is all the more reason to avoid issues like this.

Have you thought about upgrading to DieselGeek short shifter?

I went with verdict bushings, fitted perfectly while at a lower price
http://verdictmotorsports.com/VW_Audi_Shift_Bracket_Bushings_p/0100.htm

Definitely not because I do not see it as an upgrade. The VWR shifter is a really underrated piece (largely because its not sold in many places). the DG shifter is tight but it is too notchy for my feel. I know a lot of folks go with it but I have never really liked the feel.

Yeah but who wants to spend almost $200 for them? woof. They don't sell just the linkages on their own. I personally hate the feeling of the DG shifter, it's just way too short. For a track car I'd be significantly worried about missing and going to 3rd instead of 5th.

So with the bushings in the bracket (25 bucks) and the bushings in the linkages (45 bucks) This shifter feels awesome. And has the predictability of the VWR shifter that I love. While I do think a spherical linkage makes more sense from an engineering perspective Jay is right. I more interested in hitting the right gear at the right time than grenading my tranny with a money shift. And again i think the DG feel is wildly overrated

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion

I've had my DG installed for nearly 5 years, 4 of those tracking the car, and I can't say that I've ever had an issue. With that said, hand placement on the shifter is critical. I forced myself several years ago to change how I position my hand on the shifter depending on the type of shift. Once I began doing this every day, it became muscle memory and now I don't even know I'm doing it.

Here's how it works:

1st-2nd: Hand cupped on the right side of the shift knob, pull towards you (against the left lateral stop) and back to disengage 1st and engage 2nd in one motion.
2nd-3rd: Hand cupped on the left side shift knob, take out of 2nd and allow the knob to center itself before pushing up going to 3rd.
3rd-4th: Hand placed on top front of the shift knob, use two-three fingers on the front of the shifter to disengage 3rd and engage 4th in one single downward motion. Do not allow your hand to inadvertently pull towards you in this shift (ie down to 2nd). The goal here is to use the natural centering function of the return springs to prevent missing the shift.
4th to 5th: Hand cupped on the left side of the shift knob, take out of 4th and push away from you until you hit the right lateral stop, then push up into 5th. Hitting the right lateral stop will prevent going into 3rd.
5th to 6th: Hand cupped on the left side of the shift knob, push away from you(against the right lateral stop) and downward to disengage 5th and engage 6th in one single motion.

Again, I broke down the steps but in reality they flow into a single motion and become second nature. Doing this not only prevents money-shifting, it's also much smoother on the syncros. :thumbup:

Last edited:

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
I've had my DG installed for nearly 5 years, 4 of those tracking the car, and I can't say that I've ever had an issue. With that said, hand placement on the shifter is critical. I forced myself several years ago to change how I position my hand on the shifter depending on the type of shift. Once I began doing this every day, it became muscle memory and now I don't even know I'm doing it.

Here's how it works:

1st-2nd: Hand cupped on the right side of the shift knob, pull towards you (against the left lateral stop) and back to disengage 1st and engage 2nd in one motion.
2nd-3rd: Hand cupped on the left side shift knob, take out of 2nd and allow the knob to center itself before pushing up going to 3rd.
3rd-4th: Hand placed on top front of the shift knob, use two-three fingers on the front of the shifter to disengage 3rd and engage 4th in one single downward motion. Do not allow your hand to inadvertently pull towards you in this shift (ie down to 2nd). The goal here is to use the natural centering function of the return springs to prevent missing the shift.
4th to 5th: Hand cupped on the left side of the shift knob, take out of 4th and push away from you until you hit the right lateral stop, then push up into 5th. Hitting the right lateral stop will prevent going into 3rd.
5th to 6th: Hand cupped on the left side of the shift knob, push away from you(against the right lateral stop) and downward to disengage 5th and engage 6th in one single motion.

Again, I broke down the steps but in reality they flow into a single motion and become second nature. Doing this not only prevents money-shifting, it's also much smoother on the syncros. :thumbup:

To each their own really. I just love the throw of the S3 shifter I have combined with the other shift upgrades.
S3 Shifter
42DD linkage bushings
42DD bracket bushings
Dieselgeek super slider
Dieselgeek shaft bushings

And finally a TWM weighted knob. It's perfect and I wouldn't change it for anything. Sorry to clog the thread

APRMK6GTi

Go Kart Champion
Yea, it really is personal preference thing, whatever feels best is best for the driver. I initially had S3 shifter with all the bushings done. It felt good, like a good OEM shifter. But tried DG on a friend's car. I didn't initially like the feel because of the notchiness, but the more I drove it, it just felt more solid and precise over my S3 setup that convinced me to change. I've had my DG shifter for 4 years now and tracking here and there, never mis-shifted. A heavier shift knob will probably get rid of the notchiness of the DG shifter, I'm still on OEM knob.

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
Yea, it really is personal preference thing, whatever feels best is best for the driver. I initially had S3 shifter with all the bushings done. It felt good, like a good OEM shifter. But tried DG on a friend's car. I didn't initially like the feel because of the notchiness, but the more I drove it, it just felt more solid and precise over my S3 setup that convinced me to change. I've had my DG shifter for 4 years now and tracking here and there, never mis-shifted. A heavier shift knob will probably get rid of the notchiness of the DG shifter, I'm still on OEM knob.

Personal preference is right. I honestly dont know many people rocking the VWR shifter but I really prefer the feel. With the solid bushings all around the shifter has become notchy, but in a predictable sense. I still feel like I have the same pattern I am use to but with a noticeable "thunk" into each gear

deep.mit

Go Kart Champion
Shifter feel is very personal and I totally understand why each is preferred. Also, the stock shifter leaves a lot to be desired. I didn't care about the length of the shifts, but I couldn't handle the inherent sponginess/sloppiness.

I personally went through two setups:
1. Neuspeed short-shifter (v similar to S3) + 42DD shifter-bushings + Verdict Sport bracket bushings:
This setup definitely provided a more solid and confident shifter feel, but it was still missing a clear definition of gates. On the upside, this setup feels very OEMplus. You can "glide" into each gear with minimal effort.

2. DieselGeek sigma short-shifter+Verdict-sport bracket bushings:
As others have said, this takes some time getting used to. But once you do, you will love it! I never thought I would love such a notchy shift-feel. You can literally feel every gate as you slot into them with authority. I have absolutely no regrets switching to this setup. Even after the car gets warm, there is no slop in the shift action. Shifts are short, crisp and confident.

Later in my build, I added two more things:
- Raceseng shift-knob: This adds some heft to the top and really helps bring back some of the "glide" action into the shifts. Pairs very well with a notchy shifter like the DG.
- 034 dogbone Billet-insert: This has more to do with the transmission movement/slop than the shift action itself. But, you feel more connected to the chassis on each shift. Love the way it feels. Zero vibrations.

There is no right or wrong setup. And it's actually fun to be able to eventually find that balance through your build :)

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
Good convo on shifter setups, too bad it's happening in poor Injen's build thread! I'll throw my setup and opinion in as a data point.

-Dieselgeek Sigma 6 Short Shifter w/new, black delrin slider
-Dieselgeek Upgraded Shifter Shaft Bushing Kit
-CTS Billet Shifter Bracket Bushings
-Shimmed shifter ball per Dieselgeek
-ECS Billet/Leather Shift Knob (265g)

I should note that installing my VWR Racingline Subframe Mount made a HUGE improvement to shift precision. I haven't tracked the car yet but I do very much like my setup although (as mentioned by everyone with a DGSS) it takes some getting used to. It's not for everyone but the notchy action really grew on me after disliking it for a few weeks.