GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 GTI SE MT6 DIY CLUTCH REBUILD GUIDE HS TUNING RSR CLUTCH

SHCKR

Ready to race!
This is a rebuild guide for a 2015 VW GTI SE with a six speed manual transmission. Going from a factory clutch which started to fail at about 20,000 miles (story behind the fail here http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16995).

I used the video guide from YouTube (https://youtu.be/HQJYDvpLgno) so just making sure he gets the deserved credit.

Going from factory clutch to HS Tuning RSR clutch kit (http://www.hstuning.com/product_info.php?products_id=3888).

It's important to note mine DOES NOT HAVE the performance package, so I didn't have to deal with the LSD. If yours has it, refer to the video above, he has it on his. Mine is completely STOCK except for a K&N.

Note: good practice is to always put all the clips, nuts, and bolts back where they belong so you don't end up with a pile of stuff that you don't know where it goes to.
Total cost of the replacement: Clutch $1000 (including a line up tool and the hardware kit, but I got a $75 military discount, no tax, free UPS shipping) and about $300 in tools, however those I get to keep, so I can't really count those against the fix. Beats the $3000 that the stealership quoted me. (for a factory clutch)

Let's begin.

First, things needed:
A vehicle

A video guide that I used:

A good cigar:

A toolbox with general assortment of tools, however as you'll see later in the guide, I mostly only used 3/8 drive with some exceptions, no air tools. Total sockets used are less than 15, so if you have to go out and buy stuff, don't sweat it.

A floor jack, jack stands, transmission jack (really is optional, but helpful), and an engine support bar.

I started by jacking up one side half way

then the other side all the way

then the first side all the way

This brought me about 16" off the ground. If you use bigger jack stands, you may be able to go higher, but this was enough for me.

Remove the intake clamps

I had to use a swivel to get to the back. 7 mm.

Highly recommend you "plug" the inlet, you don't want anything to fall in there by accident.

Remove engine cover

Remove hoses from the air box

Use small screwdriver to assist with small hose removal.

Remove the air dam or whatever it's called.

It's T25 Torx screws

Pull up on the hose going over it, those clips were actually kinda stiff, so be gentle not to break them, pry apart with both hands while pulling up on the hose.

Remove the air dam (or whatever)

Lift up the air box, It sits on rubber grommets and pulls straight up, takes a bit of force

Remove the battery cables (both the one I'm pointing to and the negative). It's 10mm

Remove the battery clamp, it's 13mm

Lift the battery wrap cover, and then the battery itself. Make sure and don't place the battery on concrete floor, place a piece of cardboard under it or something.

Remove the battery tray, there are several bolts, nuts, and wire retainer clips. Nuts are 10mm

Because I have regular headlights, it was partially in the way, I had to use a 1/4" drive with a swivel to get to the front right bolt.

For all the electrical retainer clips, get one of these if you don't want to be replacing all the clips

Un-clip wires

Sorry for the blurry image, but that's the nut on the back right wall

There's another slide-off wire clip there

Lift out the battery tray

Remove the shift linkages. One on the left can be removed by removing the clip on top and pulling up, the one on the right, use a screwdriver to separate the linkage from bracket and it will slide off with some resistance.

Remove the nut from the linkage itself, 13mm.

Mark the linkage alignment so you know how to put it back on later. It's keyed, but better safe than sorry.

Remove the small white plastic clip from the other linkage, push up on the bottom, and it will pop off. Be careful, it may go flying on you.

This is what that clip looks like so you know what to push on before you begin messing with it.

Slide the black plastic linkage out a bit after removing the clip, that will allow for the metal linkage to be pulled straight up. Linkage is spring loaded underneath.

Remove the bracket that holds the cables. It's 13mm. To be honest, for everything that I use 13mm for you could probably use 1/2" standard socket, but my socket was messed up, so I used the 13.

The third mounting point is a nut that shares the transmission bolt

Zip tie the bracket with the cables somewhere around the brake booster, out of the way.

Un-clip the electrical cable from the transmission. It presses in from underneath.

Pull out the lug bolt covers

Remove driver's side wheel

Remove ground cable near the starter, 13mm.

Remove electrical plug from starter by pulling out the red piece away from the starter, then squeezing

Remove the starter mounting bolt. 18mm

Remove the black bleeder valve that's right next to that bolt in the previous picture. Do it by pulling up on the silver metal clip that's closer to the tranny, then pull the valve straight off, remember to place the clip back on after you're done.

The guy in the video says there is such thing as a hose clamp thing that will stop that hose from leaking, I simply zip-tied it up on the right side, make sure it's higher than the brake reservoir, so it doesn't continuously leak. In this picture it's actually lower, I had to go back and move it higher cause it was still leaking.

Remove the plastic covers from the engine hooks. This one you have to pry on the inside tab away from yourself while prying up with a screwdriver, the guy in the video broke his tab, I managed to take mine off in one piece, if you break the tab, then every time you pull of your engine cover, this piece will simply come off with it.

This is the left side, you have to squeeze underneath, on both sides, while prying up from the top with a screwdriver, it's a pain in the ass but possible.

Install the engine support bar. I got mine at harbor freight for $80. They have 20% off coupon on their website that you can use as well to make it even cheaper. If you look closely, I used heavy duty padlocks as shackles through the engine hooks, because I didn't have right size bolts to go through the chain, refer to the video to see what I'm talking about. (and the front license plate is a whole another story on it's own...)

Remove the top two transmission mounting bolts, it's 18mm deep well.

Remove the lower engine cover, it's T25 Torx, and I used a driver for removal, which I'm not going to use for installation to avoid stripping them.

There are 11 screws holding it up

Remove passenger side wheel well shield, 6 screws

Remove the lower starter bracket and bolt. 13mm and 18mm

Remove the cooler hose. 7mm socket.

Pull out the starter, route through the top, and hang over the front, unless you just want to unbolt the rest of the cables, feel free, this worked for me.

Remove sway bar nut on the drivers side. 18mm

Remove dog bone (underneath) 21mm and 16mm. Those bolts are supposedly not re-usable.

Remove half-shaft/cv-axle, whatever you want to call it, bolts. T50 Torx. The guy in the video said to mark them, so I did, he said the way the half-moon clips are on there, they may be balanced from the factory, once again, better safe than sorry. Have someone sit inside and hold the brakes while you break the bolts loose. Make sure they DON'T STEP ON THE CLUTCH PEDAL.

At this point it's time for a cigar number 2 and beer number.....

Remove the nut off the steering arm, then smack it up with a hammer, while the nut is somewhat screwed on there to protect the threads. 21mm

Remove lower A arm nuts (3) 5/8"

Pop the whole hub assembly up, then pull to the right, and bungee it out of the way.

Which makes plenty of room for the transmission

Remove drivers side axle flange, there's an allen bolt in there, 6mm, and use a screwdriver to keep it from spinning, if yours is hard to remove, then avoid using the screwdriver so you don't damage the threads.

Do the same thing on the passenger side. I had to use a bunch of extensions so I can do it from the wheel well. Don't forget to mark them.

You may need to remove the heat shield out of the way. It's 5/8"

Remove the passenger side flange

I lost about 1/2 ounce of fluid when I pulled it out

Therefore plug the opening so you don't lose anymore, unless you plan on flushing it ($40/liter)

Remove driver's side engine mount, 18mm, bolts are also supposed to be non-reusable.

Pull out the plastic bracket

And the engine mount bracket

Remove the two bottom transmission bolts, 16mm (as you can see I got the transmission jack ready)

Secure the transmission to the jack (don't do it too tight, because there's not enough room, at least with my jack, to release the clamp if needed, like in my case, I ended up lowering the transmission with the jack a little bit, but then yanking it out by bench pressing it, that's why I said jack is optional. Might aid with install.
Remove the last bolt on the passenger side of transmission

After that remove the final transmission bolt on the front

Yank out the tranny, then infamously flip it off. Mine had to be slightly pried away, then it cam off relatively easy.

Remove the pressure plate bolts, they're 9mm. The guy in the video says it may spring off, so be careful.

There's the disk

Pressure plate

And the flywheel

Remove the throw out bearing bolts (3) They're 9mm 1/4" drive. They have loctite on them, so make sure you put some on for the new one.

Last edited:

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
This is awesome, thanks for taking the time out to document this!

SHCKR

Ready to race!
This is awesome, thanks for taking the time out to document this!

Yeah, to be honest, pictures made it a lot slower process, plus I had to obviously continue going back to the video I was referencing. With doing all that, it took about eight hours, minus time for food, and being extra careful not to break anything, which surprisingly nothing got broken. If I had to do it again now, just like the guy in the MK6 forum said, about 4 hrs to rip it out, not sure about the reassembly yet.
Perhaps if you guys like it, this can get a sticky so someone else can use it. If not, oh well, I tried :)

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Phenomenal write-up.

Off-topic question.... I also have stupid holes in my bumper. What plate mount do you have there and do you like it? I know ECS has the Euro mount but it is stupid expensive shipped and then on top of that I'd have to buy a custom plate to put there. Stupid holes.....

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie
One of the best threads on golfmk7. Props dude for taking all the pictures, people like you make this a community! (even though I will never use this one probably, hahahaha)

SHCKR

Ready to race!
Phenomenal write-up.

Off-topic question.... I also have stupid holes in my bumper. What plate mount do you have there and do you like it? I know ECS has the Euro mount but it is stupid expensive shipped and then on top of that I'd have to buy a custom plate to put there. Stupid holes.....

The mount is whatever the dealer put on there, it clips on the bottom, but screws on the top, and obviously the plate is custom

LeGti

Ready to race!
SHCKR: thank you very, very much for the awesome effort!! Very helpful, thanks again!!

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
Someone please sticky this amazing post! Thanks so much for taking such great photos and for the write up!

LeGti

Ready to race!
Someone please sticky this amazing post! Thanks so much for taking such great photos and for the write up!

Absolutely!! Sticky please!

napadirt

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 2DR PP MT, Macan
Impressive guide! Tremendous work. Well done. Thanks.

Having said that I hope I never need to do this.

SHCKR

Ready to race!
Clutch came in at about 6 p.m. yesterday, so here's what came in:

Old on the bottom, new on top, you can clearly see that the pressure plate is different, and has an extra piece of metal in the middle, it also has springs around the inner perimeter. The actual width of the contact surface is less on the new one.

New disk, this way you guys can look at the numbers, it looks same as the original, however the numbers don't match. As far as thickness, construction, etc, looks exactly the same.

Pressure plate again

Looks like all the numbers except for one have been ground off on the outside. I suspect that this is a generic RS/TT pressure plate, and if i'm not mistaken, i've seen a post somewhere on here where someone has personally assembled a RSR clutch "kit" by buying parts separately, and it came out to about $600, my guess is that's why the numbers are gone...

Other side of disk

Hardware kit

I didn't end up using the axle bolts since I never removed the axle, and the "Bracket to Trans" bolts, one of them that came from HS is different than stock, it has a smaller size bolt coming out the top, like to put a nut onto and ground something to it. I ended up using it anyway, just didn't put anything on top.

I only used 3 of the ball joint nuts, since I only took off one side, and let me tell you about the torque arm bolts. If you look in the picture, the big one (100 Nm) is about 1/3 longer than the original, so when installed, it almost touches the sway bar underneath, there is maybe an 1/8 of an inch separation, so I'm gonna monitor it, and if it ever makes contact, i'm gonna put the original one back in, even though they're not supposed to be reused.
The tiny short one in the higher baggie is about 1/2 the length of the original, and that screws into the tranny, I don't think the shorter length is going to hurt anything though. And the last (longer small) bolt, is about 1/3 longer than the original as well. IDK if HS did it on purpose, or they just don't know what's in the cars.

The throw-out bearing and the cylinder, came capped, with fluid in it. And it came with new bolts, as well as pressure plate bolts.

EVERYTHING THAT I DISASSEMBLED ON THIS CAR I REASSEMBLED WITH BLUE LOCTITE. Everything. Any bolt that I touched. Even if it already had loctite on it like in this pic. Last thing I want is anything coming loose from the vibration.

Alignment tool. It was a perfect fit. The guy in the video uses one that allowed the disk to move around, this one held everything extremely well.

More part numbers

Thickness comparison (new on top) Also, i used gloves to keep the fat finger grease off the disk. Plus my mechanics gloves were freaking filthy.

Here it is installed, the bolts actually weren't too easy to put in. I used 1/4" drive ratchet and I had to force it to the point that I thought I was stripping them, so I backed them out several times just to check, and no, they're just a tight fit, probably because of loctite.

Alignment tool

Here's something interesting. On the new bearing, the outer surface is smooth and metal, on the old one, it's textured and has ridges, and it's rubber/plastic coated. Weird.

Disk installed, I could rotate it freely, but there was zero play/wobbling. Fantastic fit. Make sure you put the correct side facing out.

Pressure plate bolts torqued to 177 in lbs, i read some places that the rating is 20Nm, so that's the conversion to my 3/8" drive torque wrench. Add another half turn after you're done. Mine felt very snug, plus they had loctite on them so I'm not worried.

Originally tried putting back in with the transmission jack, which wouldn't really work, because it didn't tilt properly, so I climbed under there on a creeper, and manhandled the transmission up where it was almost on and then...

I took off the left engine support from the bar, since it really wasn't doing shit, and I stuck a hook (you can use a bolt, just don't use a screwdriver because once the transmission is up, you won't have enough clearance between it and the fender to get it out) through the shifter lever hole thingie and used the engine support bar to raise the tranny up to where it lined up and was level.

Then I rotated it around a bit, and it just slid in like butter, no force whatsoever, it actually squeezed the throw-out bearing and shot the plastic cap off of it and sprayed fluid out of it. There it is, flush as it can be.

After that I did the restrictor removal trick for the bleed valve, bled the system using a vacuum pump (only went through about half a bottle of brake fluid) pressed the clutch in a few times, it went all the way down, came up only half way, I had to manually pull it up once or twice, then bled it some more. Reassembled the car, started it on jackstands, got ESC System fault, TPMS fault, and my parking sensor button was blinking like crazy. Regardless, I worked the clutch a few times in first gear with the wheels off the ground, seemed fine, engagement point was exactly where it used to be. Took the car off the jacks, drove around the neighborhood, all the faults went away after about 20 ft lol. Clutch engaged fine, but I didn't get a chance to get above 2'nd gear or about 30mph.
The whole process took about 4 hrs or so. Not too bad at all.
This morning, I took it out for about a 10 mile drive, this way the loctite had a chance to settle. The slippage is no more, 5/th 6/th gear hard accelleration, perfect engagement. However, from stop, and when initially starting the ignition (cranking up the car), there is a slight rattling sound. Not much, and only for a split second, and only while I'm not giving it gas transitioning from stop to first gear accelleration. Idk if it's the different pressure plate, since it has springs in it, or whether it's always been there but I've never actually paid attention to it, or it's because I removed the restrictor valve. Remember, I did not replace the flywheel, however there is no rattle at idle, everything is smooth and etc. Other than that, seems to function great, all the shifts are fine and solid. About to go for a drive in the country where I can really test the accelleration in 6'th gear.
And I returned the transmission jack to the store, since it didn't really work for me.

From now on I'll be the guinea pig on whether the factory flywheel can be reused and for how long.
If anyone is reading and doing this, and has any questions, feel free to send me a message, hopefully this website will notify me.

Also, I haven't refilled the little fluid that I lost out of the tranny yet, picking it up today, however with me losing an ounce (and having to purchase a $42 bottle of it...) I don't see it being an issue for a few hours of driving.

Last edited:

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
Finally getting to see your write-up! Nice job with great pics. Having watched the video before your tutorial, I think you did a great job at highlighting everything.

Question, did you even need to remove the axle flanges? Seems like this would seal the fluid from being lost and with the axles off, I don't see a reason they need to be removed. Just preparing myself for my clutch job :)

SHCKR

Ready to race!
Finally getting to see your write-up! Nice job with great pics. Having watched the video before your tutorial, I think you did a great job at highlighting everything.

Question, did you even need to remove the axle flanges? Seems like this would seal the fluid from being lost and with the axles off, I don't see a reason they need to be removed. Just preparing myself for my clutch job :)

The transmission won't clear the frame with the flanges in it, or at the very least it'll make it a lot more difficult.