GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk5 GLI @ Pikes Peak Hillclimb 2017

VWR79

Pikes Peak Racer
Hi Folks!

Back in March we were officially been accepted & invited to compete in the 2017 Pikes Peak International Hillclimb. Super excited to be back in the GLI continuing on our efforts from 2014 and 2015 (Click year for previous threads)

We're doing some major updates to the car that should be challenging and interesting. The timeline is gonna be tight but fingers crossed everything goes to plan. There are some major hardware updates to the car and some new sponsors on board which we'll reveal soon :headbang:

Last edited:

bon qui qui

Go Kart Champion
Nice, definitely subscribing to this one.

VWR79

Pikes Peak Racer
So to rewind a few years for this car...
We're all a bunch of racer guys and mk1/2 vws were in our hearts. Pikes Peak said no to my old VW Scirocco hillclimb car so we looked for something else.

Mk5/6 chasis seemed so under rated for it's potential...it could be one of the more under rated enthusiast cars around. Well, they are terrible stock, but with a few bolt ons, this platform comes alive. Whether it is a 2.0 or you turbo the 2.5, the chasis responds well to modifying and the GLI would be fairly straight forward car to go fast.
Shift Autosport built a cage, slapped some off the shelf parts from high quality suppliers and we went racing in 2014 and 2015. Then you see the real potential is still untapped, the chasis behaves so well and doesn't do anything funny. Heck, it was putting down 425whp fwd without wheelspin or understeer issues.

The GLI took a break in 2016 to take more time to build a new tranny, motor, install the drivetrain and build some aero. Except (of course), no matter how much time you give, 90% still happens last minute so here we are trying to do it all a couple weeks out!

VWR79

Pikes Peak Racer
The first on the list was to build an upgraded DSG transmission. I feel like it has the potential to be the poor man's sequential race tranny, but it has to be set up and programmed right. It may not be as exciting as banging gears with a manual, but when a DSG is set up well, the shifts are lightning fast and the times on the track drop.

Jon @ Shift rebuilt this unit with a Wavetrac LSD and SSP Clutches. They say not many people out there rebuild DSGs if a bearing fails. And for sure nobody sells bearings but I was able to find a couple suppliers in a dark corner of the internet.

An SSP cooler is already on the car keeping the transmission oil cool. SSP has been a huge supporter and their products are awesome!

Lastly on the transmission upgrade list is a 4kg TTV Lightened flywheel. This should let the engine rev more freely.

The only other thing I wished we could do is to find shorter final drives but nobody makes them. :(

VWR79

Pikes Peak Racer
Even though the stock motor performed exceptionally well @425whp in 2015, I really wanted to build a race motor and turn up the boost and revs.
I bought some IE rods, pistons and other hardware from Bluewater and Ferrea supplied the necessary valvetrain.

The motor was put together from an old core. I couldn't find a proper baffled oil pan so we put together a hand made unit inside the oil pan...fingers crossed it works well :)

Borg Warner Turbos used to rule Pikes Peak back in the day but in the last decade or so have lost some Pikes market share. For us, BorgWarner has been a great sponsor and offer really good service. Their Turbo Matchbot online tool is really cool and that helped us select a unit from their AirWerks line.
One day we'll get their amazing new EFR 7163 for sea level, but the SX256 is the right tool for high altitude.

So a couple questions for you guys:
Who makes V-Band exhaust manifolds for the FSI?
Who may makes baffled oil pans for the FSI?

bon qui qui

Go Kart Champion
So a couple questions for you guys:
Who makes V-Band exhaust manifolds for the FSI?
Who may makes baffled oil pans for the FSI?

I got my manifold from these guys
http://store.forcefedengineering.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=FFE_Street_Bottommount_2.0T

As for the oil pan, are you guys still planing on running the stock FSI oil pump with the balance shafts? If you get rid of that and switch over to the 1.8T stuff you should be able to run a baffled pan from a 1.8T. The stock balance shafts take up a TON of space in the oil pain anyway.

VWR79

Pikes Peak Racer
A quick little revision of the suspension...currently working on fitting the TT front spindles for an improved roll center and added front camber.

The car is gonna wear the shortened Bilstein inserts and H&R RSS housings. I may have overdone it on the shortening (2inches) so I hope we don't run into any issues.

I've also opted to add an adjustable front swaybar in addition to the existing rear Whiteline unit. I just love the feeling of a planted front end and prefer a set up with a bit of mid-corner understeer...I am typically faster that way.

Vorshlag kindly supplied a new set of Mk6 camber/caster plates. I'm a huge fan of adding caster and these plates allow about 10 deg plus much improved camber settings.

Interestingly, the way the mk6 strut tops bolt into the chasis is turned 90 deg compared to the mk5. This should allow the camber plates to be reoriented for more favorable adjustment. This is by far the best Mk5/6 camber plate on the market!

Vorshlag does some amazing fabrication work, check out their impressive builds: http://www.vorshlag.com/blog/

VWR79

Pikes Peak Racer
A bit hard to see, but here is the TT spindle and balljoint with a regular alu control arm. There is a Whiteline bumpsteer correction tie rod end back there too. Not so much for bumpsteer correction, but to make up for the longer tie rod needed with the TT spindles. In the end it was still a bit short so Josh cut and sleeved it to extend it.
I'd love to find out what the "secret" correct length tie rod that people are using to make the TT spindle swap work well...