GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Misfires

R-Bisch

L-VILE
Car(s)
2006 GTI MKV
So I'm writing here because I just got done reading a tread about Cylinder Misfires the other day and what do you know, my car is misfiring too. Funny thing because as I read the thread I thought that would never happen to me. UGH. lol,

It started when my mom started my car this morning (only 17, live at home). It was really cold out so I don't know if that has anything to do with it. It was idling weird but thought it was just the cold so I drove it to school and sat in the parking lot for a little bit when I noticed it was just revving for no reason and not getting to its normal idle speed. Luckily I am in an auto tech class and we scanned it for fault codes. Only after 10 mins of sitting there with the scanner plugged in did my check engine light come on. Weird, but thats when we found the fault code for RANDOM/ALL CYLINDER MISFIRE. Plus my oil was ridiculous low (my VW dealer told me to wait till 20,000 miles instead of coming in at my 17,500 miles apt; I made an apt at 18,200 miles because I thought that was really weird they would have me wait but missed it because something came up).

well its off to the dealer tonight but they would be able to work on it till Monday:frown:

Phil@BSH

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTi FSi
Id start by checking the PCV front section and all four plugs. The lack of oil is indicative of a bad pcv and the rough idle would appear to be fouled plugs caused by oil in the cylinder or a massive air leak both of which are symptoms of a bad pcv.

So I'm writing here because I just got done reading a tread about Cylinder Misfires the other day and what do you know, my car is misfiring too. Funny thing because as I read the thread I thought that would never happen to me. UGH. lol,

It started when my mom started my car this morning (only 17, live at home). It was really cold out so I don't know if that has anything to do with it. It was idling weird but thought it was just the cold so I drove it to school and sat in the parking lot for a little bit when I noticed it was just revving for no reason and not getting to its normal idle speed. Luckily I am in an auto tech class and we scanned it for fault codes. Only after 10 mins of sitting there with the scanner plugged in did my check engine light come on. Weird, but thats when we found the fault code for RANDOM/ALL CYLINDER MISFIRE. Plus my oil was ridiculous low (my VW dealer told me to wait till 20,000 miles instead of coming in at my 17,500 miles apt; I made an apt at 18,200 miles because I thought that was really weird they would have me wait but missed it because something came up).

well its off to the dealer tonight but they would be able to work on it till Monday:frown:

R-Bisch

L-VILE
Car(s)
2006 GTI MKV
Alright thanks a lot for the info. Is it safe to drive to the dealer?? And could I have really screwed myself over by driving it this morning?

dpham00

Modérateur Emeritus
well, fill up the oil and you can drive it so long as you don't have a flashing CEL, or some other major problem. you can drive with misfires(so long as the car seems to run ok), just go easy.

R-Bisch

L-VILE
Car(s)
2006 GTI MKV
Oh okay that sounds good, i was a little scared lol. Whats weird about it though, is that it only does it in Park, its fine when driving, or stopped at a stop light in Drive