GOLFMKV

KW Suspension

HuntR

Go Kart Newbie

TheContender09

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf R
How are you liking the Ohlins? I'm definitely considering them along with others mentioned in this thread.
Sorry for the late response. I have not installed them yet. I ordered verkline rear trailing arms and am waiting for those to arrive. Was gonna swap both at the same time.

HuntR

Go Kart Newbie
Guys, any longer term opinions on the Ohlins R&T’s for a daily/street car? I’ve ordered B6 DCC’s, but they are a couple of months out, so I’m looking at B16 Damptronic kit, Ohlins, or way less $$ Konis Special Actives or Yellows-for stock ride height. Need to get something soon, so may have to pass on the B6DCC.

DarkArrow

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'18 R
Guys, any longer term opinions on the Ohlins R&T’s for a daily/street car? I’ve ordered B6 DCC’s, but they are a couple of months out, so I’m looking at B16 Damptronic kit, Ohlins, or way less $$ Konis Special Actives or Yellows-for stock ride height. Need to get something soon, so may have to pass on the B6DCC.
I bought a used set of Ohlins and have had them on my car for about 18k miles and around 7-8 track days on them. The previous owner had them custom sprung and valved, so it might not be a great comparison to the default Ohlins setup. That being said, I love them. The adjustability is excellent to switch from stiff on track to much more comfortable as a daily. It's probably overkill if it's only for a daily/street car.

If you're considering the B16s, you might be interested in this shock dyno.
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...mptronic-coilovers.380231/page-2#post-7607736

AFAIK, Koni Yellows are a PITA to adjust on the MQB platform. But if you plan to set it and forget it, probably a great option. Can't beat their warranty either. Loved them on my old WRX.

If you haven't looked into them, the EQT coilovers seem to get great reviews overall. I have no experience with them, though.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Those are all vastly different solutions. I don't see the value in Ohlins if you don't track the car (linear springs, no DCC). Same goes for the Konis, sports are a pain to adjust, get rid of DCC. And DCC is far and away better than Special Actives. And if you're looking to stick to stock ride height, why look at coilovers at all?

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
I bought a used set of Ohlins and have had them on my car for about 18k miles and around 7-8 track days on them. The previous owner had them custom sprung and valved, so it might not be a great comparison to the default Ohlins setup. That being said, I love them. The adjustability is excellent to switch from stiff on track to much more comfortable as a daily. It's probably overkill if it's only for a daily/street car.

If you're considering the B16s, you might be interested in this shock dyno.
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...mptronic-coilovers.380231/page-2#post-7607736

AFAIK, Koni Yellows are a PITA to adjust on the MQB platform. But if you plan to set it and forget it, probably a great option. Can't beat their warranty either. Loved them on my old WRX.

If you haven't looked into them, the EQT coilovers seem to get great reviews overall. I have no experience with them, though.

The shock dyno information really isn't applicable to most users, unless you're really into magazine (or internet) racing. If you're that concerned with what is being presented based on how it will affect your car on the track or course, then I highly doubt you'd be looking to keep the DCC.

mike-y

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI / 2016 R
... And DCC is far and away better than Special Actives. And if you're looking to stick to stock ride height, why look at coilovers at all?

not to thread jack, but does anyone have experience with the Special Actives? I have a base R (no DCC), and while the ride height is perfect for me, the ride is a bit harsh. I have a feeling some of it is due to the Bridgestone S001s that came on the car, but I am thinking a set of special actives may be very helpful

HuntR

Go Kart Newbie
Those are all vastly different solutions. I don't see the value in Ohlins if you don't track the car (linear springs, no DCC). Same goes for the Konis, sports are a pain to adjust, get rid of DCC. And DCC is far and away better than Special Actives. And if you're looking to stick to stock ride height, why look at coilovers at all?
Coil overs-because they are available now. B6 DCC’s are earl Dec, and I don’t really trust that date.

GripNRip

Passed Driver's Ed
FWIW i have the KW DDC Plug and Play with Ground Control top hats (ccpmk7). system works flawlessly on my DCC car, perfect height (fully adjustable) and GREAT ride & handling. i daily drive and auto-x in STH. i enjoy the dynamic chassis and ability to make substantial handing changes just by choosing damper and diff settings from in the car.
IMG_8923.jpg

IMG_8921.jpg

ground control.JPG

Last edited:

HuntR

Go Kart Newbie
What’s your ride height like with these DDC’s? I’ve seen them advertised as .4” , .8” min drop-same as my current Eibach Pro springs.

GripNRip

Passed Driver's Ed
What’s your ride height like with these DDC’s? I’ve seen them advertised as .4” , .8” min drop-same as my current Eibach Pro springs.
here is my current ride height. i haven't measured it (well we did when we set it up, but i don't know the drop #)

i did install a 1/4 teflon spacer above the rear spring height adjuster as i felt the rear was initially too low. in fact after auto-xing a few events it all settled a bit i got a couple ride height error codes when racing, so i raised it all back up aprox 20mm front and rear.

gti in 2022).jpg

here is stock vs KW same car.

2015-2022.JPG

this was a touch too low:

IMG_8750.jpeg

Ianb

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Edition 30 Golf GTI
How are you liking the Ohlins? I'm definitely considering them along with others mentioned in this thread.
The Ohlins I find are superb both on track and super comfy on the road.
I’ve just done The Ring and several UK circuits and the damping really is “black magic”. Easily on par and even better than the KW Clubsports I’ve previously run on several cars. I thought they were really good and they are good until I tried the Ohlins.
Different league to B16 Damptronic which are not built to the same level and technology. The rebound and compression cannot be controlled on the electronic dampers.

Certainly puts my old Racingline springs matched to the factory DCC into the shade. The comfort on bad roads is outstanding

HuntR

Go Kart Newbie
I haven’t heard anything but good things about the Ohlins.
What is controlled on the B16’s if not compression or rebound damping?