GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

KW Suspension

-DK-

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
Congrats. I too have the V1s and the ride and handling are really well balanced for a daily driven street car.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
I’m located in the UK and I had the same dilemma whether to delete my DCC and go for a passive kit.
I use my car on track, as a daily therefore needed the best kit for the job.
My car also has Racingline Progressive Springs and 034 rear ARB and a Superpro Caster / Camber Bush kit.
I’ve had this set up since the car was 6 months old in 2016. I tend to run MPS Cup 2’s for odd track days and MPS4S in 19’s on its usualVW Pret wheels.

The car is tuned to APR’s Stage 2 and punches well above its weight on track even with this set up. But like you it’s a minefield getting an upgraded kit that’s both comfy for the road but an upgraded package for circuit use. I had heard from feedback that the Bilstein B16 Damptronic kits were just too basic in their damping ability and not comfy in their softest setting. They’re not rebound or compression adjustable either. I’ve run KW Clubsports which are excellent but need constant Geo changes in the workshop / tuner between road and track as they have adjustable camber plates. I’m not interested in this as a predominately road car tbh.

So I’m going Ohlins Road and Track as they’re are supremely comfy yet brilliant on track.
Getting these fitted mid January so will report back

The balance between street and track is extremely hard to achieve. On the track, you’re always looking for that little bit more. And on the street, most track capable setups are just going to beat you up and will likely get pretty banged up in the process, or the car will.

I’ve learned over the years that you really need a purpose built car for the track unless you just want to toss around your street car for the fun of it every now and again. Hopefully the Ohlins kit ticks all of the boxes for you. I’ve heard they are superb.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
Car looks great, thanks for your feedback on the KWs.

Had you re-adapted your DCC with the Eibachs? I absolutely love the ride on these things (except Comfort, which is underdamped) but have considered coilovers to go lower one day.

We ran the DCC calibration via OBD11 and the values barely changed. I also didn’t feel a discernible difference before and after the adjustment.

Coilovers can be a pain, but are worth it if you want to really dial things in. I was able to level out my uneven ride height, and although this is kind of a no-no when tuning suspension for the track, it’s okay for a street car. If I were tracking the car, I would have gone with Clubsports and a corner weight & balance.

Ianb

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Edition 30 Golf GTI
The balance between street and track is extremely hard to achieve. On the track, you’re always looking for that little bit more. And on the street, most track capable setups are just going to beat you up and will likely get pretty banged up in the process, or the car will.

I’ve learned over the years that you really need a purpose built car for the track unless you just want to toss around your street car for the fun of it every now and again. Hopefully the Ohlins kit ticks all of the boxes for you. I’ve heard they are superb.

I know it’s an impossible task. I’ve got a full blown old MK2 16V VW Cup spec Golf which I bring out then and again.
A race or motorsport set up is just not suitable for the road. Way to stiff.
It’s the holy grail finding a duel purpose set up but at least you can get to a reasonable compromise.
I had several MK5 GTI’s running both KW Clubsports , KW Custom Coilovers and AST’s. The Clubsports were absolutely brilliant and comfy enough on road but could be turned up for track. The springs are about 15% stiffer than the V3’s so nowhere near a race car set up.
I went Ohlins as they were on clearance offer before Christmas and I spoke to a friend who’s also run them and he and other tuners I used here recommended they were on a different level.
My friend has a MK8R with DCC and as a yard stick I asked if the Ohlins are a much better set up than factory MK8R. He said as thought tbh that they were on a different level. Superbly comfy with their unique DFV yet very tied down and stiff in the cornering. Just what you want with bumps nicely rounded off.

Im boxing up my old VW DCC shocks and if it doesn’t work out I can always sell the Ohlins

Ianb

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Edition 30 Golf GTI
I had DCC running Racingline Springs. It’s a nice set cheap set up which I’ve run in my 7R since it was 6 months old.
I recently swApped it out after 6 years usage for Ohlins DFV Coilovers. I put a KW DCC delete kit on to cancel error codes.

It is absolutely sublime super comfy but it’s handling is on another levels.!It’s equivalent to KW Clubsports but it’s far more comfy. Quite expensive but you pay for what you get. Far superior to the cheap Monroe DCC shocks…..you just can’t compare.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
I had the mss track pack springs and the 034 springs on my dcc shocks with the metal 034 top mounts. They both sucked pretty bad because of lack of helper springs up front.

I then got the the b16 with dcc delete. They are stiffer and more controlled at 120mph+ (due to the lower ride height), but they're still pretty crash around town because they're a monotube coil with a metal top mount. My original intent was to keep tracking the car and go stiffer with a linear spring (fronts on b16 are progressive, rears are linear), but I deemed the mk7 too fragile for 10 weekends per year for my needs. Now I want off the coils asap.

I have a toddler and my wife often chooses to take the gti for funsies since the audi is large and slower in traffic. When I set the b16 to a sportier setting, she feels she's being punished and my toddler's head is bobbing around like a ragdoll. On soft they're ok, but still a monotube coil. For these reasons I'm going back to dcc, but now I'm going to custom rates from GC and using swivels and lca to get camber out of the front.

5 suspension iterations and the best one for street use was the stock setup. For track, they were all too soft while also being too harsh on gators. I've ridden on kwv3 on other platforms and in someone else's R and they were fairly street comfy, probably the best coil in the cheap range.

HuntR

Go Kart Newbie
I had DCC running Racingline Springs. It’s a nice set cheap set up which I’ve run in my 7R since it was 6 months old.
I recently swApped it out after 6 years usage for Ohlins DFV Coilovers. I put a KW DCC delete kit on to cancel error codes.

It is absolutely sublime super comfy but it’s handling is on another levels.!It’s equivalent to KW Clubsports but it’s far more comfy. Quite expensive but you pay for what you get. Far superior to the cheap Monroe DCC shocks…..you just can’t compare.
At that price point did you consider the KW DDC kit to retain driving modes?

TheContender09

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf R

Rrrrrmatey

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk 7.5 Golf R
I just bought a set of ohlins for my R. The bc I have now are terrible. But if you want to keep your dcc, try checking out tractive coilovers. My buddy just custom ordered a set for his 2019 golf R. I’m going do a review on his car once we get them in.

https://m.facebook.com/TractiveSusp...ace-system-for-volkswagen-g/2859436780784014/

Looks like they’re around $3800? —

https://tractivesuspension.com/shop...ronically-adjustable-shocks-for-oe-fitment-7/

Good to see another DCC compatible option beyond Bilstein and KW though.

HuntR

Go Kart Newbie

Ianb

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Edition 30 Golf GTI
At that price point did you consider the KW DDC kit to retain driving modes?
No I didn’t.
Several people here were dissatisfied with KW DCC mainly due to springs and their expectations. They’re not really suitable for circuit.
Ohlins are absolutely sublime and mega
comfy for road use. It’s in a different league. Much much better than a budget OE built to budget damper

scrllock

Autocross Champion
No I didn’t.
Several people here were dissatisfied with KW DCC mainly due to springs and their expectations. They’re not really suitable for circuit.
Ohlins are absolutely sublime and mega
comfy for road use. It’s in a different league. Much much better than a budget OE built to budget damper
FWIW KW revised the kit since the initial super-negative release. Talked to DSC a bit about it, they spoke pretty highly of it. But yeah, spring rates are still kinda low for track use.