GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

K04 questions and opinions

Strieg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI BPY
you guys with 6spd, how are your stock clutches holding up?

I have to "ease" into the power in 3rd/4th gears otherwise I get noticeable slip. I'm wondering whether I need an uprated clutch, since mine performs well under most conditions with 114K miles on it. DM also has a customer's K04+ car with stock clutch on their FB page recently (I guess to show that stock clutch can handle the tq curve?)

I'm DSG, but man 114k on the stock clutch with k04? Nice. I think it's up to you, but I'd go for an uprated one, should hold more torque?

k04 and stuff.

Goingnowherefast

Go Kart Champion
you guys with 6spd, how are your stock clutches holding up?

I have to "ease" into the power in 3rd/4th gears otherwise I get noticeable slip. I'm wondering whether I need an uprated clutch, since mine performs well under most conditions with 114K miles on it. DM also has a customer's K04+ car with stock clutch on their FB page recently (I guess to show that stock clutch can handle the tq curve?)

I'm Stage 2+ at 105,xxx miles and my clutch will slip on occasion at low RPMS and high engine load. My solution has been to make a rule basically never hit it below 3500 RPM and it never slips above that because of the torque curve.

Also since this is pretty much the official DM hangout page, I should be getting a race gas and E47 file here shortly. Will report on results.

Strieg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI BPY
I'm Stage 2+ at 105,xxx miles and my clutch will slip on occasion at low RPMS and high engine load. My solution has been to make a rule basically never hit it below 3500 RPM and it never slips above that because of the torque curve.

Also since this is pretty much the official DM hangout page, I should be getting a race gas and E47 file here shortly. Will report on results.

Once you have your ko4 on, it's still a pretty similar rule. But mainly because you'll break traction.
That's sweet, looking forward to see what Bronson does with e47

k04 and stuff.

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
How do you feel about the sound? Haven't youtube'd it yet. You can't run a suitcase right? Just resonator or straight pipe?

k04 and stuff.

Cant see running a suitcase without some extreme bends or running a fake tip. Cut the pipe just after it clears the rear subframe and run a splitter there. 4" slash cut tips with 4" space between them fills the OEM .:R cutouts perfectly.

I am running a EJ tubroback and they have/had a add on for the conversion. Gonna redo mine soon and ill take pics.

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
Yeah

live4something

Ready to race!
Well let us know see those logs too!
And keep the info flowin!

k04 and stuff.
So boost and timing are solid. What's not good is the fuel rail pressure spike and a rich condition within the range of the fuel pressure spike. Possibly due to the higher pressure forcing more fuel through the injectors than expected

Around 6k rpm a/f hits something like 9.9
From what Bronson said the misfire COULD be the ECU cutting fuel to lean things out

Last edited:

Goingnowherefast

Go Kart Champion
So boost and timing are solid. What's not good is the fuel rail pressure spike and a rich condition within the range of the fuel pressure spike. Possibly due to the higher pressure forcing more fuel through the injectors than expected

Around 6k rpm a/f hits something like 9.9
From what Bronson said the misfire COULD be the ECU cutting fuel to lean things out

It's certainly possible. What blocks did you log for fueling btw?

Strieg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI BPY
230 for rail pressure

I've been racking my brain... What would cause this spike? I would think it has to be hardware related. Perhaps PRV isn't cracking like it's supposed to? Since it's fairly easy, maybe try swapping back to stock and see what happens?

k04 and stuff.

live4something

Ready to race!
I've been racking my brain... What would cause this spike? I would think it has to be hardware related. Perhaps PRV isn't cracking like it's supposed to? Since it's fairly easy, maybe try swapping back to stock and see what happens?

k04 and stuff.
I've had the PRV for the last 50k miles without issues until the DM tune

At the same time, I didn't have this problem the first two weeks or so after getting tuned for the K04 either

Last edited:

Strieg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI BPY
I've had the PRV for the last 50k miles without issues until the DM tune

At the same time, I didn't have this problem the first two weeks or so after getting tuned for the K04 either

Hm. I don't think the tune is the issue, only because it's not specifying high fuel pressure. The spec curve is normal, it's the actual that jumps. It seems Weird to have too much fuel pressure. Usually it's the opposite. In any case, you've checked your follower?

Edit- at 50k on the PRV, no chance it's failing under the now higher work load of the k04? And tune requesting higher fuel pressure?

k04 and stuff.

live4something

Ready to race!
Hm. I don't think the tune is the issue, only because it's not specifying high fuel pressure. The spec curve is normal, it's the actual that jumps. It seems Weird to have too much fuel pressure. Usually it's the opposite. In any case, you've checked your follower?

Edit- at 50k on the PRV, no chance it's failing under the now higher work load of the k04? And tune requesting higher fuel pressure?

k04 and stuff.
Yea CF is good. I also went down the path of thinking maybe an injector isn't firing and fuel is getting backed up. But then it shouldn't run rich, right? Yea I can't recall a time I've seen anyone complaining of excess rail pressure.

I also switched out the N276 just because, thinking it may not be functioning correctly (not that I truly know how it works)

Still waiting on a response from Bronson

Strieg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI BPY
With a note from my car, I was on my way to work this morning and blew up something. Boost hose wise. Made a nice popping sound, followed by zero boost, an excellent air rushing/escaping sound, and of course no power. Then EPC and TC lights. While rolling I shut it off and restarted to clear the codes, then limped to work. After work, jacked up the car, crawled underneath, and felt around til I found it. Blew a my twintercooler hose off the hard end on the TOP, by the oil pan.

k04 and stuff.

Strieg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI BPY
Yea CF is good. I also went down the path of thinking maybe an injector isn't firing and fuel is getting backed up. But then it shouldn't run rich, right? Yea I can't recall a time I've seen anyone complaining of excess rail pressure.

I also switched out the N276 just because, thinking it may not be functioning correctly (not that I truly know how it works)

Still waiting on a response from Bronson

I thought that initially as well (clogged injector) but I think it'd run lean, not rich.

I'm stuck with the PRV, because I can't see anything else not showing itself somewhere else in the logs, like a clogged injector or hpfp issue. Except, perhaps a bad o2 sensor? Any codes pop up?

k04 and stuff.