GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is the mk5 gti good quality will i be able to drive it for 5-6 years?

Heco94

Ready to race!
:readthethread:

Im planning to buy a mk5 gti for my first car and i have to drive it 5years minimum i'd love to drive it 6 but will it handle that i live .4 of a mile away from my school i work .5 of a mile away from my house as well my school is about a mile away from my work and my house is in the middle

Im expecting about 30k miles in 5years or a little more or less will the gti handle it ? the gti is from 2007 and should be around 40k miles to 55k im expecting around 51k miles on it... can it handle it should i buy it? :mad0259:

its the perfect car from my not bad on gas good power (for me ) ill add an intake or a axle or cat back exhaust maybe just to add a little go... but its great for me just wondering about the quality... :iono: :thumbsup: :thumbdown:

so what do you think is it good on quality??

heres two gti's im looking at:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...15000&cardist=217&standard=false&rdpage=thumb

and

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...al&max_price=15000&cardist=222&standard=false

something like that thanks alot

josein06gli

GLI OWNER
Car(s)
VW Jetta GLI
if ur good on maintainance and checking cam followers you'll be golden.

Angel@forge

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
06 A3 sport
My 06 has about 45k on it and has never given me a problem. But then again vw's aren't known for their outstanding reliability in all areas. You'll likely have some small stuff come up during ownership but nothing catastrophic would likely happen. But you never know.

Heco94

Ready to race!
My 06 has about 45k on it and has never given me a problem. But then again vw's aren't known for their outstanding reliability in all areas. You'll likely have some small stuff come up during ownership but nothing catastrophic would likely happen. But you never know.

in what areas are they bad so i can change that wright away? id love to do that change it before it goes wrong

iceberq

pewpew
Car(s)
2006 GTI DSG/CW/APR
In my opinion if you're looking for a minimal trouble car, I wouldn't go for the black color- it will show swirl marks all the time and need constant cleaning to look good. Consider white or gray!

The car should last fine with regular oil/fluid changes

hobbes

Ready to race!
This is the number one maintenance item you should check every 20k-ish: the cam follower

Check your oil level every few thousand miles and your engine should be happy.

dustinwark

Miesian
Car(s)
'07 VW GTI
Im planning to buy a mk5 gti for my first car and i have to drive it 5years minimum i'd love to drive it 6 but will it handle that i live .4 of a mile away from my school i work .5 of a mile away from my house as well my school is about a mile away from my work and my house is in the middle

Im expecting about 30k miles in 5years or a little more or less will the gti handle it ? the gti is from 2007 and should be around 40k miles to 55k im expecting around 51k miles on it... can it handle it should i buy it? :mad0259:

its the perfect car from my not bad on gas good power (for me ) ill add an intake or a axle or cat back exhaust maybe just to add a little go... but its great for me just wondering about the quality... :iono: :thumbsup: :thumbdown:

so what do you think is it good on quality??

so you live about a 1/2 mile from your work and school and want to drive to them? I would be walking/riding my bike at that distance.

Are you asking if the GTI will last 30k miles? It seems that is what you are saying. 30k miles in 5 years of ownership.

To answer what I think is your question: Yes, the GTI will last 30k miles if you keep up on the maintenance and treat it nice. Personally I would look for a 2008.5-9 to get the TSI engine.

Heco94

Ready to race!
This is the number one maintenance item you should check every 20k-ish: the cam follower

Check your oil level every few thousand miles and your engine should be happy.

what is this cam follower sorry if i sound stupid but how do i maintain it? specific oil or some better than oem parts? some one send me a link on this lol (on how to maintain and check ur cam follower)

CW MKV GTI

FukenMoven!
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Like any car, as long as you maintain it properly, it'll treat you good. Change the oil with full synthetic(pricey, just to warn you..) every 5000m. Always use the VW Mann oil filters. There are a certain couple things you should look out for. If it's FSI which it appears it would be based on the year you're talking about, the biggest issue with that motor is the cam follower. If you plan on keeping it stock(no chip) it's not as big of an issue, but still needs to be checked every 20k miles or so and replaced if it's showing excessive wear.. Also, I'm just going to tell you now, parts are not cheap for this car. Your highest priority right now should be finding one used from a reputable dealer that is CERTIFIED PRE OWNED. This means you'll be getting an additional 24k mile/2yr warranty on the car. Usually how it works when you buy used from a dealer is you'll get the remainder of the original factory 4yr/50000m warranty and the cpo 24k/2yr will start once you hit 50,000m. So you're pretty much good to 74,000m. Anything can happen in that amount of time, so it's best to have some kind of warranty.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say you're a young kid. So being that the case, a warranty is the best thing you can have, because like I said, if you don't, and something breaks, 9 times out of 10 it's not going to be cheap. I say this because factoring in your monthly car payment, your monthly insurance payment, PLUS parts if something breaks and you don't have warranty, that's a lot of money. Then again I don't know how much you're making. Plus factor in premium gas, etc. You have to be sure you can afford this car. Plain and simple.

So let's recap..

Yes, the GTI is a great car. I strongly suggest you don't buy one privately. Who knows what's been done to the car, and I don't believe the warranty will transfer over with a private sale. Do some searching and find one that's certified pre owned from a VW dealer. Find out what options you want, and what options you can live without. (18" Huf wheels, sunroof, leather, DSG/6MT, yada yada) and LOOK LOOK LOOK. Don't jump the gun. GTIs are kind of the rare end of the spectrum and they don't turn up used a lot, but there are deals to be had. You just have to be patient. Also, the further you're willing to travel to buy a car, the better your chances will be of getting a good deal on a used one, with the options you want, and whatever color you're looking for.

I searched dealer lots online for a year before I found my 2008. Candy white GTIs are so fucking rare to find on the used lot. And that's what I wanted. I wouldn't settle for another color. Plus it had the interlagos interior, 6MT, and premium sound(which I wanted). It was never modified, never flashed. It was a lease car with only one owner who maintained it well. Was always serviced at the recommended intervals. And it only had 32,000m on it. And, I got it for a great price considering(17,049 after taxes fees and registrations), and I got a solid premium on it given my credit score. Before you even buy this car, you need to do the math with your monthly wage. Figure out what you make roughly each month and then consider what you can afford as far as a monthly payment. Then you need to get an insurance quote for your car. And if you're young, especially with tickets, is probably going to be a small fortune given the car is a turbocharged hatchback. My insurance company wouldn't even insure me as the primary driver on my car. I'm 24 years old with no tickets or insurance laps and I've been insured since I was 16, yet I still had to have my father be the primary driver of the vehicle to even get the thing insured.

So I say again, do not jump at the first gti you see that "fits" your budget. Always look into the small things(how many owners, was it serviced according to the book, check the service records, is the carfax clean?, was it ever modded..), because if you do, I assure you it'll pay off.

Last edited:

Heco94

Ready to race!
so you live about a 1/2 mile from your work and school and want to drive to them? I would be walking/riding my bike at that distance.

Are you asking if the GTI will last 30k miles? It seems that is what you are saying. 30k miles in 5 years of ownership.

To answer what I think is your question: Yes, the GTI will last 30k miles if you keep up on the maintenance and treat it nice. Personally I would look for a 2008.5-9 to get the TSI engine.

exactly what im saying and im also looking for what problems these cars have like one of the big bmw 3 series problems is the water pump and i need to know how to fix this problem except on the gti and i have 15k for this car it is my first so... ya

Heco94

Ready to race!
Like any car, as long as you maintain it properly, it'll treat you good. Change the oil with full synthetic(pricey, just to warn you..) every 5000m. Always use the VW Mann oil filters. There are a certain couple things you should look out for. If it's FSI which it appears it would be based on the year you're talking about, the biggest issue with that motor is the cam follower. If you plan on keeping it stock(no chip) it's not as big of an issue, but still needs to be checked every 20k miles or so. Also, I'm just going to tell you now, parts are not cheap for this car. Your highest priority right now should be finding one used from a reputable dealer that is CERTIFIED PRE OWNED. This means you'll be getting an additional 24k mile/2yr warranty on the car. Usually how it works when you buy used from a dealer is you'll get the remainder of the original factory 4yr/50000m warranty and the cpo 24k/2yr will start once you hit 50,000m. So you're pretty much good to 74,000m. Anything can happen in that amount of time, so it's best to have some kind of warranty.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say you're a young kid. So being that the case, a warranty is the best thing you can have, because like I said, if you don't, and something breaks, 9 times out of 10 it's not going to be cheap. I say this because factoring in your monthly car payment, your monthly insurance payment, PLUS parts if something breaks and you don't have warranty, that's a lot of money. Then again I don't know how much you're making. Plus factor in premium gas, etc. You have to be sure you can afford this car. Plain and simple.

So let's recap..

Yes, the GTI is a great car. I strongly suggest you don't buy one privately. Who knows what's been done to the car, and I don't believe the warranty will transfer over with a private sale. Do some searching and find one that's certified pre owned from a VW dealer. Find out what options you want, and what options you can live without. (18" Huf wheels, sunroof, leather, DSG/6MT, yada yada) and LOOK LOOK LOOK. Don't jump the gun. GTIs are kind of the rare end of the spectrum and they don't turn up used a lot, but there are deals to be had. You just have to be patient. Also, the further you're willing to travel to buy a car, the better your chances will be of getting a good deal on a used one, with the options you want, and whatever color you're looking for.

I searched dealer lots online for a year before I found my 2008. Candy white GTIs are so fucking rare to find on the used lot. And that's what I wanted. I wouldn't settle for another color. Plus it had the interlagos interior, 6MT, and premium sound(which I wanted). It was never modified, never flashed. It was a lease car with only one owner who maintained it well. Was always serviced at the recommended intervals. And it only had 32,000m on it. And, I got it for a great price considering.

So I say again, do not jump at the first gti you see that "fits" your budget. Always look into the small things, because if you do, I assure you it'll pay off.

ok thanks im young i have a few months until i buy this car and id love! the gti i make minimum wage and whats the diffrence with the fsi and the tfsi i though the fsi was in the rabbit sorry if im wrong but thats what i though and im looking at maybe even buying a rabbit maybe put a thunder bunny body kit on it idk yet im just searching for whats good...