GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

intake or downpipe?

wiztoogti

Car(s)
06 GTI MK5
Im slowly modding my 06 gti, its a 2.0t 6speed manual. should i purchase a cold air intake or a downpipe first? looking for more power and better sound. what are your thoughts and any particular types of both recommended?

:iono:

Last edited:

LilRaverBoi

Optometrist Prime
Intake will be more for sound, won't net a whole lot of power increase. Downpipe will add power and some sound (especially if you go catless) but will require a tune or you will have a check engine light.....so take that cost into consideration.

I would say intake now for some sound and wait till you can afford to do the tune+downpipe later. Or if you can afford that now, just do that instead of the intake.

wiztoogti

Car(s)
06 GTI MK5
ok thanks, i bought it used and im pretty sure it has a tune from one of the previous owners. it has a service sticker from USP motorsports so i used carfax to get last names of previous owners and a vin number to see if they could look up what had been done but they had nothing in regards to what was done, just that it had been there. I might just start with an intake and progress from there.

LilRaverBoi

Optometrist Prime
I have the Unitronic intake and like the look/design/sound, but there are many other good ones on the market. I'd do some research around the forums and online sellers to see what you like the look of (and prices) and then try looking on YouTube for sound clips. Hope that helps a little.

wiztoogti

Car(s)
06 GTI MK5
Intakes do nothing but add wooshy sounds until you get into other power mods. Save yourmoney for now and get a tune with a downpipe. It will give you more power and sound overall. Unless you love Iin am emissions free state do not go catless.

okay thanks for the input i think i will be doing both

wiztoogti

Car(s)
06 GTI MK5
I have the Unitronic intake and like the look/design/sound, but there are many other good ones on the market. I'd do some research around the forums and online sellers to see what you like the look of (and prices) and then try looking on YouTube for sound clips. Hope that helps a little.

okay thank you

michail77

Go Kart Champion
also do you recommend a certain type of intake?

I liked my Volant intake. It's a bit different than the filter on a stick setup. If you find the traditional intakes a bit obnoxious sound wise this one tames it down. It's still loud but much more refined sounding.

Biggest benefit to an intake is it makes the car easier to work on. That OEM cover is a PITA.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Forgot to mention, stay as far away as possible from the K&N intakes! Personally I think the Evolution Motorsports intake is the best on the market and regarded by many as the best. But the Pflo, Volant, Uni, all have a good wrap. Only issue I've heard of with the Volant is some minor fitment issues but that may have been resolved in newer versions.

michail77

Go Kart Champion
Forgot to mention, stay as far away as possible from the K&N intakes! Personally I think the Evolution Motorsports intake is the best on the market and regarded by many as the best. But the Pflo, Volant, Uni, all have a good wrap. Only issue I've heard of with the Volant is some minor fitment issues but that may have been resolved in newer versions.

I also had the p-flo but I replaced it with the Volant as it was just too loud. Going WOT wasn't so bad but building up a slow spool with the p-flo in heavy traffic got to me.

I had a grommet that didn't quite line up on my Volant but one of them was enough to hold it in place.

alfmoonspace

Ready to race!

I would go with Evolution Motorsports intake as well. Not much more than the cheapest intakes and like Das Gespenst said, it is regarded as one of the better intakes for the MKV.