GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

IE oil pump conversion

HOP929

VEE DUBSTEP'N
Car(s)
07 GTI FSI
well now the time has come just to get my car running again. passed up on the BT build and am just going K04. im rebuilding the engine and came across IE's 1.8T conversion oil pump.

just wondering if anyone has used this system? and, if its worth the chance. I really dont feel like dropping 1300 on a new oil pump. which i think is just dumb. but since these engines are so oil dependant i dont want to have another failure.

MEC

Agreed. I did it on my car, you can get all the parts for the swap for less than half the cost of the IE kit. It also changes your oil pressure because the 1.8t pump doesn't have the check valves that are in the balance shafts.

I went back to balance shafts and just had the gear separated from the weights, the gear still turns but the weighs just sit in place.

HOP929

VEE DUBSTEP'N
Car(s)
07 GTI FSI
okay. is there any rebuild kits for these oil pumps? only ask cause of the emense cost of a new pump. and im not willing to dump that cash. and i see i had a oil issue with the car. i was one of them shoot this is a good oil and ended up not being a good thing. guess these cars dont like royal purple (was told RP foams under boosted applications, whether or not true, i dont know). unless the damage was from the previous owner. which ever may be. there are signs of an oil issue. bearings have wear on them and other places.

and how do you seporate the gear from the shafts? remeber that there was a few threads around here on how to do it just didnt see them in the little bit of searching i did.

MEC

okay. is there any rebuild kits for these oil pumps? only ask cause of the emense cost of a new pump. and im not willing to dump that cash. and i see i had a oil issue with the car. i was one of them shoot this is a good oil and ended up not being a good thing. guess these cars dont like royal purple (was told RP foams under boosted applications, whether or not true, i dont know). unless the damage was from the previous owner. which ever may be. there are signs of an oil issue. bearings have wear on them and other places.

and how do you seporate the gear from the shafts? remeber that there was a few threads around here on how to do it just didnt see them in the little bit of searching i did.

Any oil will foam if you overfill. Crankshaft counterweights beat the oil and froth it up, you get air bubbles in your sump tube and you are toast.

To separate the shafts from the gear, simply cut the main shaft. the outer sprocket is attached to a rod that goes to a gear that connects to another gear that spins both balance shafts. SO remove that entire setup and replace it with rods to keep oil pressure.

HOP929

VEE DUBSTEP'N
Car(s)
07 GTI FSI
Seems fairly simple. I will have to take a look at it to figure out how unless you have a write up on it that would be pretty awesome. So saying my bearing have wear and such. Is a worthy assumption that my oil pump is well done. I drove it with a failure for a while and it opperated just fine. Just sucks that these pumps are 1400. And others are only 300-500 it's a dumb thing on dubs side.

HOP929

VEE DUBSTEP'N
Car(s)
07 GTI FSI
These balance shafts dont go bad often, ive seen 2 in the past year.

That's pretty good. I'm just going to do a shaft delete. But the only thing under question is the oil pump shot?. Rod and main bearings have streaking and wear. Just the coating nothing intense, or caused issues to the crank. Don't want to rebuild my engine and cook a new k04 and trash cams, bearings, and have a rocker shoot off from valve float or lifter failure( that happened) and ruin more things.

I would like to know if there is a way to rebuild these pumps or just bite the bullet and but a new one then do a shaft delete to that one?

MEC

Damn, I had 3 spare balance shafts, my last one just sold last week, let me see if I can get a hold of a guy I know who usually has misc 2.0t engine parts.

HOP929

VEE DUBSTEP'N
Car(s)
07 GTI FSI
Damn, I had 3 spare balance shafts, my last one just sold last week, let me see if I can get a hold of a guy I know who usually has misc 2.0t engine parts.

That would be awesome. As long as the oil pump is good. The balance shafts are going away so I don't care about those. I just need to be able to sleep at night knowing the oil pump is goi g to supply the right pressure and flow.

HOP929

VEE DUBSTEP'N
Car(s)
07 GTI FSI
USP has a 1.8t conversion for 500.. kind of hard to beat that.

viziers

Passed Driver's Ed
Agreed. I did it on my car, you can get all the parts for the swap for less than half the cost of the IE kit. It also changes your oil pressure because the 1.8t pump doesn't have the check valves that are in the balance shafts.

I went back to balance shafts and just had the gear separated from the weights, the gear still turns but the weighs just sit in place.

You sure it changed your pressure? Mine runs at 65psi and idles at 19psi and at 7k rpm im at 120psi....

vizi