GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I threw away my only set of keys... FML

IMperfectGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Ah yes, the day has come. . .

After being careful for 11.99 months of only losing my keys thrice(and being found twice) I have officially lost it... While cleaning my car, I must have obliviously grabbed them with some trash and threw them away.:cry::cry::cry:

So obviously I am going to need a set ASAP, and the stealership is unfortunately my original option. I quoted one a while back(First time I lost my key) at about 280USD. After hearing that, I tore up my house and to my luck there they were. But that is obviously not the tune of my song today.

Any other suggestions as to where I could get a Key Replaced and Programmed online?

I'm in the Metro Atlanta area for reference as to location.

And Shout Out to everyone who went to DurtyDubs at Red Bridge Brewery yesterday! :bowvw: Cool people, delicious beer, and awesome cars :burnrubber: can't ask for a better Sunday!

wizim

sub'd. i just bought an 06 with only one key. the car is for my son who is notorious for loosing house keys. i dont want to take a chance on him losing the car key and have no spare!

IMperfectGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Buy a couple of key fobs from eBay, make sure they are they right kind. Match the engravings on the key blade and so forth. You could even get a valet key made for yourself ;)

DO IT NOW, learn from my mistakes lol

Sent from my D6616 using Tapatalk

Valandil

Passed Driver's Ed
I am in the same boat. Bought the car second hand only came with one key.

Only solution I've gathered is the dealer. I'll go there ask them for two keys and call it a day.

Buy a couple of key fobs from eBay, make sure they are they right kind. Match the engravings on the key blade and so forth. You could even get a valet key made for yourself ;)

DO IT NOW, learn from my mistakes lol

Yea, no. It would work for unlocking your car but you cannot start your car with a key that does not have the immobilizer chip programmed to your car.

If you do not have a donor key to extract the chip, your idea is bad.

IMperfectGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MKV GTI
I figured he was going to have to get a new one programmed at the stealership, so while he was there(getting one key programmed) might as well get a valet at the same time(programmed to his car).

Fred930

Scirocco MK II Track Car
VW Mk V GTI Key

Just went through this last Spring after buying a car with only 1 key. ASAIK a dealer is the only option. I paid less than $200, so it might pay to check several dealers for best pricing.

It's a two step process - the blade must be cut, then the fob programmed. My dealer tried and failed several times to cut the key blank. Had to give up and order direct from VW. I don't think any of the 3rd party scanners (ie: Ross-Tech) have ability to program the fobs - again forcing you to a Dealer.

If you have a good relationship with an independent shop, they might be willing/able to pass on part of the savings by ordering the key for you as a spare part (since they won't have to do anything more than place a phone order). It will still be necessary to take the car to the Dealer for fob programming.

Long gone are the good old days of going to a local hardware store for a $0.75 key!!

IMperfectGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Long gone are the good old days of going to a local hardware store for a $0.75 key!!

Right? Oh well, it's safer and I get that. If I would have gone to another dealer, it would have cost me the difference to go somewhere else. Oh well, lesson learned and now to play the waiting game.

Jeff Spicoli

Female Organ Player
Car(s)
MKV .:R32
:frown: