GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

humming sound

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door
Are you still hearing the original humming problem though?

What kind of tires are you running? How many miles on the tires? A lot of types of tires are notorious for getting obnoxiously loud as they wear, even if they are wearing evenly and alignment is fine. Conti RE050s on some GTIs are supposed to get super loud, as are BFG KDWs and Kumho ASXs for example. My brand new Hankook RS3s hummed since day one.

I would definitely check wear patterns on your tires, including runnning your hand around the tread to feel for any flat spots or look for signs of cupping or feathered tread blocks. These wear patterns can only be fixed by replacing the tires and fixing the cause of the wear: usually bad alignments, incorrect air pressure, worn shocks/ struts, or worn links.

poonpower

Ready to race!
Im not the op, but i do experience loud tire noise, even when rotated. The tires should be done by the start of this year's winter, in which case I will switch to winters anyways. They got about 80000 km on them, so around 50k miles.

The squealing sound have disappeared for some reason, haha. i purposely drove beside a concrete wall but no such sound was heard. I just it was just some debris stuck between the pads and rotors or something.

poonpower

Ready to race!
Thread revival, after hitting the search button, haha

So since my past post, I have now put on summer tires. The sound from last year's worn all seasons hasnt gone away. Its kinda like the same sounds. I THINK the sound is different when cornering, but I do not have other symtoms (no looseness, no vibrations). I do have high tire noise, much like the almost slick all seasons from last year.

Does this sound like a bad wheel bearing is imminent? How long do these things last? I have like 88000km on the car

freshpots

r'zub n t'zug
Car(s)
'22 GTI, '19 GT350R
I'm having a similar issue. I put my summer tires back on after having them stored for 4 months, and the noise is unbearable. I was told that all 4 tires were feathered/cupped, so literally today I just bought new tires. I'm going to put them on and go for a drive and if the noise doesn't go away then I'm stuck...

karimo40

I'm having a similar issue. I put my summer tires back on after having them stored for 4 months, and the noise is unbearable. I was told that all 4 tires were feathered/cupped, so literally today I just bought new tires. I'm going to put them on and go for a drive and if the noise doesn't go away then I'm stuck...

So what happened after you got the new tires? I bought my 07 Fahrenheit in late 2010 and put new Sumitomo HTR A/S P01 tires on right away since the existing tires were shot. They ran quietly (for a GTI -- still a lot of road noise but it sounded like normal tires noise) but within the last 6 months, around 20,000 miles in, they gradually started getting really loud. They had a fair amount of tread left and no uneven wear or cupping could be seen -- the dealer didn't flag them during my 50,000 mile service, but the sound just got unbearable. It wasn't a constant drone, there was a real rotational aspect to it as if one spot on one or more of the tires made a different sound...kind of a wub wub wub. No steering shake or shakes under braking, no real vibrations I can feel (maybe a tiny bit), pretty much just the sound. It doesn't change during cornering other than the sound of the tires working harder. It didn't get better or worse after rotating the tires and rechecking pressure.

So finally yesterday I gave in and bought a brand new set of tires, ones that make special mention of being engineered for a quiet ride (within the confines of a UHP all season anyway) ... Toyo Proxes 4 Plus. Much to my frustration, the sound is still there. It sounds a little different but it's still got that rubbing wub wub wub quality to it. The ride feels great on the new rubber, but I just can't believe I'd be so unlucky as to have brand new defective tires. I can't tell where the sound is coming from, it sounds like everywhere.

I'm going to take it in to the dealer and have them check the hubs, even though the sound doesn't change much during cornering. Is there anything else anyone would recommend I have them look at? I thought maybe warped rotors, but then I suspect I'd feel a braking vibration if that were the case.

freshpots

r'zub n t'zug
Car(s)
'22 GTI, '19 GT350R
So what happened after you got the new tires?

It's a long story. I brought my car to the dealer, requesting they check the wheel bearings. They said the bearings were fine. I said are you SURE they're fine. They said yes - they even wrote it on the work order. They said the tires were causing ALL of the noise. So I bought new tires. Put them on and the noise was identical. Took the car back to the dealer and said what the fuck (politely, of course)

"Sir, all four of your wheel bearings are being replaced under warranty"

Noise is now gone. Demanded the dealer refund me the money for the tires, and they are refusing. Saying it was "impossible to further diagnose without replacing the tires". Still haven't gotten my money back. :mad::mad::mad:

karimo40

It's a long story. I brought my car to the dealer, requesting they check the wheel bearings. They said the bearings were fine. I said are you SURE they're fine. They said yes - they even wrote it on the work order. They said the tires were causing ALL of the noise. So I bought new tires. Put them on and the noise was identical. Took the car back to the dealer and said what the fuck (politely, of course)

"Sir, all four of your wheel bearings are being replaced under warranty"

Noise is now gone. Demanded the dealer refund me the money for the tires, and they are refusing. Saying it was "impossible to further diagnose without replacing the tires". Still haven't gotten my money back. :mad::mad::mad:

Thanks for the update -- if they won't refund the money for the new tires, they should at least give you your old tires back (or assuming they're long recycled now, pay for the pro-rated value left on the tires you gave up). Now I'm wondering if I didn't need to shell out on new tires either, I probably had another 10,000 miles on them here in southern California.

I forgot to mention that I had a 4-wheel alignment done with the new tires yesterday just to rule that out.

I do have an extended warranty/service contract in effect on my GTI, I hope it covers this...a bad hub is eventually a safety issue I'd think, even if right now it's just a major annoyance.

karimo40

For the benefit of someone arriving here by search in the future -- I took it to the dealer and explained it's not the tires, and had the head tech do a ride-along with me. He immediately heard the noise and thought it was outrageously loud. Turns out one of the front hubs was noisy, and the other was loose. Both were replaced - $850. Fortunately my extended service contract covered it.

Wow is it quiet now. Can't believe I lived with the noise for so long.