GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hoping to upgrade...

spiker369

on air, don't care
Alright so I'm a complete noob and I'll probably get mad hate for this but I honestly don't know where to start even after searching.. I've also been lurking the forums and I'm still lost..
Anyways, I'm 19 and currently own a hand-me-down 2003 Honda Accord with 87000 miles on it. It's gone from my grandpa to my mother and now me; I've been driving it for the past two years but ever since I saw my friend's MK4 GTI and all the mods he's done to it I've loved the cars.

So here's the thing, my dad was talking about trading in my car and of course I brought up the GTI. He told me to check the local CarMax inventory and found a 2007 Reflex Silver GTI and I've been staring at the page for days now wishing it were in my driveway.

The GTI has 69000 miles on it and they want $17000 for it but I noticed some threads recently saying that people got 2008's and such with low milage around 14k for the same price... Is the fact that I live in South East Florida (Ft. Lauderdale) the reason that the prices are so high? This is literally the cheapest I can find the car around my area.

Any pricing help would be great. Also if I do end up getting the car, what would be some simple/not too costly mods I could do on my own? I plan on painting the lowers to match the reflex silver, fixing up the shift plate, and probably be shooting the glossy part of the grille matte with plastidip. I pretty much just skate so I don't plan on racing or anything so those kind of mods wouldn't really benefit me.

Anywho, I just realize how much I'm rambling, any help, and the least amount of flaming, I could get would be great. I hope to expand my VW knowledge and learn to love the community here.

Bodhi

Go Kart Champion
Just keep lurking the forums.

Ideally, you want 2008.5+ GTIs. They have the 2.0TSI engine instead of the FSI. The TSI has proven to be a bit more reliable than the FSI (Chain in the TSI vs the belt on the FSI, etc.)

spiker369

on air, don't care
Just keep lurking the forums.

Ideally, you want 2008.5+ GTIs. They have the 2.0TSI engine instead of the FSI. The TSI has proven to be a bit more reliable than the FSI (Chain in the TSI vs the belt on the FSI, etc.)
I remember reading that when I was lurking but the odds of me finding a 2008.5+ for around this price range and local to me don't seem very good. :/
I did find a 2008 with a FSI engine, 63000 miles going for $13000. Would that be a more reasonable price for the year/mileage?

EDIT: The car would be my daily driver if that makes a difference.

Last edited:

Prana

Since 88'
I feel your pain man. I just recently bought my GTI about a month ago from Carmax as well. You can't really go off what other people are getting their cars for. One thing i noticed was car prices seemed really high here in Florida as compared to other places. I can assure you, you're not going to find a nice 8.5/09 GTI for anything under 17k. That is of course unless you're ok with higher mileage and look for a private sale. As a point of reference (mine):

2009 United Grey
30,046 miles
Leather
DSG

Edit: Just you know, you can have any car from Carmax in Florida shipped to your local Carmax for a $49 dollar fee, which they refund for you once you come in to test drive the car. I had mine shipped from Miami to Orlando in less than a week. Let me know if you have any questions.

spiker369

on air, don't care
It must be Florida then! Haha but I did find 5 2007-2008's for under $15000 but again they all have the FSI engine.. ><

EDIT: I also can't find a 100% clear answer, if I were to get either a FSI or TSI engine, would I be able to use regular gas?

Last edited:
Car(s)
Subaru
It must be Florida then! Haha but I did find 5 2007-2008's for under $15000 but again they all have the FSI engine.. ><

EDIT: I also can't find a 100% clear answer, if I were to get either a FSI or TSI engine, would I be able to use regular gas?

yeah, but id use 93. over 10gal, its only $2 more. if you can not do that, then why worry about getting the tsi cause its going to cost more usually.

also, even if you find one in say texas, it would be worth flying there and picking it up and driving back. a plane ticket might cost $200 and maybe 1 full tank of gas. figure $250-$350 more dollars on w/e it is thats far away and go get it.

bhmkv

Auto Body Appraiser
Car(s)
07 CW GTI

I wouldnt use reg gas. Use 91/93 depending on whats in your area. I would go for a TSI if you can find one.

Crispy21

Banned
Car(s)
2008 VW GTI
69k for 17 grand?

I bought an 08 w/ 13k for a little under 17k. Keep looking youll find a better one

spiker369

on air, don't care
yeah, but id use 93. over 10gal, its only $2 more. if you can not do that, then why worry about getting the tsi cause its going to cost more usually.

also, even if you find one in say texas, it would be worth flying there and picking it up and driving back. a plane ticket might cost $200 and maybe 1 full tank of gas. figure $250-$350 more dollars on w/e it is thats far away and go get it.

True. And all 2009's have the TSI engine right? I just found a 2009 TR With 41k miles for $14800. Idk I'll have to talk all this over with my dad in the morning. ><
EDIT: other than seeing a picture of the engine, are there any specifics I can look for in descriptions to tell if a 2008 would have the TSI engine?

Last edited:
Car(s)
Subaru
True. And all 2009's have the TSI engine right? I just found a 2009 TR With 41k miles for $14800. Idk I'll have to talk all this over with my dad in the morning. ><
EDIT: other than seeing a picture of the engine, are there any specifics I can look for in descriptions to tell if a 2008 would have the TSI engine?

the will sit 1" lower i guess

GTIowner

Car(s)
07 GTI, 82 Cutty w/T
Do a google search for VW GTI and you will find all kinds of dealers all over your state that may have what you are looking for. You can also broaden your search depending on how far you want to go to get one. I would definetely go with a Generation 5 or later GTI but if you just like for daily driving get what you want becuase the real plus is they last forever and get great gas mileage!

spiker369

on air, don't care
the will sit 1" lower i guess
Blah that isn't showing up on the pages I'm looking at.
Do a google search for VW GTI and you will find all kinds of dealers all over your state that may have what you are looking for. You can also broaden your search depending on how far you want to go to get one. I would definetely go with a Generation 5 or later GTI but if you just like for daily driving get what you want becuase the real plus is they last forever and get great gas mileage!
And I was mainly just thinking about this. Say I get a 2007/early08; If I replaced the timing belt, when needed, would it be okay for a daily driver? Like I said I don't plan on racing so those kind of upgrades and stuff won't be happening... yet haha; but seriously, I mainly just drive to university, the skate park, and my girlfriend's house. It just comes off to me that everyone here talks as if the FSI engines are complete evil or something.

EDIT: "This 2008 Volkswagen GTI 2dr Hatchback features a 2.0L L4 SFI DOHC 16V Turbo 4 cyl Gasoline engine." SFI? o_O EDIT: nevermind, looked it up, same thing as a FSI huh?.. :/

Last edited:

Prana

Since 88'
Blah that isn't showing up on the pages I'm looking at.

And I was mainly just thinking about this. Say I get a 2007/early08; If I replaced the timing belt, when needed, would it be okay for a daily driver? Like I said I don't plan on racing so those kind of upgrades and stuff won't be happening... yet haha; but seriously, I mainly just drive to university, the skate park, and my girlfriend's house. It just comes off to me that everyone here talks as if the FSI engines are complete evil or something.

EDIT: "This 2008 Volkswagen GTI 2dr Hatchback features a 2.0L L4 SFI DOHC 16V Turbo 4 cyl Gasoline engine." SFI? o_O EDIT: nevermind, looked it up, same thing as a FSI huh?.. :/

LOL. Of course an FSI mkv gti will be ok for a DD man. Think about that question, about 85% of the people on this forum drive an mkv with an FSI motor. All of the aforementioned cars have a wide variety of roles and uses, from "racekors" to "Herrafrush", and everywhere in between. FSI cars every bit as reliable, but unlike the TSI they have some extra maintenence required (i.e.: cam follower, timing belt, pcv, ect.).

Bottom line: TSI if you can get one, if not, oh well. Enjoy :thumbsup:

i<3myMKV

Winner
Car(s)
2006 Tornado Red GTI
If you can get an TSI go for it, if not do not worry it is not the end of the world. Alot of guys here have FSI's and of course you can daily drive it, you are just gonna have to be on top of maintenance. The FSI is not a bad engine and it sounds like you are really trying to steer clear... Anyways I got my 06 with 39k about 2 years ago CPO at South Motors VW for around 13.5k... Keep Searching.

spiker369

on air, don't care
LOL. Of course an FSI mkv gti will be ok for a DD man. Think about that question, about 85% of the people on this forum drive an mkv with an FSI motor. All of the aforementioned cars have a wide variety of roles and uses, from "racekors" to "Herrafrush", and everywhere in between. FSI cars every bit as reliable, but unlike the TSI they have some extra maintenence required (i.e.: cam follower, timing belt, pcv, ect.).

Bottom line: TSI if you can get one, if not, oh well. Enjoy :thumbsup:

If you can get an TSI go for it, if not do not worry it is not the end of the world. Alot of guys here have FSI's and of course you can daily drive it, you are just gonna have to be on top of maintenance. The FSI is not a bad engine and it sounds like you are really trying to steer clear... Anyways I got my 06 with 39k about 2 years ago CPO at South Motors VW for around 13.5k... Keep Searching.

Awesome that's exactly what I wanted to hear. I was just so confused. :thanks:
Anyways, I found a bunch of lower priced GTI's when I searched with AutoTrader but all the shops look really sketchy, and when I contact them they say that the actual prices are different at the store.. haha so weird.