GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hoping to upgrade...

Prana

Since 88'
Awesome that's exactly what I wanted to hear. I was just so confused. :thanks:
Anyways, I found a bunch of lower priced GTI's when I searched with AutoTrader but all the shops look really sketchy, and when I contact them they say that the actual prices are different at the store.. haha so weird.

Its always that way, internet prices are always "lower". Just bullshit sales pitches....

spiker369

on air, don't care
Its always that way, internet prices are always "lower". Just bullshit sales pitches....

That's honestly the dumbest thing I've ever heard of, especially for cars.. If anything it should be the other way around for regular products since you'd have to go out and actually get it. Blah whatever, I just gotta keep looking. :B

penance

Fakinsupa
Car(s)
GTI
TSI.. FSI... take what you can get honestly. Like has already been said, aside from a tad more preventative maintenance you won't see a difference. Obviously if you can go newer, do it, who wouldn't. But I have an FSI and have never had an issue with it @ 78000km now.

spiker369

on air, don't care
TSI.. FSI... take what you can get honestly. Like has already been said, aside from a tad more preventative maintenance you won't see a difference. Obviously if you can go newer, do it, who wouldn't. But I have an FSI and have never had an issue with it @ 78000km now.

Great to hear! :D Although I'm definitely forgetting about that 2007 one I had in the OP! haha

EDIT: "engine: 2.0L I4 16V GDI DOHC Turbo" Is there any difference between the SFI and TDI engines?

Last edited:

dddrew.

blah.
If i were in your shoes i'd just keep the accord until you've saved up some more money. Purchases this large or worth being patent for rather than trying to get the cheapest GTI out there. I'd definitely buy a GTI with a TSI engine in it seeing that my buddy's FSI engine has been in the shop for minor problems constantly while mine has never needed any service done to it. Also never never never pay what the asking price is on a vehicle. It's part of the business and the salesman & boss both don't expect it to sell for that which is why its inflated the way it is.

Again, just be patient and check autotrader for local listings daily. I got my dream car for around $4000 under the average price and my car is in excellent condition with very low mileage... I waited months and months for a good deal and finally got the GTI i wanted.

Prana

Since 88'
If i were in your shoes i'd just keep the accord until you've saved up some more money. Purchases this large or worth being patent for rather than trying to get the cheapest GTI out there. I'd definitely buy a GTI with a TSI engine in it seeing that my buddy's FSI engine has been in the shop for minor problems constantly while mine has never needed any service done to it. Also never never never pay what the asking price is on a vehicle. It's part of the business and the salesman & boss both don't expect it to sell for that which is why its inflated the way it is.

Again, just be patient and check autotrader for local listings daily. I got my dream car for around $4000 under the average price and my car is in excellent condition with very low mileage... I waited months and months for a good deal and finally got the GTI i wanted.

While this is very true, Carmax prices their cars spot on the KBB/NADA value and their prices are no haggle. Just thought id mention it since he has been perusing carmax. But i agree, cars are usually priced higher at lots then what they are actually worth. I brought cash since money talks, and when you are able to pay with cash/check on the spot, you usually can get a great deal if you know how to haggle :cool:.

spiker369

on air, don't care
Ahh I keep getting mixed reviewes on the FSIs. >< But I found a 2008 at a local dealership for $13500, I think I'm gonna go with that and the money I'll be saving from not getting it at CarMax can go to service costs when needed then I'll just keep a close eye on everything and stay on the forums and keep on learning. :)

Prana

Since 88'
Ahh I keep getting mixed reviewes on the FSIs. >< But I found a 2008 at a local dealership for $13500, I think I'm gonna go with that and the money I'll be saving from not getting it at CarMax can go to service costs when needed then I'll just keep a close eye on everything and stay on the forums and keep on learning. :)

Judging by the year and price, im going to assume that its higher mileage, 50k+? Thus I would be prepared to do a fair amount of service and maintenance to the car (i.e.: plugs, oil change, dsg fluid (if applicable), timing belt, cam follower, ect.). As you can see it adds up in the end if you cheap out and get an older, higher mileage FSI. It's definitely a costly option if you're not able to do the above on your own as well.

spiker369

on air, don't care
Judging by the year and price, im going to assume that its higher mileage, 50k+? Thus I would be prepared to do a fair amount of service and maintenance to the car (i.e.: plugs, oil change, dsg fluid (if applicable), timing belt, cam follower, ect.). As you can see it adds up in the end if you cheap out and get an older, higher mileage FSI. It's definitely a costly option if you're not able to do the above on your own as well.
Yeah it's got 80k.. well, my father is friends with the owner of the dealership so we'll talk it over with him before anything.

spiker369

on air, don't care
Sooooooo, I've still been searching and I came across this GTI. It's a 2008, I assume it's got a FSI engine, but it has 35k miles compared to the other one I was looking at with 80k. Can anyone tell me if there seems to be anything wrong with this one from looking at that page? It seemed kinda weird to me that the dash says it's at 2mph when it's in park. >.>

penance

Fakinsupa
Car(s)
GTI
Sooooooo, I've still been searching and I came across this GTI. It's a 2008, I assume it's got a FSI engine, but it has 35k miles compared to the other one I was looking at with 80k. Can anyone tell me if there seems to be anything wrong with this one from looking at that page? It seemed kinda weird to me that the dash says it's at 2mph when it's in park. >.>

It's been a long time since I paid any attention to all those digital statistics that the you can access on that screen... but I believe the "2mph" may be the average speed the car was at since they last had the engine running :iono: (i.e - they rolled it a few feet out of it's parking space on the lot to snap pictures).

The screen doesn't show a digital speedometer reading like say a Civic does.

edit: Car looks pretty clean to me... I don't see anything that pops out as red flag. I think it's been said before, but since that car is 35k miles - the VW maintenance schedule has a 40k DSG service which is usually pretty expensive compared to all the other regular service intervals. Not a dealbreaker or anything, just something to be aware of... see if maybe they would throw it in with the deal :biggrin:

Last edited:

spiker369

on air, don't care
It's been a long time since I paid any attention to all those digital statistics that the you can access on that screen... but I believe the "2mph" may be the average speed the car was at since they last had the engine running :iono: (i.e - they rolled it a few feet out of it's parking space on the lot to snap pictures).

The screen doesn't show a digital speedometer reading like say a Civic does.

edit: Car looks pretty clean to me... I don't see anything that pops out as red flag. I think it's been said before, but since that car is 35k miles - the VW maintenance schedule has a 40k DSG service which is usually pretty expensive compared to all the other regular service intervals. Not a dealbreaker or anything, just something to be aware of... see if maybe they would throw it in with the deal :biggrin:

Ahh alright, I wasn't sure on that! And oh, so say they won't do the DSG service, would it still be worth it to pick this one up with the low milage or go for the 80k one? http://www.pinesford.com/VehicleDet...n-GTI-4dr_HB_DSG-Pembroke_Pines-FL/1706796183