GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

High mileage MKVers - how has it been?

Leo41

Hi everyone...

I just bought an 08 GTI with 110k for a great price. I'm planning on doing the following to be on the safe side...

Timing belt w/cam follower
pcv
diverter valve
all filters
DSG service - shifts and runs fine
plugs and coils
possibly decarbon

I just wanted to get owners' opinions on this.

I am considering springing for water pump replacement (with chain), thermostat as well.

Is there anything I am missing?

What is your choice oil for high mileage MKVs?

Thanks

Eric6014

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2 Door 2008 GTI DSG
Hi everyone...

I just bought an 08 GTI with 110k for a great price. I'm planning on doing the following to be on the safe side...

Timing belt w/cam follower
pcv
diverter valve
all filters
DSG service - shifts and runs fine
plugs and coils
possibly decarbon

I just wanted to get owners' opinions on this.

I am considering springing for water pump replacement (with chain), thermostat as well.

Is there anything I am missing?

What is your choice oil for high mileage MKVs?

Thanks

Is it FSI or TSI? If it's FSI and you're doing the timing belt, there's no reason not to do the water pump at the same time.

I'm at 90K and have been running Rotella T6 for about the last 15K. It's not VW sanctioned oil, but do a search on here and you'll see a lot of people swear by it. I've noticed less wear on the cam follower since switching from Castrol.

How long have you had the car? Get the Rev-D divertor valve and maybe plug and coils, but if I were you I'd wait a month or two before sinking any more money into it. Give yourself some time to get to know the car and figure out anything that needs to be addressed before putting money into parts that might not be necessary.

Ronan1

Ready to race!
Is it FSI or TSI? If it's FSI and you're doing the timing belt, there's no reason not to do the water pump at the same time.

I'm at 90K and have been running Rotella T6 for about the last 15K. It's not VW sanctioned oil, but do a search on here and you'll see a lot of people swear by it. I've noticed less wear on the cam follower since switching from Castrol.

How long have you had the car? Get the Rev-D divertor valve and maybe plug and coils, but if I were you I'd wait a month or two before sinking any more money into it. Give yourself some time to get to know the car and figure out anything that needs to be addressed before putting money into parts that might not be necessary.

Your list looks good, and x2 on the water pump. 'While you're in there' best to swap out all the parts which will eventually fail, but do them every 80k miles or so, and you'll avoid maintenance headaches in the future.

I did the water pump, t'stat, timing belt all @ ~80k-ish miles - I've now got 150k miles and I'm good till 160 or so.

wasntme

Got 250k. Want to ask is it normal for mk5 ?

Front wipers location.
Left

Right

Mightjo3young

I see I’m late to the party, but I’m at 238552. Purchased at 16000. I rear ended some one once, rebuilt front end then my wife did it a few years later. Rebuilt it again.

Timing belt at 80,000 or so. Have t done if since. Top half of cover is off so I look at the belt when I change the oil to inspect for cracks or deterioration. I’ve done cv joints a couple times each. Wheel bearings a few times all around as well. N86 valve something or other, pvc, diverted valve, new gaskets for oil filter housing one winter, the next winter the thing cracked so I got to do it all over again and install a new one. Removed intake and manually cleaned the carbon from the valves. There was lots!!! Did injector seals without buying any special tools. I’ve done the radiator a few times now the last time being yesterday. I hate that there is no way to properly drain the fluid from the bottom as well as the stupid and unnecessary extension pieces the have on the inlet and outlet ports of the radiator. trans went out at 74k or something Literally just a few miles after the warranty expired but luckily we got vw to cover the install of a new one. Anyways I’ve had the trans flushed twice since then. That was out of order but I forgot to mention it earlier. Anyways interior has been falling apart. Had the headliner redone now the door skins and rear skins have all peeled off. The glue is a nightmare one the summer. Need to do something about that soon. The blower motor is now trying to actuate something when I start the car and go in reverse but I haven’t bothered to fix that yet. I bought the parts for the cam follower a while ago but never installed them. She drinks oil but it seems that most winds up in the intercooler and drains out whenever I disconnect the lines to get to something else. No smoke from the exhaust so I’m happy. I had an issue with the wiring that goes to the coil packs rubbing through. Had to fix and secure so it didn’t happen again. Just did brakes and rotors all around along with 760 worth of new tires. And some wheel bearings and front cv’s. Probably spent close to 1500 the last 6 months, tires being the big killer. I do all the work myself so I plan to keep the car till the engine quits which seems like it might not be for a while. I have been contemplating doing shocks and struts all around as I have never changed them, alothough I don’t bounce over bumps and they still seem to function fine although it does seem to be tougher than it should. I had vibration at 75-80, but since doing the rear wheel bearings and front Cvs along with new tires it’s like I’m in a brand new car. No vibration and smooth as can be again. It’s been work, but any vehicle will be so I might as well stick with what I’ve got. Oh yea the radio turns itself on no keys, so I have to pull the fuse to ensure I can drive away when I get back in. Just need to replace the radio.
I’d be interested to hear from others that are in the 200,000s
The tires I just got should take me to 300,000 and that’s where I’m hoping to get to. If I do that I’d say she served me well. Really it already has.

Mightjo3young

90F8D652-1979-4409-80D8-9F584451EC44.jpeg
B49F977E-561A-4302-B13C-26FE5F8A4CF9.jpeg

One clean valve and one that wasn’t done just for a comparison. Then the pain in the butt oil filter housing. Forgot to say that I’ve done the valve cover gasket once.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
I sold my 09 to a friend and bought it back 5 years later when the engine jumped time. Rebuilt the head at 173k and still going strong. It's held up really well. Had to redo the headliner and replace the water pump, but both of those were about 6 years ago.
IMG_20201112_081826551.jpg

Eric6014

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2 Door 2008 GTI DSG
I sold my 09 to a friend and bought it back 5 years later when the engine jumped time. Rebuilt the head at 173k and still going strong. It's held up really well. Had to redo the headliner and replace the water pump, but both of those were about 6 years ago.

Did you do the headliner yourself? My car is still going strong but in need of some cosmetic repairs. The headliner and door fabric being the most annoying of them. I'm dreading having to deal with it, but its long overdue at this point..