GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HID levelers which direction?

HipToss

Behind the iron sights
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Used my lights for the first time all summer after having car lowered. Light is about 30ft out. The levelers are on both front and back of car. How many are there? What side, driver or passenger? Which way should they be facing, in toward car or outward? Getting ready to jack up car to check, but want to make sure I check all levelers.

Respect,

A

07Noside

Banned
if you lowered it and never physically adjusted the lights on the housings then the levelrs aren't your problem. look under the hood on the light facing up is a white/clear plastic adjuster that has a hex key opening in it IIRC. park about 10 feet away from a wall on a level surface and raise the lenses accordingly and not to blind everyone else.

HipToss

Behind the iron sights
Car(s)
2008 GTI
I was going to do that, but have read where the levelers could be set in the wrong direction after install.

07Noside

Banned
That is a possibility but if that were the case they would either be shooting into the sky like when you flip on the hi beams or they would hit the ground and not shine 10 ft past you.

HipToss

Behind the iron sights
Car(s)
2008 GTI
I got you, I guess I will need to check the values in VAGCOM, then reset the home values. Damn, these auto levelers sound great, until you have to adjust. Why cant it be as easy as my '70 Chevelle SS :(

on.your.left

Ready to race!
Used my lights for the first time all summer after having car lowered. Light is about 30ft out. The levelers are on both front and back of car. How many are there? What side, driver or passenger? Which way should they be facing, in toward car or outward? Getting ready to jack up car to check, but want to make sure I check all levelers.

Respect,

A

I just dropped my car on Thursday and noticed my HIDs are no longer auto-leveling and are now only shining about 10-15ft in front of my car. From what I've read, there are 2 HID levelers, both on the driverside, front and rear. I'm going to be jacking mine up today to see if my HID levelers are messed. It looks like the front HID leveler should be facing outward and the rear HID leveler should be facing rearward.

Here's what you are looking for:

funky_chilli

Go Kart Champion
so is this something that i'd have to tell the person who does my lowering to look out for?
or is it something that any competent lowering guy would be aware of?

HipToss

Behind the iron sights
Car(s)
2008 GTI
I just dropped my car on Thursday and noticed my HIDs are no longer auto-leveling and are now only shining about 10-15ft in front of my car. From what I've read, there are 2 HID levelers, both on the driverside, front and rear. I'm going to be jacking mine up today to see if my HID levelers are messed. It looks like the front HID leveler should be facing outward and the rear HID leveler should be facing rearward.

Here's what you are looking for:

I thought they both should be facing towards the drivers side? Or am I mistaken?

funky_chilli

Go Kart Champion
that sucks...and i'm guessing because it is something u did aftermarket it can't be fixed under warranty?
good luck with the fixing! :)

on.your.left

Ready to race!
I just took a look at my HID levelers.

Here's the front:

Here was the rear:

I flipped the rear to the other side to match Swankmonkey's picture and Dan GSR's comments about the above pic being WRONG, but that didn't help with my HIDs not auto-leveling and shooting too low.

Do these now look right? Mine now both look like they are pointing to the driverside and look to be attached correctly (now that I flipped the rear) and with no damage to the HID levelers. Do I now need to manually adjust at the headlight? Vagcom?

My HIDs were working perfectly before getting the coilovers installed on Thursday. I was hoping it was something simple like the HID levelers not being attached correctly, but that doesn't appear to be the case. I don't want to manually adjust the HIDs at the headlight unless I'm sure that's the problem.

Does lowering 2" front/rear require a manual adjustment at the headlight to compensate for the drop? Could my HID settings have gotten messed-up, now requiring reseting via Vagcom?

Last edited: