GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Help !!! Problems/Questions after some Mods done.

Simon.GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
:readthethread::readthethread::readthethread:

Hi guys,

Long story in short, I recently did some car mods on my 07 DSG GTI FSI, below are the lists of mods:

APR Stage 2 tuned
Ebay Downpipe
APR Carbonio FSI intake
BSH Mounts - Full set (Engine, Trans, Pendulum)
BSH PCV Block Off Plate
R32 rear conversion (Stock suitcase muffler delete with custom pipe and tips)

After all being done, car acted really aggressive and really really loud. Also, I am suffering below issues.

1, Car is really loud on cold start also loud on the road, it is really annoying, especially driving on the highway, i cant barely hear people talking next to me.

2, Power loss between 2000-3000 rpm, a big lost, i think my stock gti is even faster than this between 2000-3000 rpm.

3, Black smoke coming from exhaust, my exhaust tip is all black now (Only drove 500km)

4, Significant Vibration noise/Shake while idling. it makes the flap flap flap noise, most of the noise is coming from somewhere deep in the dash on the passage side. Sounds like 2 pieces of plastic clapping together.

All of above are make me so upset after spending all the money into the car, the car is getting "worse"

Can someone please help and advise how to fix my problem? Especially the Vibration noise.

Thanks
Simon

:readthethread::readthethread::readthethread:

Ich_Will

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'08 GTI
I don't know for sure but the BSH mounts could be transferring vibrations from where they used to be (in play under the hood) to now the cabin.
When you say the car is loud driving...exhaust loud or vibration loud?
Looks like you did some serious mods to both. I'm not really sure what you expected. Muffler deletes will always make a car louder.

defense05

Ready to race!
Did you do any research before buying and installing those mods? The ebay downpipe could cause the noise if you have an exhaust leak. The black stuff is from not having catalytic converters anymore. The vibration is from the engine mounts. The noise could also be from the mounts. Also, the mounts will cause plastic pieces in your doors and dash to start rattling. It's why I went with 034 street density mounts.

penance

Fakinsupa
Car(s)
GTI
Did you do any research before buying and installing those mods? The ebay downpipe could cause the noise if you have an exhaust leak. The black stuff is from not having catalytic converters anymore. The vibration is from the engine mounts. The noise could also be from the mounts. Also, the mounts will cause plastic pieces in your doors and dash to start rattling. It's why I went with 034 street density mounts.

Gonna have to 2nd this... sounds like all your mods are resulting in what would be expected.

Simon.GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
I don't know for sure but the BSH mounts could be transferring vibrations from where they used to be (in play under the hood) to now the cabin.
When you say the car is loud driving...exhaust loud or vibration loud?
Looks like you did some serious mods to both. I'm not really sure what you expected. Muffler deletes will always make a car louder.

It is the exhaust being really loud.

Simon.GTI

Passed Driver's Ed

I am going to put back my stock engine mount to see if the vibration will gone. I cant stand with it...

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I agree with everyone above. After reading the mod list, I'd expect all those results.

defense05

Ready to race!
Since you bought an ebay downpipe, the connection to the stock cat-back could be bad and causing an exhaust leak. Buy a better one (sorry, I don't know the proper names) and it should be fixed.

LilRaverBoi

Optometrist Prime
I would check for exhaust leaks at the downpipe and also at the back where exhaust work was done. That could cause some of the noise issues (especially the farther forward the leak is). Otherwise, a catted downpipe and muffler delete WILL make the car significantly louder. If you don't like this, put a muffler back on it (maybe a nice Borla or flowmaster version), a resonator or buy a catted downpipe.

I agree with others that the outcome is to be expected (mounts increase NVH-noise vibration, harshness) and exhaust change removing mufflers/cats will increase noise levels. Check for leaks or anything wrong, but you might just be experiencing what is 'normal' for these performance mods. Did you research these things before buying them?

Simon.GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Since you bought an ebay downpipe, the connection to the stock cat-back could be bad and causing an exhaust leak. Buy a better one (sorry, I don't know the proper names) and it should be fixed.

Yeah, I did have leak on the downpipe... the car will be in the shop to fix the leak next week.

When you say, buy a better one, do you mean better DP or better clamp to fix the leak? lol.. yeah, i know I have an ebay DP, it sucks!!! Save up money for a good DP this summer.

Simon.GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
I would check for exhaust leaks at the downpipe and also at the back where exhaust work was done. That could cause some of the noise issues (especially the farther forward the leak is). Otherwise, a catted downpipe and muffler delete WILL make the car significantly louder. If you don't like this, put a muffler back on it (maybe a nice Borla or flowmaster version), a resonator or buy a catted downpipe.

I agree with others that the outcome is to be expected (mounts increase NVH-noise vibration, harshness) and exhaust change removing mufflers/cats will increase noise levels. Check for leaks or anything wrong, but you might just be experiencing what is 'normal' for these performance mods. Did you research these things before buying them?

:thumbsup: Sounds like exhaust leak is the reason...and do you have any suggestions? which muffler i should get to decreased the noise at the meantime to keep my R32 rear look?

I did do some reaserches before buying the mods, and watched a couple videos on youtube, but my car sounds totally different than the cars in the videos, maybe because of the leak.

For the mounts, I know it will cause NVH, but didnt expect to have the flap flap flap sounds on the dash, lol...

live4something

Ready to race!
Normally with eBay DPs its the V-band clamp that sucks. The clamp the hold the two pieces of the downpipe together, not the clamp at the reduction to the stock catback

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Aside from the power loss, everything sounds normal. As everyone above stated you put performance parts on your car, the mounts are poly, they will transfer noise and vibration. You're almost straight piped, not sure what you thought was going to happen there except be really really loud. Black smoke is from the non catted downpipe, plenty of info out there on this. If your going to spend the money, do your research and know what your getting into.

you tube videos are a joke compared to real life, I never base opinions on them as you are finding out.

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
1, Car is really loud on cold start also loud on the road, it is really annoying, especially driving on the highway, i cant barely hear people talking next to me.

No s**t, straightpipe with a resonator is going it be loud.

> Ebay Downpipe
> Stock suitcase muffler delete

3, Black smoke coming from exhaust, my exhaust tip is all black now (Only drove 500km)

Normal.

4, Significant Vibration noise/Shake while idling. it makes the flap flap flap noise, most of the noise is coming from somewhere deep in the dash on the passage side. Sounds like 2 pieces of plastic clapping together.

> BSH Mounts - Full set (Engine, Trans, Pendulum)

Full replacement with stiff mounts, normal.

Look, you put racecar parts on a car you have to deal with racecar vibration, rattles, and noise. You cant expect OEM refinement with aftermarket mods.

Brigand253

Ready to race!
Give those mounts some time to settle in. The NVH you are experiencing now will decrease dramatically. Mine settled down in 3 days or so.

Make sure that your car has had the fuel line rattle fix applied.

Get a better clamp where your downpipe meets the exhaust and you should be fine.