GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

H & R Sways Fitted to MKVR32

funny

VCDS guru & soon Dad x2 !
Car(s)
Golf MkV GTI MY07
sway bars don't reduce chassis flex.. they increase effective spring rate for the outside wheel when cornering. They should have no bearing on ride.

any increase in spring rate will affect ride compared to stock.
Question is whether you notice the change or not.
I'm pretty sure big bar up front on hard is going to be pretty noticeable in comparison to stock - GTI or R32 (more noticeable in GTI as lighter up front).
Sway bars don't stiffen up chassis but reduce compliance in the suspension (opposite way of you looking at it) = worse ride, esp over one sided bumps.
Small bar on soft may not be so bad. Big bar on hard (then + coilovers) = sore butt on our B-roads.

Blue.:R32

Ready to race!
So consider the suspension setup like an X, the inside front wheel spring rate will increase at the expense of the opposing rear tyre traction? Is this right?

I think what I meant was the outside wheel (the loaded side of the car). Anyway, when you go around corner, your inside wheel will try to "lift". A sway bar (which links the control arm on both side), will transfer some of that lifting force of the inside to the outside, acting opposite to what the outside is trying to do which is compression. Thus minimising roll.

I'm sure there are lots of threads where white james have explained this much better than I have.

The issue I think is when the bars are too stiff (large diameter), the effective spring rate become too high. In the real world with real shitty roads, handling is compromised when you hit a bump mid-corner.

thezoneR32

Ready to race!
Ok, you guys know a lot more about the technical aspects of the suspension geometry than I. In terms of ride, its definitely not worse its more predictable/balanced. I don't mind if the whole car shifts briefly over a one sided bump at least you know what its gonna do, you can feel the direction the car is moving and if you're running good tyres the car regains composure very quickly. Before Sways = too compliant and unbalanced ride, after sways = tight and predictable.

Blue.:R32

Ready to race!
Ok, you guys know a lot more about the technical aspects of the suspension geometry than I. In terms of ride, its definitely not worse its more predictable/balanced. I don't mind if the whole car shifts briefly over a one sided bump at least you know what its gonna do, you can feel the direction the car is moving and if you're running good tyres the car regains composure very quickly. Before Sways = too compliant and unbalanced ride, after sways = tight and predictable.

I think your setup is fine. It's balanced front/rear and that is the main thing. The R32 is pretty "safe" in general, you'd be fitting a 24mm bar on hard @rear only and THEN you'd still have to drive in a certain way (lift off half way through an off camber corner :biggrin:) to provoke it to lose the rear. (i'd hate to be there when it happens though) :eyebulge:

I do agree that the stock setup on the R32 is a bit vague.