GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

H & R Sways Fitted to MKVR32

thezoneR32

Ready to race!
Got some H&R sways fitted yesterday. 24mm Front set to soft -26mm rear set to Hard. Bought them direct from ECS tuning as the dollar is so good. The difference is amazing. The whole car is really tied down now. Turn in responsiveness and feedback has increased substantially. Understeer virtually non-existent. It also feels smoother and more expensive to drive now. This is a no brainer. I would describe the drive before the sways as sloppy compared to this. I would go as far as to say that doing the coilovers alone is a waste of time as would be a rear only sway.

Now the car is complete............for now

funny

VCDS guru & soon Dad x2 !
Car(s)
Golf MkV GTI MY07
I would go as far as to say that doing the coilovers alone is a waste of time as would be a rear only sway.

There would be quite a few who would disagree there. Me being one of them.
Rear only sway was night & day difference in handling, maybe not 100% reduction in sway, but definitely enough to be noticeable.

thezoneR32

Ready to race!
There would be quite a few who would disagree there. Me being one of them.
Rear only sway was night & day difference in handling, maybe not 100% reduction in sway, but definitely enough to be noticeable.

I think the GTI and R32 are very different in the front end. The R32 being much heavier up front will accentuate a sloppy front set up. The FSB really gives a more direct & connected feeling when cornering. I was worried that it would make the car more "Go-karty" and harsher but the HPA KW SHS in conjunction with F & R SB honestly make the car feel like its an expensive luxury/sports car.

It sits so much flatter in turns.

dstyle

Ready to race!
I have an R32 and i have only the RSB and it has made a day and night difference to me. Im sure its not as good as replacing front and rear, but im still very very happy with just the rear.

JTW

Ready to race!
Car(s)
R32
Hmm... This has got me interested. I have Bilstein PSS10's set on 10.. I love go-cart feel. Just reading these comments, I was always sceptical and thought the seriously can't change "that" much over the coilovers?

thezoneR32

Ready to race!
Hmm... This has got me interested. I have Bilstein PSS10's set on 10.. I love go-cart feel. Just reading these comments, I was always sceptical and thought the seriously can't change "that" much over the coilovers?

Your Pss10's would already have a tighter feel than my KPW SHS but with more NVH. But I guarantee that sway bars will make a huge difference. No matter how good your coilovers are they physically cant reduce chassis flex like sway bars.

The AUS$ is even better now than when I bought mine from ECS a couple of weeks ago. Incidentally it took 6 days from date of order to arrive on my doorstep from the US! wtf!

Capercat

It's a chuck-about

How can you drive on council roads with PSS10's set to 10!

Mine were set to 5 at front & 3 in the rear. Then again I had 28mm/24mm H&R sways. It was way too firm for my butt.

JTW

Ready to race!
Car(s)
R32
How can you drive on council roads with PSS10's set to 10!

Mine were set to 5 at front & 3 in the rear. Then again I had 28mm/24mm H&R sways. It was way too firm for my butt.

Lol, I honestly love the feel. It doesn't phase me.
But then again... I am young and silly :biggrin:

I need stiffer springs too IMO, Need a good stance without rubbing.
So far I'm running ET40 with a little rubbing on mildly quick turns.

Blue.:R32

Ready to race!
sway bars don't reduce chassis flex.. they increase effective spring rate for the outside wheel when cornering. They should have no bearing on ride.

26mm rear is massive and you definitely wouldn't want to have that and stock front bars anyway. It's about front rear balance at the end of the day. I simply have a 22mm bar on the rear and stock front (R32 + PSS10).

edited: outside wheel effective rate increase

Last edited:

Capercat

It's a chuck-about
sway bars don't reduce chassis flex.. they increase effective spring rate for the inside wheel when cornering. They should have no bearing on ride.

So consider the suspension setup like an X, the inside front wheel spring rate will increase at the expense of the opposing rear tyre traction? Is this right?