GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Got scammed and just venting here

scslite

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7
Sorry to hear about that. Hope you get your money back. Something needs to happen to protect legitimate buyers and sellers and build marketplaces that weed out scammers.

Superfreak

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
‘19 M2C, ‘05 Taco
OK I’ll go. I had recently decided to sell my Golf R, so I listed it on Autotrader, Craigslist, and FB Marketplace. I was thinking FB would bring about the most scammers, but nope, it was Autotrader. The first of few inquiries was someone wanting to buy from out of state. They had their daughter’s wedding to attend but wanted to buy the car and I can ship it when the funds clear. When I asked to talk to them about the deal, they told me that they were deaf and couldn’t talk on the phone. That’s BS since I’ve worked with AT&T transcribing service, though it was a long time ago. Almost had me believing in an easy sale!

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I got real life scammed.

Someone put a CC skimmer on a reader in our local QT (gas station for those who don’t live in the southeast).

Within 24 hours they stole $300 by purchasing $100 at a time from a local Target in person, which I’m assuming was them buying gift cards.

I got my money back, although it took several hours of waiting on the phone on different occasions.

The “sign” I should’ve caught was the CC reader said “present only one card” twice when I attempted to use the tap function. Should’ve tipped me off, but I inserted my card and the rest is history.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I got real life scammed.

Someone put a CC skimmer on a reader in our local QT (gas station for those who don’t live in the southeast).

Within 24 hours they stole $300 by purchasing $100 at a time from a local Target in person, which I’m assuming was them buying gift cards.

I got my money back, although it took several hours of waiting on the phone on different occasions.

The “sign” I should’ve caught was the CC reader said “present only one card” twice when I attempted to use the tap function. Should’ve tipped me off, but I inserted my card and the rest is history.
Had this happen like 6 months ago at a RaceTrac or QT. Never really narrowed it down. Luckily, Chase was easy to work with and refunded me the stolen $38 or whatever they used it on. Probably a smaller amount in hopes I wouldn't notice it. I've stopped using tap-to-pay at the pump since. Not sure if inserting is better or not, but it feels safer now haha.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
I got real life scammed.

Had this happen like 6 months ago at a RaceTrac or QT. Never really narrowed it down. Luckily, Chase was easy to work with and refunded me the stolen $38 or whatever they used it on. Probably a smaller amount in hopes I wouldn't notice it. I've stopped using tap-to-pay at the pump since. Not sure if inserting is better or not, but it feels safer now haha.

looking back....do either of you remember if the skimmer could have been visually identified had you been looking for it (ie was it bulky or an add-on that didn't seem right?)?

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
No, but I actually look every single time since then.

Sometimes I’ll even grab the edge and see if I can pull the top cover off now.
yeah I ask as I've never seen one and aren't sure if I'd know it if I saw one

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
No, but I actually look every single time since then.

Sometimes I’ll even grab the edge and see if I can pull the top cover off now.
I always check those too. A cop told me once it's more often than not the employees of said establishment be it a gas station or other, reporting it to the clerk just alerts them to remove it before they get caught by anyone that matters.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
looking back....do either of you remember if the skimmer could have been visually identified had you been looking for it (ie was it bulky or an add-on that didn't seem right?)?
I do not recall anything looking out of the ordinary at all, but have definitely been paying more attention since then.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
yeah I ask as I've never seen one and aren't sure if I'd know it if I saw one
Typically you would yank, pull, and tug to see if anything comes off. Also look for discolorization as a skimmer will look newer than the rest of the pump's CC machine.

200709-Card-Skimmer.jpg

UntitledCC skimmer.jpg

2LEEGIT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI MK7
Yeah, care to share so I don’t fall for it?
What happened?
Answered a WTB post on 6speedonline. Received paypal goods/service payment and shipped item as always. Buyer filed a dispute stating part doesn't work but only shipped an individual part of the whole assembly back, not the complete unit I shipped out to him. I tried to fight and sent pictures of the item I sold, pictures of the box vs what the buyer sent back to me...PP doesn't care, as long as there's shipping label and that something or a box was returned to me (the seller). PP forced 100% refund plus $15 fee for process of disputing.

aspro_gti

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2012 K04 GTI
Answered a WTB post on 6speedonline. Received paypal goods/service payment and shipped item as always. Buyer filed a dispute stating part doesn't work but only shipped an individual part of the whole assembly back, not the complete unit I shipped out to him. I tried to fight and sent pictures of the item I sold, pictures of the box vs what the buyer sent back to me...PP doesn't care, as long as there's shipping label and that something or a box was returned to me (the seller). PP forced 100% refund plus $15 fee for process of disputing.
Rip... will know to look out for WTB posts from now on.