GOLFMKV

FSI Stage 2+ Vs. e46 M3

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
Jose where have you been mang?!?!?!?

Matt

The long gearing helps me a great deal against DSG cars.

When I had my GTI i would always lose ground to anything DSG equipped because of the time it took to shift.

In the M3 on a 3rd gear pull I have to car in third up until 8300 (With my tune) until I need 4th at about a 110mph.

Regardless I expect the k04 to give me a run for my money. If not take me. I just dont see it taking me top end. But, we will see.

For sure. TSI's with K04's do rip. But, it will be interesting.

Kwiksilver07

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
07 3dr reflex silver
Good runs, my buddy has an 02 with dianan tune and intake. Also a supersprint exhaust. Till about 100 we are dead even. After that it goes into rape mode and it's no contest. I'm sure his 100k + miles are keeping it somewhat even.

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door
In, for a well-crafted cool story and future vids.

3.sl06MT

Stout
Car(s)
Honda Accord
Good runs. Sounds about right, but you sure you started in 2nd at 20mph and got "a lot of wheel chirp?" If you were in 1st I could see that, but no way 2nd.

LOUCFUR

DIÄBLÖ
Car(s)
GTI MKV
Last yr I raced my friends e46 M3 with headers, exhaust, and tune. And my k04 with the 91 oct tune couldn't keep up with him. From 60-100. He had half a car on me. And after 100 he just pulled like nothing ...

Jtrem

Pro TeaBagger
Car(s)
'06 Gti
Good runs. Sounds about right, but you sure you started in 2nd at 20mph and got "a lot of wheel chirp?" If you were in 1st I could see that, but no way 2nd.
I can spin tires in 1st and 2nd. After that not so much. It's not like wheel spin like when I had the GTI. The GTI has a boat load of torque so its a lot easier to spin wheels. I still chirp regardless when going into 2nd from first at around 8200-8300rpm. or the same when going from 2nd into 3rd.

I don't have a lot of torque. As a honda guy you should know all about that. Well at least I have horsepower for my lack of torque lol

Good runs, my buddy has an 02 with dianan tune and intake. Also a supersprint exhaust. Till about 100 we are dead even. After that it goes into rape mode and it's no contest. I'm sure his 100k + miles are keeping it somewhat even.
Mileage usually doesn't hurt the S54 much. A guy did a baseline dyno at 50k and pulled similar numbers when he re-dyno'd years later at 110k. It's not prone to carbon build up like a lot of cars. As long as you keep all 6 throttle bodies clean and the valves within spec you are golden.

The Dinan is more of a marketing gimmick. Your friends car is probably slightly faster than a stock M3. So no surprise you were able to hang with him. I'm even surprised you didn't pull a little.

Last yr I raced my friends e46 M3 with headers, exhaust, and tune. And my k04 with the 91 oct tune couldn't keep up with him. From 60-100. He had half a car on me. And after 100 he just pulled like nothing ...

I would think for sure that you would have pulled or at least been even with him from a 60-100 pull. The M3 has no real torque. But torque doesnt mean as much when you are already moving.

I never really looked into it since I owned an FSI. But, from what everyone seems to be telling me is the TSI with a K04 is superior to an FSI with a K04.

Anyways, I was looking into what the tune is going to cost me and the CSL style Airbox. For about a grand and a half more I can get an entry level supercharger.

I didn't want to go F/I, but at the price point I think I just might. Depending on what price my friends shop can get me on the VF420 kit.

With that kit I should be able to put down 365-370whp. Compared to the 315-320 I could pull N/A with adding a better tune and airbox.

3.sl06MT

Stout
Car(s)
Honda Accord
^ I wasn't doubting you spinning on the 1-2 or 2-3 shift. My doubts lie where you claimed to have started in 2nd @ 20mph and spun, that's all. The E46 is a quick car even in stock form. I've beaten one by about 3 cars but he wasn't much of a driver (obviously) lol. My HP helps my lack of torque somewhat too ;)

Angel@forge

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
06 A3 sport
The shop tts will pull on my m3 but it runs a bit stronger than most ko4's. ko3's don't stand a chance.

I have an ess tune, headers, scorpion muffler, drop in pipercross filter and 4.10 gears. Little weight loss between the bbk, wheels, headers and muffler but not more than maybe 50-60 lbs total.

And fwiw, with the 265 conti dw I'm running I get next to no wheel spin. I can brake them loose in 1st but not easily from a roll and never in 2nd anymore. The tires and the diff rebuild did wonders for traction.

Jtrem

Pro TeaBagger
Car(s)
'06 Gti
I wouldnt mind running gears, but If I went F/I then I would want the stock 3.62 in. Or maybe 3.91.

Kwiksilver07

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
07 3dr reflex silver
Mileage usually doesn't hurt the S54 much. A guy did a baseline dyno at 50k and pulled similar numbers when he re-dyno'd years later at 110k. It's not prone to carbon build up like a lot of cars. As long as you keep all 6 throttle bodies clean and the valves within spec you are golden.

The Dinan is more of a marketing gimmick. Your friends car is probably slightly faster than a stock M3. So no surprise you were able to hang with him. I'm even surprised you didn't pull a little.

I would think for sure that you would have pulled or at least been even with him from a 60-100 pull. The M3 has no real torque. But torque doesnt mean as much when you are already moving. .

This was at s2. I'm currently 2+. I think I would have him by roughly a car at this point. At 115+ I'm absolutely fucked. M top ends are awesome. I miss mine. I guess the s50 doesn't take milage as well as a 54. When I ran my tired out e36 against my buddy's rebuilt motor, I got beat by about 2 cars.

Angel@forge

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
06 A3 sport
try and score a cheap diff that way you could swap back and sell it... you'd love it until if/when you do the blower. Car is a lot more responsive around town

I wouldnt mind running gears, but If I went F/I then I would want the stock 3.62 in. Or maybe 3.91.

Kwiksilver07

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
07 3dr reflex silver
Angel Who's 4.10 are you using on your M? My buddy bitchs and moans about the lack of grunt under normal city use. I've been telling him to get a new diff but he hasn't listened yet.