GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Front sway bar thread

GodSquadMandrake

Radioactive Rotary Rocket
Yeah it certainly seems that most people are at least running the stock FSB.

telaio

Ready to race!
I'm wondering why almost everyone seems to be against setting both front and rear (aftermarket) swaybars on "hard". Why do the manufacturers have a hard-setting on the FSB if it is never to be used?

GodSquadMandrake

You can use it. Might as well check it out if you have the option.

I'm wondering why almost everyone seems to be against setting both front and rear (aftermarket) swaybars on "hard". Why do the manufacturers have a hard-setting on the FSB if it is never to be used?

My sway bars are 24mm solid adjustable whitelines.

Initially I set the front on soft and the rear on medium.

When I got some bsh end links for the rear I set it to hard.

Both of these were improvements over stock, but when I set the front to hard I was kicking myself for waiting so long.

But I don't race - it's just an overkill daily driver.

.:Sent by pneumatic tubes

Angel@forge

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
06 A3 sport
It really depends on how the rest of the car is setup. It can help immensely with traction through and out of corners. If the car "floats" a little but ultimately takes a set and has more traction I'm happy with that trade off. On my largely stock suspension a3 it helped and I kept it off until I sold the car. Turn in was still good, the car had more front grip in most situations and could get the power down earlier and harder. If I was running r comps, with properly sorted suspension geometry wise and spring rate wise it likely wouldn't have been a benefit. But trying to make a compromised setup better with what you have on hand...this could help.

Right, depends on configuration and needs.

I am running koni fsd dampers and eibach pro kit springs. I feel like this configuration is an excellent mix of performance and comfort.

GodSquadMandrake

You just gotta watch out for a failure in the component between the seat and steering wheel. Sometimes the driver gets used to driving a certain way and is comfortable in that feeling and unwilling to make changes that make the car faster. That's fine, it's your car, but sometimes there are faster configurations. They just might be beyond your comfort zone, understanding or "butt dyno".

Angel@forge

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
06 A3 sport
You just gotta watch out for a failure in the component between the seat and steering wheel. Sometimes the driver gets used to driving a certain way and is comfortable in that feeling and unwilling to make changes that make the car faster. That's fine, it's your car, but sometimes there are faster configurations. They just might be beyond your comfort zone, understanding or "butt dyno".

Very true. Also, I feel like some experience improved turn in or a little less roll at street speeds well below the limit and pronounce the handling to be much better. Feel below the limit might be more to your liking but it doesn't mean the car is faster or more controllable once pushed a bit. If that made any sense...

GodSquadMandrake

Very true. Also, I feel like some experience improved turn in or a little less roll at street speeds well below the limit and pronounce the handling to be much better. Feel below the limit might be more to your liking but it doesn't mean the car is faster or more controllable once pushed a bit. If that made any sense...

It's just like making love...

It's like warm apple pie?

ViRtUaLheretic

╭∩╮(︶__︶&#6
Car(s)
2009 VW GTI
and had installed poly bushings on the rear control blades, which added quite a bit more rear grip.

This is one of the few times I have heard of somebody that has upgraded the rear control blades.
I have been debating getting the 034 spherical rear blade bushings for a while now but have been debating if the upgrade is worthwhile.
You might have just sold me on the idea, my wallet hates you for it! haha

I understand the 034 bushings are spherical and you had poly bushings, but how was the NVH from the upgrade? Any other downsides?

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Mk.V 2008

My sway bars are 24mm solid adjustable whitelines.

Initially I set the front on soft and the rear on medium.

When I got some bsh end links for the rear I set it to hard.

Both of these were improvements over stock, but when I set the front to hard I was kicking myself for waiting so long.

But I don't race - it's just an overkill daily driver.

I always recommended to try ALL settings. It doesn't cost you anything but some minutes.
At least I'd avoid lifting a rear wheel on a 4WD as traction loss on rear will cause the cental
diff to distribute more power to the fronts.

It really depends on how the rest of the car is setup. It can help immensely with traction through and out of corners. If the car "floats" a little but ultimately takes a set and has more traction I'm happy with that trade off. On my largely stock suspension a3 it helped and I kept it off until I sold the car. Turn in was still good, the car had more front grip in most situations and could get the power down earlier and harder. If I was running r comps, with properly sorted suspension geometry wise and spring rate wise it likely wouldn't have been a benefit. But trying to make a compromised setup better with what you have on hand...this could help.

True, but with R comps you'll most likely want to control body roll even more.

I understand the 034 bushings are spherical and you had poly bushings, but how was the NVH from the upgrade? Any other downsides?

Had polys on the trailing arms too (Whiteline black color). I didn't like them
as much as on front. There wasn't any similarly noticable improvement as
on front, but I felt small sharp bumps much more than expected. Curiously
it felt like a solid axle effect (heavy unsprung mass).

I'd strongly like to try spherical bearings on front before doing this on rear.
Possibly if you swap bushings on rear, you'd need to swap them all. Super
Pro sell the complete kit.

black805

Ready to race!
I have sphericals in the front and added the 034's in the rear and what happens when we add more rear grip? We lose it in the front. My understeer was increased quite a bit,the car was still fast but it was a handfull to drive. I guess camber plates are next for me.
I like sphericals on the street. My impression is nvh goes up a little but the car rides nicer due to some friction being removed front the suspension. Shocks can follow/absorb bumps and dips better. Seems you can install a poly bushing and articulate the lower control arm with the shock disconected and it may go up and down fairly easy but i cant imagine under load they dont bind a bit.

GodSquadMandrake

If you put poly in the rear, you just make the binding even worse. Nothing back there rotates on a single axis, everything has 3 dimensional movement. As the trailing arm goes up and down, it also moves side to side. It all moves in an arc. I mean you can do that if you want and it will be stiffer, just for the sake of being stiffer I guess.