GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

failed CA smog on BB cat downpipe

Mr. Marc

Ready to race!
I really didn't expect this for 40K, 2007 GTI Stage 2+ APR. It is running great, but CA failed smog today (its first smog test ever).

The smog tech asked if I had it chipped (yes - APR). He said those tuning specs can fry the cat converter. Maybe?

I am wondering if I should replace the Billy Boat downpipe cat converter. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.:mad0259:

07GTI-2.0T

Go Kart Champion
even if you passed smog you should have failed visual (obviously not CARB approved DP...none are) but its a given the BB cat won't pass emissions. Your almost guaranteed anything under 400 cell won't pass and the BB uses a 100 or 200 cell cat. Hell the 400 cell cats don't always pass and you being in California have an even greater chance of failing than everybody else (stricter standards).

The fool proof method would be to throw the stock DP on for inspection even if it means buying a used one for $100. Even if you can't do it yourself the expense to put the stock on and put the aftermarket back on after is about $160/year ($80 to put the stock back on and another $80 to put the BB on after inspection). Small price to pay (free if you do it yourself) for 364 more days of stage 2+ Powas. Otherwise throw on a California approved cat but I'm sure you'll take a power hit.

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door
I think GIACuser had a good catted emissions-friendly setup he was happy with. Might want to check out his posts for more info. Either that or do a search for a thread that talks about using a Cadillac cat on an aftermarket dp.

Taking a dp on and off annually sounds like a miserable pita to me. I'd much rather have a modular catted section that could be unbolted and replaced with a higher flow cat or test pipe after you pass with the better cat section.

.:R32D2

Big Brown Truck Driver
Car(s)
MKV R32
It would be a lot to quote there but pretty much what 07GTI-2.0T I agree with. Aftermarket DP's are illegal in California. That's the dilemma I was having when deciding what exhaust system to go with. It sucks but what 07GTI-2.0T said, seem to be your only choices.

RevoGLI

i <3 canada land
Car(s)
2006 GLI
even if you passed smog you should have failed visual (obviously not CARB approved DP...none are) but its a given the BB cat won't pass emissions. Your almost guaranteed anything under 400 cell won't pass and the BB uses a 100 or 200 cell cat. Hell the 400 cell cats don't always pass and you being in California have an even greater chance of failing than everybody else (stricter standards).

The fool proof method would be to throw the stock DP on for inspection even if it means buying a used one for $100. Even if you can't do it yourself the expense to put the stock on and put the aftermarket back on after is about $160/year ($80 to put the stock back on and another $80 to put the BB on after inspection). Small price to pay (free if you do it yourself) for 364 more days of stage 2+ Powas. Otherwise throw on a California approved cat but I'm sure you'll take a power hit.

^ this this this. you can fail smog just on visual even if your dp has a million cats.

its dumb but california thinks we're in the biggest polluters group, not the people with smog exemption stickers.

Mr. Marc

Ready to race!
Thanks for the thoughts.

Here are the details: Billy Boat 3” CNC mandrel bent T304 stainless steel tubing and incorporates a 100 cell high-flow metal catalyst.

Smog numbers at 25mph:
%CO2=14.4
%O2=0.8
HC(ppm) 39max;4avg = 35 measured (PASS)
CO(%) 0.48max;0.01avg = 0.08 measured (PASS)
NO(ppm) 724max;15avg = 766 measured (FAIL)

Ony

Ready to race!
I cant wait till i have to smog my car next year... a BT FORSURE wont pass huh

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Unless I missed something it doesn't sound like you failed on visual so go back with either stock downpipe/cat or install a real cat. Although I have not had to smog mine yet I put a Calif approved cat on my 3in downpipe (no error codes). I won't have to smog for another 14 months but in the meantime I won't be polluting and I will take my chances on a visual (some you win, some you lose). I have all of the stock stuff if I have to switch at the very worst.

42DD made this one up for me.

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door
I wonder if there is a gas additive that could drop the NO levels? That is the failure point.

Your 100 cell cat is your failure point, lol.

CharlieMKV

Go Kart Champion

its every 2 years, not every year. If you buy the car new, the first 4 years your set, then its 2 years from there on..but yeah, what you said it his only option or looking for the ultra exclusive smog shops :wink wink: