GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Engine strip and rebuild.

Dodsy

Hey everyone . My turbo has gone bit the garage has said my engine can be saved if I strip it down clean it and rebuild it.
Anyone know were I can get a good reference on how to do it? Step by step book or something.
(A mate of mime is gonna help me who is a mechanic I just want a book/site I'd like to read first)

Sent from my HUAWEI Y360-U31 using Tapatalk

eurocars

5/17/15 - Never forget
Car(s)
2006 GTI
Why do they say the engine would need rebuilt if the turbo went? Did the engine ingest any debris from the turbo or did the turbo itself just fail? are the compressor and turbine wheels on the turbo damaged?

Usually a turbo failure does not require an engine rebuild unless the turbo failure caused debris to enter the cylinders

Dodsy

this is what he wrote.

To remove turbo pipe work and find turbo impeller badly damaged. To remove inter cooler pipe work for safety. Turned engine over by hand and find free. Used booster pack to start car and find very smokey. Engine runs. To check and find inter cooler has oil in it, fine grey metal particles mixed in which would confirm turbo breakup has distributed metal dwarf through lubrication system.
Engine has grey colour metal particle mixed through which will have caused damage to engine bearings etc engine needs stripping and rebuilding to remove all debris from lubrication system to prevent premature failure to new turbo

Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated

flat tire

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Electric + 135i
I think you'll be able to get away without a rebuild, your mechanic is either misunderstanding or overstating the damage in this situation. All that oil in the intercooler will probably be from your PCV, maybe some from the turbo and it's no surprise the impeller had some damage. The exhaust will smoke from the turbo seals leaking oil into the turbine section. That oil is pressurized when the car runs so it's unlikely that stuff got into your lubrication system. Yes some metal might have gone in the intake from the impeller but it was also probably blown out your exhaust.

Dodsy

Any ideas on the intercooler? Can it be flushed ?
Thanks for the tips guys

Dodsy

I'll upload I've taken it off. Gonna start it next week. Hope it all works out fine

eurocars

5/17/15 - Never forget
Car(s)
2006 GTI
Something relevant to this thread that I was doing at work today:

Customer had a turbo failure at 1k miles. We asked them to replace the engine and it was returned to us for teardown. After teardown, we found that all pistons, bearings, rings, cylinders, heads etc were all in good condition. No debris was able to make it through the engine and cause serious damage to anything other than the air compressor and turbo. Application is a V8 turbo diesel with VGT. Pic of the turbo from this engine:

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Something relevant to this thread that I was doing at work today:

Customer had a turbo failure at 1k miles. We asked them to replace the engine and it was returned to us for teardown. After teardown, we found that all pistons, bearings, rings, cylinders, heads etc were all in good condition. No debris was able to make it through the engine and cause serious damage to anything other than the air compressor and turbo. Application is a V8 turbo diesel with VGT. Pic of the turbo from this engine:

I'm assuming a 6.7 cummins?