GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dogs

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Our dog has a crate that he goes in all the time on his own accord just to chill. Like if we're cooking dinner, he'll go relax in his crate. But if we're chilling on the couch, he'll come up and snuggle up to you. Which is the part monsters like @dtfd are missing out on.

The only time he gets "put" in his crate coincides with @dtfd's last question 🤣

mwoodski

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 Golf SW 4mo
my moms pup has a crate in the kitchen she just vibes in most of the day.

shes also the worlds worst thief bc she'll take something then just immediately go into her crate with it.

like, bro. you've cornered YOURSELF.

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
We used the crate to train him (made the crate a happy place, where he got all his dinners, where he slept, etc) but there was never a plan to keep that permanent. As soon as I could trust him to not poop and pee all over the house I bought him a bigger dog bed. He started using that and eventually I took the crate down as he got comfortable without it. I don't want a dog jail sitting around my house that the prisoner is trained to enjoy. He has 3 beds across the house now and he's not shy about asking for attention when he wants some attention, though his idea of attention is playing tug of war or standing by the door staring at me until I take him for a walk.

Also guys I feel like we are losing the plot a bit here. They ARE dogs. Growing up we had a German Shepard that didn't even sleep inside the house, and we had to sneak her in when my mom/grandma weren't paying attention. My mom was shocked when I told her I was getting a dog while living in a condo. "And the dog will sleep inside?!"

Salami

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5R
I just realized pretty much every photo on this page (other than mine and one other) has the dog sitting on the couch.

I trained my dog to never go on the couch or into the master bedroom. Has anyone else done this or am I alone in this?
Our first two dogs were trained to stay off the beds and couches. The older one passed away unexpected and my youngest girl pushed real hard for a puppy.

We wound up adopting a few months later. His crate was in the living room but he wound up whining all night long like a little bitch. So we put his crate in her room. He kept her up for a week or so and eventually settled down. Turned out because she was letting him sleep on her bed.

Unfortunately the dogs now think it is okay to be on the bed when I'm not around. Second I walk in or they hear me they jump off though. Luckily not much hair comes from them but I still don't like it.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
I have two labs. They sleep wherever, whenever, so lab hair is everywhere in my house. Only two places they aren't allowed are the master bed and the couches.

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
More pics, less debates.
Hear! Hear!

This week is the last week some beaches in Maine still allow dogs, most have already have stopped allowing dogs. We took him to the beach over the weekend since he wouldn't be able to go again until October.

image000002.jpg

image000001.jpg

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Tell me your dog isn't a member of your family without telling me your dog isn't a member of your family. Would you stop your gf from going on the couch?

Tf is the point of a dog if they're not allowed to snuggle with you?

agreed lol who gives a fuck. I was literally unconscious sleeping and my dog got up on the bed and snuggled with me like this. The ms took this. How can you not let your dog in bed with you. It’s like having a little kid (dogs are the equivalent of a ~3 year old toddler) who had a bad dream - are they not allowed in bed with you bc you don’t want them to pee the bed?

Attachments

• 3293BDDC-A7CE-4A22-80F0-97D544FA3D8E.jpeg
    3293BDDC-A7CE-4A22-80F0-97D544FA3D8E.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 53

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
I crated our current dog and kept her off the couch for the first two and a half years, but then we had a three month preemie who needed feedings every three hours and that caused all dog issues to go out the window in a hurry. I don't think I'd bother with the next one, she doesn't hurt anything by being on the couch/bed and honestly seems happier being in our space than having her own. Could be wrong, could be doing a huge disservice to her, but she seems fine.

You think that allowing your dog to be on furniture “could be doing a huge disservice to her.” ??? How? In what way is it a disservice to the animal. The only reasons for keeping a dog off furniture is materialistic obsession with physical items and the unending pursuit of keeping them in pristine condition.

Life is about experiences, connection, family, love. Not about keeping your couch in perfect condition.

It’s clearly a matter of materialism.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
I challenge all of you “no dog on couch/bed” people to eat some mushrooms in the woods with your friends and think about the meaning of life. Because you materialists are missing the point.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
I just realized pretty much every photo on this page (other than mine and one other) has the dog sitting on the couch.

I trained my dog to never go on the couch or into the master bedroom. Has anyone else done this or am I alone in this?
Just you. And you're a monster

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
You think that allowing your dog to be on furniture “could be doing a huge disservice to her.” ??? How? In what way is it a disservice to the animal. The only reasons for keeping a dog off furniture is materialistic obsession with physical items and the unending pursuit of keeping them in pristine condition.

Life is about experiences, connection, family, love. Not about keeping your couch in perfect condition.

It’s clearly a matter of materialism.
Huh? I meant a disservice to her in terms of some arbitrary obedience that she's missing out on by being allowed on the couch. She's currently there while I'm sitting at the table behind her. She wins this round. I'm okay with that. I own a vacuum, I can clean a couch. I honestly don't think the bed or couch are any less hair covered than when I didn't let her on those things, her hair is only loosely attached to her and attracted to all surfaces equally.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
OH NO HE'S ON THE COUCH THE WORLD IS FALLING APART

PXL_20230608_152654718.PORTRAIT.jpg

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Huh? I meant a disservice to her in terms of some arbitrary obedience that she's missing out on by being allowed on the couch. She's currently there while I'm sitting at the table behind her. She wins this round. I'm okay with that. I own a vacuum, I can clean a couch. I honestly don't think the bed or couch are any less hair covered than when I didn't let her on those things, her hair is only loosely attached to her and attracted to all surfaces equally.

Sorry if it seemed like I was coming at you - it was purely in response to that quote lol.