GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DmfRacer daily driver and track car log - let's have some fun

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
There is something to be said about having the right tool for the job. As I collect more and more specialty tools its less about being creative and more about thinking which would make the job the easiest.

There is light at the end of the tunnel.

dmfracer

Ready to race!
Aaaand now I'm having back spasms. This car might meet and untimely demise in a tragic garage fire and be replaced by one of those sweet least deal Alfa Rome Giulias.

I did get the accessory belt tensioner off and almost have the alternator. Can't Ben Dover for very long or my back in going to lock up and I won't be able to work on the car for a couple days.

Self medication with some Rolling Rock and time in the pool and spa are helping.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
I used to think the same thing when I first started working on these cars. But after a while, I can honestly say they are actually really easy to work on. I can have my entire front end off in about 25-30min including rad/IC assembly. Once you have that off its not bad working on the engine. I'm assuming you don't have an engine hoist, I've found it much faster to just pull the motor if you're going to do some serious work, which it sounds like you are. Sorry to hear about your back, I've definitely been there and done that, lots of ibuprofen!!

Did you have a cam follower failure and what revision intake cam do you have? If you have a revision A and are still under 100k miles I would just take it to the dealership and have them warranty the intake cam and HPFP on their dime. They have a 100k warranty from VW on that.

Edit: As for image hosting I use this site https://postimage.io.
They have free unlimited image hosting but it doesn't use a profile so you can't go back and pull up pictures you've uploaded. No expiration and limit on hosted images, has worked great for me!

dmfracer

Ready to race!
Car has 140k miles. Warranty is just a wet dream. Cam lobe is worn. Follower has a hole in it. Pump is fubard.

Got the cam chain cover off. Had to buy another set of torx and triple square to get the sizes and shapes of wrenches to get that stupid cover off.

Tomorrow, I should get the cams swapped, timing belt did and start reassembling.

Happy 4th of July!

dmfracer

Ready to race!
Happy Fourth of July! I've got the cam chain cover off. Going to get the intake cam removed here in a few mins. Then clean all the intake valves while the cam is out as all the valves will be closed at the same time.

Then reassembly can start. Might get the car back together tomorrow night.

dmfracer

Ready to race!
Success

I finally got my car put back together after finding a worn through high pressure fuel pump follower. Which ruined the cam.

The only hiccup in the whole thing was putting the timing belt on one tooth off. This happened for a typically German reason which I will show you in a minute.

To recap - new high pressure fuel pump, new intake cam, new timing belt, new timing belt tensioner, timing belt rollers, metal impeller water pump, new accessory belt tensioner and belt, new spark plugs.

Now you are probably thinking DMFRacer is an idiot and moron - how could he possibly screw up the timing belt install. Doesn't the cam and and the crank have top dead center markings - you just line them up and pull the old belt off and put the new one on.

WRONG!

It typical dumbkopf German fashion the Krauts that designed this system put the top dead center marks on the crank PULLEY and the lower timing belt COVER. Both of these things have to be removed to get to the timing belt.

So, when you are trying to reinstall the timing belt there is no way to know where the crank is in relation to the exhaust cam. Give me an AMEN if you've been here before!

Yes, you can mark the crank gear and the block, but the problem is that still leaves just enough room for error to get the timing belt one tooth off.

When this happens you are likely to get a check engine light and code P0016 which means that the engine speed sensor and the cam position sensor have an argument. If you are only off a tooth it won't hurt anything, but it will throw a code and the engine will be way down on power as the ECU basically goes into limp mode.

Attachments

• crank pulley tdc marking.JPG
    crank pulley tdc marking.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 339
  • cam tdc marking.JPG
    cam tdc marking.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 363
  • p0016.JPG
    p0016.JPG
    27.9 KB · Views: 439