GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY - NewSouth Performance Boost Gauge w/Indigo Gauge

slanky

Ready to race!
I installed mine today. I noticed the rubbery gasket on the firewall had nipples so I sliced one of them off instead of poking any holes - seems to have worked well. I didn't remove any interior panels except the fuse cover - I just patiently slid the wire from behind the steering wheel into the light switch section. putting red on Grey (solid grey, not the striped one!) and black on some bolt inside the fuse panel worked fine - it dims and everything just fine and matches the brightness of the other gauges pretty well.

The gauge reads 20 in/hg at idle, but only shows a max of 14 PSI and never drops the whole time while WOT including through shifts, and I have stage 1. I think my gauge is faulty. It came shipped with the bronze right angle fitting pre installed, so I did not over tighten it or anything. I used an NS boost tap and it worked alright, it seems somewhat flimsy. I am thinking about replacing my OEM hose and modifying the cap on the manifold from my BSH Stage II PCV kit. would that work alright?

The very tip of the needle is a little dimmer than the rest of the needle and can make the gauge hard to read when really dark, but it's not a deal breaker - not as much as the "Turbo" and "New South" written on it - I would hav reallly liked it to be cleaner with less BS writing all over the place.

If they can replace my faulty gauge with a good one, I'm all set and give this an A+ Install really wasn't that hard, the heat sure didn't help.

bayside blue

wild child
Car(s)
08 gti
so i was looking around today nad the closes hose i could find was this one

will that work for the t fitting?

racingfreak

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
'08 Mk5 GTI RS
so i was looking around today nad the closes hose i could find was this one

will that work for the t fitting?

Do yourself a favour and go for a PROPER boost tap, I've got the BSH boost tap and it works like a dream. Just unplug the hose from your pcv, attach tap to manifold inlet and re-attach hose over boost tap. The tap also allows you to add another fitting requiring boost eg w/m etc etc at a later stage and its fully compatible with bsh pcv fix if you choose to do it at a later stage

bayside blue

wild child
Car(s)
08 gti
Do yourself a favour and go for a PROPER boost tap, I've got the BSH boost tap and it works like a dream. Just unplug the hose from your pcv, attach tap to manifold inlet and re-attach hose over boost tap. The tap also allows you to add another fitting requiring boost eg w/m etc etc at a later stage and its fully compatible with bsh pcv fix if you choose to do it at a later stage

i plan on it. i was just figuring since it says it has everything to install it i was wondering where i c an actually do it

bayside blue

wild child
Car(s)
08 gti
so i had the forge boost tap on my car and was reading about 15psi max and tapering off to 5psi by redline(3rd gear) i now have the ecs boost tap and im reading a max of about 13-14psi(but getting there faster) and tapering down to 10psi

heres my forge boost tap(iphone so the quality is kinda bad)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqBnE4Rdoq4

and heres the ecs boost tap
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMWyw5HPePo

both are 3rd gear pulls and my installed mods are revo stg 1, p-flow, resonator delete, forge dv spacer.

shouldnt i be hitting more then 15psi?

cwhite09GTI

Daily Racer
I did this today and got those 2 warning lights...the steering one and the traction control...i read here that it will reset and go away...

how long does that take to reset? and does the car have to be running to reset?? thanks.

overall, the install went smooth, these instructions were clutch... not 100% thrilled with the quality of the kit but close to it. i bought mine used but never used for $65...cant go wrong for that...

cwhite09GTI

Daily Racer
check that...the two warning lights already went away...they turned off after i backed out of my garage and down the driveway a little bit...so far so good...unfortunately I dont have a tap yet so i dont know how its running yet, but the light dims and turns on like it should....

it rubs a little making the pod itself move a little...adjusting the steering wheel makes this go away but I like the way my steering wheel normally is...now i have to pull it out a little to fit the pod which is ok...but the height thing is big for me...i need it all the way up...so i'm thinking a little double sided tape in between the two...the column and pod...will stop the movement...

ncgti

A few comments,

1. We also have a "PROPER" boost tap for a TSI. Our boost tap is a duplicate of the hose on the top of the engine, right down to the exact clips that VW uses. It has two taps integrated into the hose, one with our exclusive NoBuzz fitting. No hose distortion, no set screws to come loose or gouge the intake manifold and it looks stock.

2. FYI - our NewSouth ColumnPod is not a "snap-in" piece - even though it appears that it might be.

To hold the pod in place (and stop it from rubbing), you need to stick it down with some double-sided foam tape. Put the tape on the sides of the pod, not the front.

PJ81

power hungry
can anyone give me feedback on this?
for reference - i have an '08.5 GTI with the CBFA motor.

i was told that in vacuum, the gauge should be pointing to 20. if there's any less or more, there might be a leak or pinched hose somewhere.

well, when i first installed it, the needle pointed pretty much at 20, but now it's pointing at 21 when the engine is idling. is that a significant enough change to go looking for boost leaks? maybe the nylon tubing is pinched somewhere?

05kodiak

USAF
Where is everyone taping into battery power? I have the center triple pod and I am unsure where to get power for all 3 gauges. I know for the single steering pod you can use the headlight power, but is that ok for running all 3 gauges? Thanks

vwinva

Ready to race!
can anyone give me feedback on this?
for reference - i have an '08.5 GTI with the CBFA motor.

i was told that in vacuum, the gauge should be pointing to 20. if there's any less or more, there might be a leak or pinched hose somewhere.

well, when i first installed it, the needle pointed pretty much at 20, but now it's pointing at 21 when the engine is idling. is that a significant enough change to go looking for boost leaks? maybe the nylon tubing is pinched somewhere?

Your perfectly fine.

cwhite09GTI

Daily Racer
I just finished installing my NS boost gauge with BSH tap...my gauge is working and everything seems to be ok...my questions is....

Why is my gauge reading 22hg at idle? It was my understanding that it should read 20hg...any thoughts?

I've looked for leaks but i think a leak would like it like 15 instead of 20 (less of a vacuum)....

thanks.