GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY Haldex Filter / Fluid Change

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
Car(s)
MKVI Golf TDI 6MT
Powerdubs has a MKIV; so it is using a Gen I Haldex not a Gen II. There are many changes between them.

Not saying it isn't an issue per se... but I haven't had one problem with mine yet... :thumbsup:

Stylist07

Banned
Car(s)
MKV R32 DBP #1238
thanks Saab, have u every checked urs???? I have not yet but I will once I get to 40k ;-)

I believe they use the same pump and pump filter right?????

I might be mistaken on who's car it was but the pump and filter is pretty easy to get to once the fluid has been drained, only two screws holding down the pump and the filter screen lies in between.

Just a FYI, and if u have allot of mile on a haldex system, u might want to check it just in case, I think all filters should be checked every once in awhile.

Stylist07

Banned
Car(s)
MKV R32 DBP #1238
Yeah I know, BUT if u do use the CORRECT hex tool and THAT rounds off the bolt, then what are u left with, this happen 8 out of 10 times??????????

Well u have 2 choices.........

A. - U can use the TORX bit to get a hold of it and to get it off.

B. - Or u can use a pair of of small vise gripps to get a hold of the bolt lip and get it off that way too.

So bottom line, use the HEX bit and when that strips the bolt then go to option A-B...lol

PS. I replace my bolt every fluid change

RHCP4LIFE

Ready to race!
Car(s)
.:R32
I order replacement plugs for read diff and haldex just in case.

Stylist07

Banned
Car(s)
MKV R32 DBP #1238
Good job man, u will need them.........lol

If any of the bolts get stripped using the HEX and TORX, don't worry, just use a small pair of vise grips and it will come off that way........ ;-)

ikey3125

Ready to race!
Good job man, u will need them.........lol

If any of the bolts get stripped using the HEX and TORX, don't worry, just use a small pair of vise grips and it will come off that way........ ;-)

main reason I bought new ones from VW...just in case, better to have them and not need them then not and need one and have to have it special ordered and take a week

RHCP4LIFE

Ready to race!
Car(s)
main reason I bought new ones from VW...just in case, better to have them and not need them then not and need one and have to have it special ordered and take a week

Yeah at first i searched Haldex plug and it was close to $7 for plug and washer.
But if you use the OEM part number its only like $2.??

They said it would take 3 days to get them but it saved me about $15

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
Car(s)
MKVI Golf TDI 6MT
the filter wrench is for the MKIV; our's just takes a socket and a couple universal joints to get to it :p

ikey3125

Ready to race!
I got a 24mm oil filter wrench from a napa or something similar, wanna say its for a chevy or ford...either way, then ground down the outside of it until it fit into the Haldex filter cap. And was able to do it with the socket and ratchet, no extensions or universals

RHCP4LIFE

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Thanks

Just checking. I got my filter cap and it is 24mm. Ended up getting a 15/16" (23.8125mm) stubby socket it fit the cap well. I was debating on buying the 24mm but I wanted to make sure I had enough room. I will probably be doing this some time next week along with the rear diff, brakes and engine oil!!! :D

Stylist07

Banned
Car(s)
MKV R32 DBP #1238
Nice man, I would do it all at the same time too since u are already down there...lol

Good luck with it, it sounds like u got all the right parts, knock it out bra !!!!!!!!

tomA3

Wow def just saved me 245$ for my Audi A3. I've had the fluid and filter for the longest time and was just going to take it to the dealer because it seemed like a hassle. Thanks man