GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY Haldex Filter / Fluid Change

Stylist07

Banned
Car(s)
MKV R32 DBP #1238
This is my first DIY and i thought i would share it with yall. Enjoy

Im at 25K miles on my R32 and decided to change my Haldex Filter / Fluid now instead at 40K.
Its allot easier than i thought is was going to be and i have been putting it off for a while now but now it finally done.

Parts List

24mm Socket / Ratchet
8mm HEX Socket / Ratchet
Really small Wrench for clamp on hose
30 Torx Bit / Extension / Ratchet or u can use a 5mm Allen Key / Up to u
IMG_0786.jpg

Haldex Fluid / Gallon Pump filler / 1/4" Brass Pipe and Clear Tube
IMG_0780.jpg
IMG_0781.jpg

New Haldex Filter / 24mm Seal
IMG_0771.jpg

Ok Now that u have all ur parts and tools now u can get to work......

The First thing i did was change out the OLD filter with the NEW one. Here is a pic of how u get the old filter out with the socket / ratchet. After u get the it out then put in the new Filter and Seal. Pay attenion to how the filter comes out and how u put it back in. Don put in backwards or lose the spring.
IMG_0773.jpg

Now u can take the Old Filler Plug out with the 30 torx bit / Ratchet. Here is a pic of the filler plug coming out. Leave this plug out while u drain the fluid out in the next step. The NEW plug will go in later.
IMG_0774.jpg

Next u can start taking out the Drain Plug and dont for get to use a Bowl or pan to catch the fluid. I did not get a New Plug for the drain hole cuz i for got but it will be ok if u dont have one. Just put the old one back in after All the old fluid is out. Here is a pic of the Old Plug Before / after i took it out of the Drain hole.
IMG_0778.jpg

Once All the Old fluid is out then u can put the New/Old Drain plug back in so u can start to fill it with the New Fluid. Here is a pic of the OLD nasty Fluid that was in my haldex. Man this stuff was Black and dirty. Im so glad i decided to change it today. I got about 3/4 of a litter or 750ml from draining
IMG_0788.jpg

First screw the 1/4" pipe in the filler hole, just enough so it wont leak back out while pumping. Then take the holes with the clamp on it and push the clear hose onto the brass pipe. Once u get the hose on tight, then push the clamp on so that u can tighten it all up so u wont have any leaks while pumping. here a pic of that......
IMG_0785.jpg

Now that the filler hole is tight and leak free, start to put on the gallon pump on the Haldex Fluid bottle. Start pumping away and it should fill rather fast and i put about 900ml in and let the rest leak back out while i put the NEW filler plug back on. When all the fiuid is in there take the Clear hose off the Brass pipe, dont for get to losen the clamp. take the brass out after the hose and then put in the New Filler Plug. Try not to let all the fluid fall out but just enough so that u have at Least 750ml. in the Haldex. Quick pic
IMG_0784.jpg

NOW UR DONE!!!!!!!!!!:happyanim:

U just saved ur self $200 or more.:clap:

Last edited:

White Lotus

My friends call me Chad
Car(s)
2008 Candy White R32
Kudos for an awesome DIY and it's something I will definately be referring to.... (at 40k miles) hehe

I'm being serious though, great DIY. :thumbsup:

Stylist07

Banned
Car(s)
MKV R32 DBP #1238
Kudos for an awesome DIY and it's something I will definately be referring to.... (at 40k miles) hehe

I'm being serious though, great DIY. :thumbsup:

Thanks Lotus:biggrin:

This was my 1st DIY and thought i would make it a Keeper.LOL

Nice write-up man :thumbsup:

Thanks Saab:biggrin:

I love the weather in Dallas at this time makes me want to work on my car right after work. Enjoy

bazzle

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MY08 R32 Silver 3dr
Well done..;)

Should be 750ml NOT 7500ml ...

quote: "Try not to let all the fluid fall out but just enough so that u have at Least 7500ml. in the Haldex. Quick pic"

Bazzle

-jakrbt-

.:R32 OG
Nice write-up, man. May have to let you do mine! J/K.

I do have a question, though. On that 1/4" brass pipe, what thread is that? Just normal pipe thread?

Stylist07

Banned
Car(s)
MKV R32 DBP #1238
Nice write-up, man. May have to let you do mine! J/K.

I do have a question, though. On that 1/4" brass pipe, what thread is that? Just normal pipe thread?

Yep i believe its just 1/4" x 1" brass pipe thread from homodepot.

found it in the plumbing department

Nice handy diy mate

Thanks Mate:thumbsup:

Well done..;)

Should be 750ml NOT 7500ml ...

quote: "Try not to let all the fluid fall out but just enough so that u have at Least 7500ml. in the Haldex. Quick pic"

Bazzle

Ooops typo....LOL

Thanks

like everyone said awesome write-up. How come you decided to do it @25k? Was it driving funny ?

Not driving funny at all just wanted to do it at 20K intervals. I thinks that is better than 40K. IMO

Plus look at the color of what came out

IMG_0787.jpg

-jakrbt-

I'm gonna have to look into this. I just turned over 40k so it's time to get all the services done and I need to save as much $$$ as I can. Already gotta get the oil change done, as well as replace front brakes, lines, and fluid. I'll let the dealership do the DSG service w/ my mech recall. Need to see if they have parts in stock and schedule an appointment I suppose. Then I'll let a local dub mechanic do the other stuff.

Stylist07

Banned
Car(s)
MKV R32 DBP #1238
I do all my services myself to save allot of $$$$$$

Oil change every 5K, DSG every 20K, Haldex every 20K, Brake flush yearly, ect.........

If u need help with ur car and parts to service the R32 LMK, I will help u as much as i can JAK......

-jakrbt-

I do all my services myself to save allot of $$$$$$

Oil change every 5K, DSG every 20K, Haldex every 20K, Brake flush yearly, ect.........

If u need help with ur car and parts to service the R32 LMK, I will help u as much as i can JAK......

You did the DSG service yourself?

Stylist07

Banned
Car(s)
MKV R32 DBP #1238
well I bought everything i needed for this DSG service but i needed my mechatronic replaced so i just let the dealership take the hit.

this was done at 20K and ill do my own DSG service at 40K.

It purdy simple no harder than the other services on this car LOL

I would love to have a VAGCOM cuz that would be sweet..........

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
Car(s)
MKVI Golf TDI 6MT
You know you pretty much can't do a DSG service (at least not correctly) without VCDS right...?