GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ditched the GTI

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
I've been talking about getting rid of the GTI for a long time now, basically since I moved to Colorado. I love my GTI but even with a hitch mounted bike rack, snow tires, and space bubble on the roof racks for carrying ski gear and stuff it just wasn't practical for my lifestyle since moving to the mountains.

When I was working at VW I always kept on eye on traded in trucks and SUVs that would fit my needs but they were always high milage, beat up, or overpriced (even at employee pricing, there was a reason they literally couldn't sell cars). When I switched and moved to Audi the cars people trade in are a night and day difference from what Volkswagen would get. I've found 4-5 vehicles I was interested in within my first couple weeks there. after driving a few vehicles and taking a couple home overnight a couple times I finally pulled the trigger on something new (to me).

We have a policy that used cars will not be in our inventory for over 60 days. It starts counting down from the day its listed for sale, on day 61 it gets sent to auction. I got lucky and finally got around to talking management about a 4Runner on day 58. Because it was so close to getting sent to auction it was priced literally $500 below the cost of what they had into it (trade in + inspection/maintenance + detail costs). I don't know if they realize it but the computer system at work for some reason has given me access to the cost into every used car. My wife and I drove it and a 2014 GMC Terrain Denali V6 AWD loaded with under 4K miles on it. I always wanted a Terrain, I love how they look.... but then I drove one. The next day I took the Toyota home overnight. I got to a chance to drive it up a mountain road, in the dark, in the rain and verified that it will infact fit in my garage and I can open the doors. The next day was day 60 of being in inventory. It was now or never for them, make a deal or auction it and sell it real cheap. I told them my wife has a hard time paying that much money for a vehicle with a cracked mirror housing and some minor bumper damage so the they brought the price down another $1000 as they aren't aloud to keep it as dealer owned vehicle long enough for it to go to the body shop to get fixed.

So....

2011 Toyota 4Runner Limited V6 4WD Automatic, Silver exterior, black interior, smart key (Kessey - leave the key in your pocket, doors unlock when you touch the handle and it's push button start, door lock when you touch the outside of the handle before walking away), heated full power leather seats, navigation, voice recognition, bluetooth phone, bluetooth streaming audio, one touch up and down windows, dual zone climate control, 2" hitch, 5,000 lb tow rating, 4 and 7 pin trailer wiring, trailer brake, steering wheel controls, sunroof, homelink garage door buttons, 20" alloy wheels, 15 speaker JBL system, running boards, heated mirrors, roof rack cross bars, auto dimming rear view mirror, 6 disc changer, Aux jack, USB jack, Ipod jack, backup camera, 4 wheel disc, front and rear 12v and 120v power outlets, X-reas sport suspension, side curtain airbags, knee airbags, front airbags, side airbags, 29,000 miles. They even have the original window sticker (for over $43,000).

I bought it and traded in the GTI yesterday. I got to take both home last night so I could take the bike rack, space bubble, and roof racks off as well as clean out the car, delete all my info out of the GPS ect. I'm going to come in on Saturday and put it back to mostly stock (I'm going to leave the intercooler, tow hitch, wheels/tires, and interior LEDs. I'm going to take off the Unitronic downpipe, jetted J 02 spacer, intake, throttle body pipe, turbo outlet pipe, R8 coils, I already too off the coilovers).

Test drive home overnight

New vs same age but new to me

There are 3 things I will miss... the power to weight ratio, the by xenon HID's with AFS, and oddly enough the 3 blinks from the turn signals when partially depressing the lever.

I'm pretty excited, time to look for a 4 bike hitch mount, Weathertech floor mats, and mud flaps.

Last edited:

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Congrats on the move!

Seeing posts like this scare me, though. I hope I don't get so sensible that I give up having a fun car altogether. Although cars are pretty much my priority, and it sounds like yours are outdoor sports.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
I drove a 4runner for a while - same make and model - same color too! but yours has lots of nice extra trim level features. Loved it all except for the squishy signature Toyota-steering wheel. For some reason the feel and shape and size never agrees with me. I've also had a Toyota Camry and a Corolla available to me over the years and can never love the steering wheel. Other than that - 4runners are awesome!

Bozz

Go Kart Champion
I have a Golf / SUV combo, and I find that combo very very handy. Congrats on the 4Runner, now you and mk6medic can trade love notes.

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
Congrats on the move!

Seeing posts like this scare me, though. I hope I don't get so sensible that I give up having a fun car altogether. Although cars are pretty much my priority, and it sounds like yours are outdoor sports.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk

Yes, playing in the mountains is definitely highest priority :)

I drove a 4runner for a while - same make and model - same color too! but yours has lots of nice extra trim level features. Loved it all except for the squishy signature Toyota-steering wheel. For some reason the feel and shape and size never agrees with me. I've also had a Toyota Camry and a Corolla available to me over the years and can never love the steering wheel. Other than that - 4runners are awesome!

I don't mind the steering wheel, I like that it's thick (thats what she said)

Congrats. In the long run the cost of ownership will be better with Toyota in regards to reliability, fuel, maintenance...

Yeah my GTI has problem free, it's been a good car. But seeing as its still on the original water pump after 50K miles every time were out in the mountains I would wonder if this was going to be the trip where it finally goes.

I have a Golf / SUV combo, and I find that combo very very handy. Congrats on the 4Runner, now you and mk6medic can trade love notes.

We decided to keep the Jetta over keeping the GTI. It's a 2.5 with the 6 speed auto, it will damn near last forever. They just flat out don't have problems. The 2.5 is arguably the most durable engine VW has ever put out, and the 6 speed auto had valve body issues in the past but it's been straightened out and they updated the fluid. I trust the Jetta to last 10+ more years infinitely more than the GTI.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
looks like a very nice vehicle dude :w00t:

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
First "mod" came today.

My old boss runs a mountain bike race team. Through him I got access to a "pro deal" discount through Thule. I got a HUGE discount and picked up a Thule T2 916XTR and a Thule T2 918XTR 2 bike add on, and matched locks for all of it.

This huge ass truck just barely squeezes into the garage with the rack on.

Bozz

Go Kart Champion
You will like having that ground clearance when you go up into the mountains. Does that thing have a low range transfer case?

By March there are potholes at some of the ski area lots that will swallow the whole corner of a Mk6.

KOA789

Go Kart Champion
Great choice, and sounds like you got a great deal on it. My old man tried to get me to get a 4Runner when I got rid of my Mustang, but I opted for a Grand Cherokee Diesel. All he's ever owned have been Toyotas and all have been pretty problem free. Enjoy it.

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
You will like having that ground clearance when you go up into the mountains. Does that thing have a low range transfer case?

By March there are potholes at some of the ski area lots that will swallow the whole corner of a Mk6.

It's full time 4WD. There's 3 modes, 4 wheel high, 4 wheel high with a locked center diff, and 4 wheel low.

Today 3 of us took it on a 200 mile round trip day trip up to the Curt Gowdy State Park in Wyoming for mountain biking. It's recognized as an IMBA (International Mountain Bike Association) Epic ride. It was awesome. The truck was great, the nav worked great, mid ride we got hammered by a storm, temps dropped to low 50's, it started pouring, and the wind went fuckin' crazy. It really made me appreciate the leather seats for easy clean up. I handled the 15 minutes of muddy rutted up dirt roads on the way out with no problem either. The 17 mpg average from the first tank in this thing kinda sucks but it comes with the territory.

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion
Nice truck! I came close to pulling the trigger on a tacoma earlier this year. The 4runner is one of the last seriously capable SUVs out there.