GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CSB: Vu - Local Forum n00b Questions Forum Unwritten Rules - New Pope Being Elected

Status
Not open for further replies.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk6
Maybe I’m just getting old but I don’t like dark tint anymore. Or maybe bc I see so many ghetto cars with blacked out windows.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Maybe I’m just getting old but I don’t like dark tint anymore. Or maybe bc I see so many ghetto cars with blacked out windows.
I think it'll end up being 25%. It looks like with the tint they use it goes 15%, 25%, 30%, 35%...

mwoodski

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 Golf SW 4mo
35% is perfect imo

KollinWithaK

Autocross Champion
Kollin! I need an apr catback for my rs3. It's not out yet, but if you hear any inside info let me know. I think I'll order one as soon as it's available.

Dude I didn't even see that you got one! Where are the pics at?

Once I hear/see something I'll let you know.

We just had an 8V RS3 in today for a tune ironically.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Dude I didn't even see that you got one! Where are the pics at?

Once I hear/see something I'll let you know.

We just had an 8V RS3 in today for a tune ironically.
Had to fly up to NJ wednesday morning to pick it up and I was back home in FL with the car by 10:30pm on thursday. Got the exact spec I wanted though.

1677529697195.png

1677529799585.png

1677529815778.png

cb1111

I think it'll end up being 25%. It looks like with the tint they use it goes 15%, 25%, 30%, 35%...
since you have a few days, do this:

Most sunglasses have 60-80% tint (measured the exact opposite of car tint - to 80% sunglass tint is equivalent to 20% car tint - except - car windows already have tint (probably at 85%), so if you add 25% tint you're really at about 21%, but I digress.

Take your sunglasses and wear them all the time when driving - at night, on dark roads, in parking garages, in the rain etc. Back up your car, go around corners, parallel park and what not - You CANNOT take your glasses off.

If you're comfortable parking your car in a parking garage at night with the sunglasses on, then get the 25% tint. If you have to cheat and take your glasses off to comfortably park, then you need lighter tint.

BTW - ceramic tint at 60 or 70% has greater heat rejection that most "limo" tint.

Another BTW - I recently got a report of a law enforcement employee who was pulled over for "dark tint", then arrested for driving with a suspended license. Illegal tint is a legit reason to get pulled over and you might want to consider any other implication that might arise from a traffic stop. The law enforcement guy, of course, no longer has a job.

That said, for Florida, this appears to be the current law. Remember that this is total VLT - so the tint already in the glass plus the added tint.

1677530556514.png

mwoodski

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 Golf SW 4mo

Most sunglasses have 60-80% tint (measured the exact opposite of car tint - to 80% sunglass tint is equivalent to 20% car tint - except - car windows already have tint (probably at 85%), so if you add 25% tint you're really at about 21%, but I digress.

Take your sunglasses and wear them all the time when driving - at night, on dark roads, in parking garages, in the rain etc. Back up your car, go around corners, parallel park and what not - You CANNOT take your glasses off.

If you're comfortable parking your car in a parking garage at night with the sunglasses on, then get the 25% tint. If you have to cheat and take your glasses off to comfortably park, then you need lighter tint.

BTW - ceramic tint at 60 or 70% has greater heat rejection that most "limo" tint.

Another BTW - I recently got a report of a law enforcement employee who was pulled over for "dark tint", then arrested for driving with a suspended license. Illegal tint is a legit reason to get pulled over and you might want to consider any other implication that might arise from a traffic stop. The law enforcement guy, of course, no longer has a job.

That said, for Florida, this appears to be the current law. Remember that this is total VLT - so the tint already in the glass plus the added tint.

View attachment 274396
28% is such a weird ass number

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
Think he read the blog post from ECS about the MK5 GTI and how you can get one and upgrade everything for under 10k?
did not read that but i bet it exists

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.

View attachment 274396
I have no idea what the tint was on my R, but I'd bet that was around 25-30% and it was never a problem. My GTIs had 15% tint and that was dark enough that at night I'd roll my windows down to see sometimes.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
i too like 35ish%

cb1111

28% is such a weird ass number
Yes, but if you do 35% over whatever is on the car, then it most likely comes out to that. The Audi looks to have some significant tint already (low 70's?) 80% plus the 35% =28% - but, the tint plus window combo "adds" more tint so it probably works out to 26.

SK should go by the tint shop and ask them to measure his existing tint. If they don't have a tint meter, then don't go to that place.

Status
Not open for further replies.