GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Changing to digital climate controls

3AFL

I just don't know
Has anyone ever done this? Gone from stock to the dual climate control/digital set up? I've been told that it isn't just plug and play, you need new wiring. Can anyone help me out? Thank you.

Stampedevxl

RACECAR > STANCECAR
Car(s)
really?
Other than the cool little screens its a pain lol.
you have to take your hands of the wheel and turn the little wheel like 10the times to get the right temp

PatientlyWaiting

is waiting patiently
The controller is not plug and play. Climatic has a cable actuated vent selector, the climatroic uses a digital control. The retrofit requires the removal of the dash and the replacement of the blower controller with the climatronic version. I believe the only one to do this successfully was Maloonsheck and he is a wiring / retrofit wizard.

3AFL

I just don't know
OK, so its a lot of work. And if i was able to get it done, i would be among a few. Time for deep thinking. Thank you guys for your help.

PatientlyWaiting

is waiting patiently

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?3622612
If you are going to seriously undertake this, do your homework. Good luck.

What you need:
1. Climatronic airbox - complete
2. Climatronic controller (knobs) + radio trim
3. Dash sunlight sensor (my '06 has one factory installed )
4. Additional temp sensor for passenger side
5. Harness - I used OEM harness, but it is not difficult to make one. You need to wire the sunlight sensor and temp sensor. All other wires are pretty much there, just different pin configuration. I have soldered just one connector from climatronic harness to my car (plus added the wires mentioned above).
6. Bottle of G12 coolant for refill

Other things you need:
1. Scheduled service of discharging/recharging AC
2. 2 clamps to clamp disconnected heater pipes
3. 2 new seals for evaporator connections
4. Few feet of I believe 1" rubber tube to blow coolant of the heater core and pressured air source. Be careful when dealing with coolant; it is a DANGEROUS POISON!!!.
5. Small hands and flat M10 to reach one bolt the airbox is attached to the wiring retainer on the passenger side. An alternative is to remove the whole dash supporting bar, but I did not want to do it.

Quick how-to:
1. Discharge AC
2. Remove dash (removing dash is a piece of cake, removing central console is a effin PITA) with all elements blocking the airbox from removing
3. Clamp heater pipes and disconnect them (PITA to pull them out). You will need plenty of rugs to avoid spilling. Blow coolant off of the heater core with pressured air.
4. Disconnect AC pipes (2 bolts)
5. Remove 5 bolts attaching airbox to the dash supporting bar. Pull out the airbox, avoid spilling coolant (it is still in the heater core).
6. Optional step: disassemble airbox and pull out heater core, evaporator and PTC (if applicable). Install them in the climatronic airbox. I did it, as the donor heater core and evaporator were damaged. Plus I did not want the contaminate AC and cooling systems.
7. Reinstall the airbox. Put the rubber seal on the firewall first.
8. Reconnect AC pipes. Make sure you install new seals and the whole connection area is clean.
9. Clip back heater pipes. Make sure they are well seated. Remove clamps.
10. Wire the temp and sunlight sensors
11. Reinstall everything else.

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
Has anyone ever done this? Gone from stock to the dual climate control/digital set up? I've been told that it isn't just plug and play, you need new wiring. Can anyone help me out? Thank you.
BTW djordjio on vwvortex is selling pretty much everything you need to make the swap: FS: Dual Zone Climatronic Setup